Votes: 110 59.1%
  • Albertz

Votes: 76 40.9%

• Total voters

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
The poll today has 2 goals scored in Holland by midfield players who scored regularly scored in the big games both domestically and in European competition.

Goal 1 is from the first ever European Super Cup in 1973 and scored by Alex MacDonald against an Ajax team widely regarded as one of the greatest club sides ever. Cup Winners Cup holders Rangers had lost the Ibrox first leg 3-1 to European champions Ajax and had a mountain to climb in the Amsterdam return leg. We shocked the star studded Dutch team by taking the lead through this Doddie goal, a 20 yard unsaveable strike after a very unintentional "assist" from centre forward Derek Parlane.

Goal 2 is from the 1999 Champions League and scored by Jorg Albertz against Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven. No goals into the last 10 minutes, substitute Albertz scored the vital winner with a trademark Hammer volley, taking advantage of a fortunate break of the ball after an attempted shot from centre forward Michael Mols.

2 of my favourite midfield players adding to their collection of goals on the big stage. 2 Dutch crowds silenced. But which goal was better?

Another video made possible by @Rangers Archive Footage

Alex for me.Although I have special memories of Albertz goal as was there as 21 year old after spending day in Amsterdam.

Really difficult. Went for Albertz because it won the game and points I think and Mols was dogged in winning his tussle just before. Doddie the Proddy's was a peach too

The good old days when the Continent used to be black and white.

Gotta go with Der Hammer on this one though. Cleaner strike.

Albertz for me. He caught it just right as it dropped out the air. I was also there in person to see it which maybe helped tipped the balance in favour of Jorg.

Hate voting against Albertz but couldn't vote against Doddie. Part sentiment but I do believe it was slightly the better strike.

The poll today has 2 goals scored in Holland by midfield players who scored regularly scored in the big games both domestically and in European competition.

Goal 1 is from the first ever European Super Cup in 1973 and scored by Alex MacDonald against an Ajax team widely regarded as one of the greatest club sides ever. Cup Winners Cup holders Rangers had lost the Ibrox first leg 3-1 to European champions Ajax and had a mountain to climb in the Amsterdam return leg. We shocked the star studded Dutch team by taking the lead through this Doddie goal, a 20 yard unsaveable strike after a very unintentional "assist" from centre forward Derek Parlane.

Goal 2 is from the 1999 Champions League and scored by Jorg Albertz against Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven. No goals into the last 10 minutes, substitute Albertz scored the vital winner with a trademark Hammer volley, taking advantage of a fortunate break of the ball after an attempted shot from centre forward Michael Mols.

2 of my favourite midfield players adding to their collection of goals on the big stage. 2 Dutch crowds silenced. But which goal was better?

If tomorrow is the last one is it a biggy?

Have to go for Doddie on this one, never got to see him play long before my time but always comes across as a favourite of those who did see him at that era

We Alex for me , what a wee player he was wish we had the likes now - He knew what it meant
And our big jock knew too !

watched the PSV game in a bar in eindhoven with 3 other bears and what seemed hundreds of PSV fans. Albertz bangs it in, my mate and i are leaping about, the two others where too scared :D

Afterwards the PSV fans were fine, no issues at all.

Went for Albertz. Doddie was one of my favourite players growing up. At the time i never understood why he never got more games for Scotland. I met him once in hospitality, but never asked him, don’t know why. Possibly because its no big deal for me if Rangers players play for Scotland or not these days

MacDonald today.
Great strike with outside of the foot.
The Albertz goal was “just another Albertz cracker” mind you.

Albertz

Behind Davie Cooper Jorg Albertz is my favourite player.But I voted for Alex McDonald’s terrific strike.Both were tremendous goals but Alex just edges it for me.

Back