Which goal was better? Hateley v Laudrup

The better headed goal?

• Hateley

Votes: 135 64.0%
  • Laudrup

Votes: 76 36.0%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's poll is between 2 classic and unforgettable title winning headers.
With due respect to Terry Butcher in 1987 and Trevor Steven in 1990, these for me are the 2 most famous headed goals to win us a championship in the last 40 years.

1991 Mark Hateley v Aberdeen
We were on a poor run, decimated by injuries, and had recently lost our manager. They had gone top the previous week, were on a long unbeaten run, and only needed a draw. This goal set up 3 in a row in a last day showdown.

1997 Brian Laudrup v Dundee United
The night we had been dreaming of, 9 in a row. After looking like we would cruise to it, we had stumbled and only had one more game after this one. The greatest player of my lifetime scoring the goal that made that team immortal.

2 incredible celebrations. 2 great players. 2 brilliant headers. But which goal was the better one?

Today's poll is between 2 classic and unforgettable title winning headers.
With due respect to Terry Butcher in 1987 and Trevor Steven in 1990, these for me are the 2 most famous headed goals to win us a championship in the last 40 years.

1991 Mark Hateley v Aberdeen
We were on a poor run, decimated by injuries, and had recently lost our manager. They had gone top the previous week, were on a long unbeaten run, and only needed a draw. This goal set up 3 in a row in a last day showdown.

1997 Brian Laudrup v Dundee United
The night we had been dreaming of, 9 in a row. After looking like we would cruise to it, we had stumbled and only had one more game after this one. The greatest player of my lifetime scoring the goal that made that team immortal.

2 incredible celebrations. 2 great players. 2 brilliant headers. But which goal was the better one?

2 massive headers in our history and both brilliantly executed.

I've went for Hateley, just.

On a side note, DJ's header against Wales in 78 is probably the best header I've ever seen from a Rangers player.

I’m deferring on this one. Both incredible headers of huge significance. Can’t split them.
Totally get that but because I had a great view from my seat in the Copland rear for Hateleys header I’m going for that, if I shut my eyes I can still see Walters shimmy and then cross for the header as if it were yesterday and that tells me that that one was special and as others have said we were throwing the title away that year and required that last day win for the title so Marks by the narrowest of margins for me

This is tough but I’ll go for Hateley only because he got the better of big Eck to score.
Talking of great Rangers headed goals wee Alfie’s 2nd v Feyenoord this season is right up there.

So close, but Laudrup, just, for me. That goal is ingrained in my mind, will never forget it. Hateley's was an absolute belter too, what a leap, but Laudrup's for the cross, precision and power. And of course, 9 in a row.

The run by (Stevens?) past Walters made the cross possible for me as it drew the defender away giving him room.

The only poll I haven't voted in as I really can't choose.

Was indeed Gary Stevens, who played everywhere that day. Ended up sweeping behind Nisbet, Spackman and Hurlock iirc. Stevens was immense that match.

Struggling here, probably Laudrup just now. Will probably change my mind in half an hour!

Hateley was the better goal, Laudrups more iconic.

Butcher though against Aberdeen is one of my favourite goals of all time, one of the most important and iconic goals in our history.

Hateleys header IMO. Aberdeens defense was excellent in those days, but Hateleys determination and skill in the air gave them no chance.

I was at the Aberdeen game with my dad but had went to get a pie before it got busy and missed Hateley's goal :confused:

Tough choice. I’ve gone for Laudrup though, purely because it just shaded it in terms of importance. It’s crazy to think how important both these games were and yet none of them were broadcast live on tv.

Went for Laudrup (just).

Hateley hangs brilliantly in the air to head home from a great Mark Walters cross. Laudrup wants to win that and bullets it towards the corner leaving Sieb Dijkstra standing helpless

Brian Laudrup is my best ever Ranger in terms of ability, but the Hateley goal to me wins.

Not only was it slightly better, BUT I disagree with many here & think it was more important. Had we lost that day, with a depleted team from memory, we wouldn’t have won the league.

I went for Hateley. Gods header was shear class, just like the man himself, but v sheep in a title decider at Ibrox, that’s when the real men stood up. That header broke the sheep, and lead to Gods being relevant.

Always remember listening to Aberdeen game on the radio wi the old man. I was only 9 at the time and it was the first time I can remember him being really nervous about anything. We were jumping about the house going mental when that header went in.

Plumped for Laudrup just because a header of such quality was almost expected from Hateley, whereas that header from Laudrup was once in a lifetime stuff. There's also what that goal meant to the club.

Back