Which goal was better? Henderson v Aluko

Better goal?

• Willie Henderson

Votes: 88 43.6%
  • Sone Aluko

Votes: 114 56.4%

• Total voters
Aluko for me. Really wish we’d got to see more of him at Ibrox. What a wonderful 6 months he gave us in an otherwise horrendous period!

I've gone for Wee WullIe's. Better close control,

A close call behind Slim Jim for my favourite player from the era. He was host one day in The Thornton Suite when we were playing them, I had a good chat with him at HT. , asked him probably the most common question he was ever asked; "what it was like to score against them at Ibrox? he looked off into the distance with his eyes glazed over, looked up at me, with his face breaking into a massive grin; the one the old timers had seen out on the pitch so many times and blurted out "Fckn magic".

One of the greats.

I’ve went for Aluko but loved watching Willie Henderson a fantastic player who deserves more praise in Scotland

To be fair, we've only played them at Ibrox once in the Cup since, the 2-2 game Jamie Ness scored in.
Plenty times in that time we got drawn at the piggery.

It's pretty mental that considering how far into cup runs we both always go season after season.

I’ve went for Aluko but loved watching Willie Henderson a fantastic player who deserves more praise in Scotland

And why doesn't he get that praise?

I'll keep on repeating it, Scotland beat England at Hampden in 1962 for the first time in a quarter of a century.

The Scotland winger that day, Scotland's regular winger, was Alex Scott.

He was already by then a Rangers reserve.

That's how good 17 y/o Willie Henderson was.

Last edited:
Aluko by the proverbial ball hair.

On a side note, how quick was Willie Henderson? Even watching old footage as a kid it always seemed like the film had been sped up whenever he was on the run.

We’ve only been drawn at home once since then.
I know, the op pointed that out.
I just thought there must’ve been more when I read the “record headliners dream” :) line.
I am sure we were drawn at home against them, maybe mid to late seventies, but Kilmarnock beat them in the previous round.
Useless information time!

It's not that horrible a stat.

Post WW1

We were drawn against them at Ibrox in 1920 - we won
1953 - we won
1964 - we won
2011 - we drew (a disgrace mind you)
1920, 1953 both before 1964?:)
You’re right about 2011.
Two nil up, I think and them down to ten men.
I can’t remember when they scored, if it were before Naismith was sent off or not.

Aluko by the proverbial ball hair.

On a side note, how quick was Willie Henderson? Even watching old footage as a kid it always seemed like the film had been sped up whenever he was on the run.

McNeil certainly looks in slow motion as Henderson flies past him.

1920, 1953 both before 1964?:)
You’re right about 2011.
Two nil up, I think and them down to ten men.
I can’t remember when they scored, if it were before Naismith was sent off or not.

I was working that Sunday night, so I wasn't at the game.

I think we scored first, they equalised and then went ahead from a Whittaker penalty. The Rangers squad playing that day was a disgrace.

When the mong did his hands out thing at Djiouf, a Rangers player should have done him. That piece of excrement has been allowed away with murder ever since.

I know, the op pointed that out.
I just thought there must’ve been more when I read the “record headliners dream” :) line.
I am sure we were drawn at home against them, maybe mid to late seventies, but Kilmarnock beat them in the previous round.
Useless information time!

I think Colin Stein played for Killie when we played them.

It’s got to be aluko for me great skills and finish done at pace after taking 2/3 defenders out the game , for me there is Some poor defending for Hendersons goal.

Killie beat them with Stein in the team the night we "battered" Forfar in the LC SF.

Did Stein not play against us in the next round? We won 4-1, Johnny Hamilton scored. I thought Colin played that day.

He might well have done.
All I can remember is the score and maybe Coop missing a pen?

From a Colin Stein career summary online

But it was the Scottish Cup which gave Stein his last taste of glory when he played in the Kilmarnock team which sensationally beat Celtic to earn a trip to Ibrox in the quarter-finals. Rangers had to pulp all the tickets they had somewhat presumptively printed advertising their opponents as Celtic. Killie were beaten 4-1. Stein didn’t score but it was perhaps fitting that Ibrox was the ground where he played his last full 90 minutes.

He made a couple more starts for Killie but never lasted the full match. His final appearance as a player was also at an appropriate venue, Gayfield Park, Arbroath. This was the ground where Stein had made his hat-trick debut for Rangers almost ten years previously but his last appearance was in sharp distinction to that game. On April 1st 1978 he came on as a substitute in a league match Killie lost 1-0 in front of just 921 spectators.

Freed by Rangers at the end of the season, Colin Stein retired just before his 31st birthday.

Henderson - not sure the video does the goal justice.
For me he collects the ball slightly further out and retains great control despite the pitch.
Both only actually beat one man on their way into the box before two men come to close both down inside the box - Henderson shoots while Aluko checks inside of the two defenders before shooting. This makes Aluko's look more impressive but considering the pitch I've went for WH. The ball actually takes a couple of serious bobbles both at the start of his run and just before shooting - not sure some of our modern day prima donnas could have coped on the kind of pitches seen in the 60's and 70's
Or the balls they played with then.

Some earliest childhood memories at Ibrox include Willie Henderson and Willie Johnson leaving the opposition standing (recall the mantra in my head, ours is the Johnston without the e ! because even then, at 7 years old, it was so important be clear who's side you were on).

However, went for Sone's goal coz he's got unwashed all around him and he just wades in and casts them aside!

Henderson - not sure the video does the goal justice.
For me he collects the ball slightly further out and retains great control despite the pitch.
Both only actually beat one man on their way into the box before two men come to close both down inside the box - Henderson shoots while Aluko checks inside of the two defenders before shooting. This makes Aluko's look more impressive but considering the pitch I've went for WH. The ball actually takes a couple of serious bobbles both at the start of his run and just before shooting - not sure some of our modern day prima donnas could have coped on the kind of pitches seen in the 60's and 70's
Yeah, good analysis.... also mud used to stick to your moulded-stud sole, slowing down your speed as the game progressed

Back