Which goal was better? Greig v Vanoli

Better goal?

• Greig

Votes: 96 43.2%
  • Vanoli

Votes: 126 56.8%

• Total voters

dh1963

The poll today compares 2 long range strikes into the Copland Road end net, struck by players playing at left back. The players themselves couldn't be more different.

Goal number 1 is from August 1975 and scored by John Greig. Over 750 games, 120 goals, captain, winner of trebles and a European trophy, and an all time legend.
Goal number 2 is from September 2003 and scored by Paulo Vanoli. At the club just over a season, won nothing, and this was his only Rangers goal (at the right end).

A poll on who was the better Ranger, even Paulo wouldn't vote for himself. But who scored the better goal?

Both great goals. Vanoli’s just pips it but great sight to see the ball flying into the net from the greatest Ranger.
No poll loaded all the same..

Both terrific strikes and I was at Ibrox to see Vanoli's.

They're on a par for me and because of that, I'll be voting for The Greatest Ever Ranger ahead of Paulo Vanoli.

No poll loaded @dh1963.

Was privileged to see both goals and lucky enough to be in the Govan behind Vanoli and almost perfectly in line with his wonderful strike but for me Greig wins this one. Slightly further out I reckon and manages to beat the keeper at his near post with the sheer power and quality of the strike.

Good to see Vanoli doing well as assistant manager at Inter Milan, alway seemed a likeable character

It should be impossible to even consider not voting for Greig in pretty much anything but this one is very tricky.

Saw both goals live.
Iirc we were winning when Greig scored and drawing late in the game at the time of Vanoli's goal.
Had to vote for Greig.

Saw both goals live.
Iirc we were winning when Greig scored and drawing late in the game at the time of Vanoli's goal.
Had to vote for Greig.

Greig's goal made it 1-0.
Then Peter McCloy threw one into his net near the end and it finished 1-1.

Closest comparison yet, but I'm going with JGs. Couple of yards further out, and the more modern ball is easier to hit.

Both great goals. My heart says Greig but I had to vote with my head and Vanoli gets my vote

At both going for John Greig .... just

Remember a game Colin Stein (maybe Alex Ferguson) went off injured at half time and John Greig scored a brace, after he went up and played centre forward. would and did play anywhere for Rangers - true legend

Some people will vote with the tinted specs on purely because one was a cult hero and the other was a journeyman, Greigs was a great strike but was more of a looping effort. Vanolis almost lifted the goalframe out of the ground and remains (for me anyway) the single hardest shot I think I've ever seen (at least on a par with one or two from big Jorg).

Some people will vote with the tinted specs on purely because one was a cult hero and the other was a journeyman, Greigs was a great strike but was more of a looping effort. Vanolis almost lifted the goalframe out of the ground and remains (for me anyway) the single hardest shot I think I've ever seen (at least on a par with one or two from big Jorg).

John Greig was a bit more than a cult hero!

Voted for Vanoli, tremendous strike.
Was at the game as well, I’m sure Ravanelli made his debut for Dundee that day.

My mate took pelters, shouted something along the lines of “Why are you shooting” moments before Vanoli near ripped the net off the posts.

Back