• Derek

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Ian

Votes: 109 66.5%

• Total voters
Ian for me.

Looked a terrific striker of a ball.

A bit of an unsung Ranger imo.
The sheer number od Old Firm games we won thanks to Ian Ferguson simply bullying their midfield was incredible. 10 seconds in and he had planted McStay or Grunt, and they never looked up for it as much thereafter.

Gone for Ian, the ferocity of that shot;the accuracy;simply superb.
I could watch it a million times over.
The ballboy`s reaction tells you how fast it was travelling....and the commentary too;
"tearing the net out" ! :D

Today's poll is between two midfielders from the 1980s with the same surname.
Same surname but very different Rangers careers.

The first goal is from 1986, the first European campaign under Graeme Souness. In those early days under the manager, the young Derek Ferguson looked to be a future star. Here, we went to Boavista in Portugal with a slender 2-1 lead from the home leg. This terrific strike was the only goal of the game sending us through to the next round. This Ferguson really should have had a great Rangers career, but he threw it away. And he now earns his money from BBC Scotland.

The second goal is from 1989, as Rangers under Souness were driving towards reclaiming the title. Midfielder Ian Ferguson was facing his former club but still enjoyed celebrating this cracker as he opened the scoring in a 3-1 win moving us closer to being Champions. This Ferguson enjoyed a trophy laden Ibrox career, and is a Hall of Fame member of the club.

2 Fergusons. 2 very different Rangers careers. 2 very different reputations in our support. No doubt which player is more popular.
But which goal was better?

I voted Derek cause I was right behind the goal. Ian's was a belter

By only taking into account the actual strike I vote Ian

But credit to the build-up play for Derek’s - amazing skill from my favorite player

Really surprised at the poll score so far.

I can only imagine folk are disregarding the genius of Cooper.
It's not just about the strike, although Ian's was probably marginally better(really close call), the Boavista goal was easily the better goal.

Ian. I’m sure that game finished 2-0 though rather than the 3-1 quoted in the OP? Sorry for being picky, especially if I’m wrong!

Ian. I’m sure that game finished 2-0 though rather than the 3-1 quoted in the OP? Sorry for being picky, especially if I’m wrong!

You're right, I was thinking of the home game against them a couple months before. Ferguson scored first in that too. I'll change OP.

Really surprised at the poll score so far.

I can only imagine folk are disregarding the genius of Cooper.
It's not just about the strike, although Ian's was probably marginally better(really close call), the Boavista goal was easily the better goal.
Was about to post the same, but had a wee look at latest input :cool:
I voted for best goal, rather than best strike

Derek for me - largely due to the quality of the build up to it from a quality player.
Both terrific strikes though

Ian is one of my favourite players of all time but gave it to Derek for the work before the actual finish.

Back