Which goal was better? Hateley v Laudrup

The better headed goal?

• Hateley

Votes: 135 64.0%
  • Laudrup

Votes: 76 36.0%

• Total voters
I think Laudrup's goal was probably the more significant as it meant 9iar - also extra points as headed goals from Laudrup were rare.

Hateley's header is in the awesome category in terms of it's execution and the power and direction he gets on it. This nicks it for me.

It's Hateley's and it's not even close for me.

Laudrup's is a cracking header but look at what Hateley has to do for his - Outjump one of the best centre backs in the country, arch his body backwards and still find the direction and power to put it in the top corner away from the keeper.

It is a phenomenal header. Possibly the best from a Rangers player in my lifetime

Ignoring the significance of both goals makes it relatively easy.

Hateley's goal is a fabulous cross and brilliant header.

Laudrup's goal, although a decent cross and finish is nowhete near as impressive.

I think that was the only header that Laudrup scored for Rangers. For that reason alone he gets my vote. We didn’t think he could head a ball up until then.

I’m going for Hateley because:
  • That match was like a cup final, it was them or us winning the title that day and his goal gave Rangers an effective 2 goal cushion.
  • It put the lid on him turning the support in his favour. Make no mistake about it, Hateley struggled in that first season (a lot of it justified) and the boo boys had it in for him
  • McLeish was no mug and getting the yard or space & the height on him was technically a difficult task
  • In terms of importance of winning that day... it kept the title run going, it bolstered Walter Smith’s credentials (again, many didn’t fancy him for manager at all to start with), it made Hateley as a Rangers player

Love these polls by the way - a great opportunity to let the mind wander into football & Rangers for a while and remember the circumstances around goals.

It’s amazing how much you do remember about Rangers games from a period of your life. My teens were spent watching Rangers NIAR run and I’m happy to have very clear memories of it - a time before job, family and being an adult kind of gets in the way!

I went for Laudrup (just) due to the significance of the occasion, it is a big milestone in our history and a cracking header.

Hateley's header is a belter, he endeared himself to the fans that day, it was huge for us to win that game. I remember getting the back of the hand of the guy next to me across my face when he jumped up. Tears of joy mixed with tears of pain.

Where would the fun be if it was easy? :))
Aye right enough - I’ll go for Hateley’s header then. I was actually an usher at my uncle’s (and also massive bear) wedding. I had a transistor radio in the inside of my jacket pocket to keep tabs on the game for everyone.

Cool story bro, but that’s my obscure reason for picking one over the other :D

Hate to vote against Laudrup but for me Hateley's was the better goal.
And DJ's against Wales was the best headed goal I've ever seen by any player.

Went for Hateley.

Laudrup clinched 9 in a row but without Hateley's header there may never have been 9 in a row.

Hateley for me , think it also gave him the confidence to kick on from there - if memory serves me correct he wasnt exactly tearing trees up at the time - and become the player he did with us

Tough one but Hateley for me . Last game of the season was it not and so critical to the game and winning the championship. Whilst the 9 in a row goal was historical there were more games after it could have been clinched too . My memory though might be totally wrong .

Hateley scored a cracking header against hearts at Ibrox into the Copland road in the 90’s, swear it was harder than some shots are hit.

Opening day of 93/94 season

THAT header is at 3.50, but start at 3.35 because the previous header v Hearts is every bit as good and shows just brilliant in the air he was.

THAT header is at 3.50, but start at 3.35 because the previous header v Hearts is every bit as good and shows just brilliant in the air he was.
Superb!! That’s the header I was talking about, he was brilliant in the air.

Hateley for me. My favourite ever goal. Was at a more critical point as well, we absolutely had to win.

2 massive headers in our history and both brilliantly executed.

I've went for Hateley, just.

On a side note, DJ's header against Wales in 78 is probably the best header I've ever seen from a Rangers player.
No Chance!! Best header from a Rangers player is Kenny Miller league cup final, 9 unbreakable men.

Laudrup's for me, just because of the magnitude of the game, after blowing it against Motherwell at home it was relief to get 9-in-a-row done!

Surprised I didn't go with the majority on this one, as I have on all previous.

Hateley got between two CBs and hung in the air, but Laudrup never scored with his head v much and really launched himself for that, so he got my vote

No Chance!! Best header from a Rangers player is Kenny Miller league cup final, 9 unbreakable men.

Kenny's was a terrific goal mate and an incredible result, no question.

However, when I saw the footage of DJ's header v Wales it beats any other header I've seen for Rangers.

He scored a cracking header the week before in the cup final against Aberdeen.

Yeah, that was a cracker too mate, in fact I've seen a right good few beauties from him.

It's just my opinion, but for me, the one against Wales was special.

I've gone for Hateley because of the emotion involved in the day.
Souness leaving, half a squad injured, needing to win etc etc.

And do you see the height he gets?

Back