Which goal was better? Ferguson v Ferguson

Better goal?

• Derek

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Ian

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's poll is between two midfielders from the 1980s with the same surname.
Same surname but very different Rangers careers.

The first goal is from 1986, the first European campaign under Graeme Souness. In those early days under the manager, the young Derek Ferguson looked to be a future star. Here, we went to Boavista in Portugal with a slender 2-1 lead from the home leg. This terrific strike was the only goal of the game sending us through to the next round. This Ferguson really should have had a great Rangers career, but he threw it away. And he now earns his money from BBC Scotland.

The second goal is from 1989, as Rangers under Souness were driving towards reclaiming the title. Midfielder Ian Ferguson was facing his former club but still enjoyed celebrating this cracker as he opened the scoring in a 2-0 win moving us closer to being Champions. This Ferguson enjoyed a trophy laden Ibrox career, and is a Hall of Fame member of the club.

2 Fergusons. 2 very different Rangers careers. 2 very different reputations in our support. No doubt which player is more popular.
But which goal was better?

Last edited:
Ian`s.
Both good goals but Ian`s had a look of venom about it.

Derek was a good player for us up until a point, remember one game at Pittodrie where he played as the advanced midfielder with number 9 on his back.

Ian for me.

Looked a terrific striker of a ball.

A bit of an unsung Ranger imo.
Yep, always gave at least 6 or 7 out of 10 performance digging away in midfield, doing the essential but unglamorous work. I always wondered why we didn’t use him more as an attacking midfielder, given that’s what made his name.

Voted for his goal as well, looked to be better placed in the top corner. Both crackers though.

Big Nisbet behind the goals loving Derek Ferguson’s strike, class from Cooper as always. Has to go for this one

Both crackers

I prefer Ian's

I also love the ball boy ducking!
Not even watched Ian Ferguson's and was looking forward to that part of the goal!

For me though, Coops' build up play makes Derek's the better goal - as good as Ian's strike was in isolation.

Reactions: Baz
i think one of the ball boys who shat it from fergie's at love street might be robert grieve of the sun

All round, Dereks was the better goal. But Ian was by far the better player for Rangers. An absolute legend in my eyes.

Away goals count double in Europe so has to be Derek, who created the goal from the right there?

Voted Derek for the quality of the set up run but again, love both goals. Ian Ferguson's goal qualifies as iconic for me too, partly due to the strike but also the ballboy's reaction.

Ironically Ian's is from a woeful free kick by Brown and an equally as bad attempted clearance but the strike was sensational

Back