Which goal was better? Ferguson v Ferguson

Better goal?

• Iain v Italians

Votes: 99 53.8%
  • Ian v Poles

Votes: 85 46.2%

• Total voters

dh1963

The poll today is between 2 brilliantly struck goals scored in UEFA Cup matches in the 1980s, with the goals scored by players with virtually the same name.

Goal 1 was scored by striker Iain Ferguson against Inter Milan at Ibrox in 1984. 3-0 down from the first leg, Rangers had a real go at an Italian team full of world class players. This terrific top corner finish put us 2-1 up on the night, and Ferguson scored again in the second half for a 3-1 win and pride restored albeit we were knocked out.

Goal 2 was scored by midfielder Ian Ferguson against Katowice in Poland in 1988. A nervy 1-0 win at Ibrox meant a difficult away trip, but this top corner strike wrapped up a very impressive 4-2 win on the night.

2 perfectly struck shots. 2 namesakes whose Rangers careers turned out very differently. 2 very different times for Rangers within just 4 years.
But which goal was better?

@Rangers Archive Footage again to thank for this video.

Ian for me.

Great strike, with his weaker foot too.

The Inter goal is an absolute pearler! We made a really good fist of recovering from a horrible away leg against a really good team.

Voted vs inter , that was the same night septic beat rapid , later rescinded & I’m fairly sure u2 played the barrowland as well .

It was a pretty lively train back to Coatbridge that night .

Ps particularly enjoyed the result of the Tim’s replayed game .

Ian for me.

Although kudos to Iain for being the only Scottish player (I think) to have scored winning goals against Inter Milan, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

And for 3 different teams.
League Cup final and Scottish Cup final scorer too.

I remember when we signed him thinking he was the goalscorer we were crying out for, he really should have stood out in the Rangers team of that time.

I havent even looked at them but will go for the inter one.
What a night, east enclosure .
Left the stadium buzzing, what an inter team.
Brady got dogs abuse from the enclosure.
Italy had won the world cup only 2 years previous.
I think ally missed a sitter in milan?, was he sent off over there?

Iain v Inter for me.

Love the quality footage from the game against the poles though. Gives it added atmosphere.

The Inter goal is an absolute pearler! We made a really good fist of recovering from a horrible away leg against a really good team.

Thing is when Altobelli (sp) equalised, we needed to score five to qualify. That was never happening, but what a wonderful performance that night.

Oh, and it was the real Fergie for me.

Back