Which goal was better? Henderson v Aluko

Better goal?

• Willie Henderson

Votes: 88 43.6%
  • Sone Aluko

Votes: 114 56.4%

• Total voters

dh1963

Not sure how well today's poll will work, but let's find out. Today the vote is between 2 solo goals scored by wingers in famous wins at Ibrox over Celtic.

The first goal is the oldest goal I've posted so far, scored 56 years ago in the Scottish Cup in 1964. A goal my old dad used to still talk about decades later. It was a season Rangers were going for a treble, and this was the last time we beat Celtic at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup. Rangers won 2-0, with the goal of the game scored by one of the greatest wingers in our history, Willie Henderson. The film is black & white and not as clear as modern technology, but there's no hiding the pace, skill and finish from a Hall of Fame member. The video is a Henderson tribute and the goal starts just after 30 seconds in. We did win the treble that season.

The second goal was an emotional day in 2012. Rangers in administration, the club in chaos, and Celtic needing a win to clinch the title in our stadium. Winger Sone Aluko opened the scoring with this solo goal, setting up a memorable 3-2 win, and allowing us a show of defiance before the unknown we were heading towards. Obviously this will be the only goal most here remember.

2 wingers, one a club legend and the other a shining light for just one season. 2 sensational goals putting Celtic to the sword. 2 goals scored 48 years apart. Trying to take the quality of the film into account, which goal was better?

I’m going for Aluko based on nothing more than expectancy.
I guess though, that he did have a wee bit more to do than Henderson in terms of evading tackles.
By all accounts, not often I can say these days that I’m too young to remember, you‘d expect that type of excellence from Henderson.
Aluko, not many would have thought that was going to happen.
It was also one of the most emotional games I’ve ever been at.

Not sure how well today's poll will work, but let's find out. Today the vote is between 2 solo goals scored by wingers in famous wins at Ibrox over Celtic.

The first goal is the oldest goal I've posted so far, scored 56 years ago in the Scottish Cup in 1964. A goal my old dad used to still talk about decades later. It was a season Rangers were going for a treble, and this was the last time we beat Celtic at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup. Rangers won 2-0, with the goal of the game scored by one of the greatest wingers in our history, Willie Henderson. The film is black & white and not as clear as modern technology, but there's no hiding the pace, skill and finish from a Hall of Fame member. The video is a Henderson tribute and the goal starts just after 30 seconds in. We did win the treble that season.

The second goal was an emotional day in 2012. Rangers in administration, the club in chaos, and Celtic needing a win to clinch the title in our stadium. Winger Sone Aluko opened the scoring with this solo goal, setting up a memorable 3-2 win, and allowing us a show of defiance before the unknown we were heading towards. Obviously this will be the only goal most here remember.

2 wingers, one a club legend and the other a shining light for just one season. 2 sensational goals putting Celtic to the sword. 2 goals scored 48 years apart. Trying to take the quality of the film into account, which goal was better?

I don’t mean to digress but, what a horrible stat that is.

Voted for Willie's goal based upon the fact that he never lost control of the ball whilst running at pace on a surface that was inferior to modern day pitches. Sonny Aluko's goal was a peach too, but for me WH just shades it.

I was at the Aluko game and it was a terrific goal, but the pace of Henderson as he flies past McNeil is a joy to behold.

Apart from Alan Morton, Willie Henderson is probably the greatest Scottish born winger in our history.

He's definitely getting my vote.

Henderson - not sure the video does the goal justice.
For me he collects the ball slightly further out and retains great control despite the pitch.
Both only actually beat one man on their way into the box before two men come to close both down inside the box - Henderson shoots while Aluko checks inside of the two defenders before shooting. This makes Aluko's look more impressive but considering the pitch I've went for WH. The ball actually takes a couple of serious bobbles both at the start of his run and just before shooting - not sure some of our modern day prima donnas could have coped on the kind of pitches seen in the 60's and 70's

Even my old Father in law, a Celtic fan, said Henderson was the better player between him and Junkie Johnstone, and given every Scottish manager at the time also picked Henderson over Johnstone time and time again then he must have been special. Would have loved to see him in his prime.

Good poll OP. It’s close but I’m going to go for Henderson. Love the way he just drove forward directly toward their goal, beat a man with ease and got the shot away.

To be fair, we've only played them at Ibrox once in the Cup since, the 2-2 game Jamie Ness scored in.
Plenty times in that time we got drawn at the piggery.
Thanks for clarifying.
That was the only game I could think of.

Before I looked at the goals I was certain I'd go with the Aluko goal.

But wee Wullie wins it for me, what a goal, and the wee bit at the end when he dinks the ball over the mentally challenged, Messi-esque! :))

Pity the coverage of Wee Wullie's goal didn't last a couple seconds longer.

On the footage of it I've seen previously, he turns round to the Celtic end with both arms raised and stands there in a GIRUY pose.

Fantastic.

What a legend.

Henderson is one of my all time favourite players but Aluko's goal gets it for me.

Loved Willie Henderson - he was a star and lit the game up, there is no comparison on what Willie did for Rangers and Scotland (when we supported them) but thought the Aluko goal was slightly better. Tough voting against a legend

Aluko, only as we had less space to get through. Both cracking goals though. And others are right, wee Wullie was a tremendous player.

Went for Aluko. Terrific goal and a game that I will remember for a long long time.

If you watch the extended version of the Scottish Cup game v the mentally challengeds you will see the wee barra having words with Willie O' Neill on his way back to the centre circle. O'Neill is supposed to call him a "Wee orange bastard"

Back