Which goal was better? Jardine v Van Bronckhorst

Better goal?

• Sandy

Votes: 99 47.6%
  • Gio

Votes: 109 52.4%

• Total voters
Sandy’s for me because of the significance, the opposition & the fact it was with his weaker foot.

Both excellent goals although keepers would be disappointed. Plumped for Sandy's as I was at the game with my late father who was a Clyde man but wanted to see Beckenbauer.

Simply can't vote against the goal that got us to Barcelona and win our only European trophy.

Sandy for me, especially as it was with his weaker foot.

Both keepers look badly at fault, particularly for Gio's.

Sandy's goal came in the first minute so caught the keeper off guard.

A little known goalkeeper by the name of Sepp Maier.

Both excellent goals although keepers would be disappointed. Plumped for Sandy's as I was at the game with my late father who was a Clyde man but wanted to see Beckenbauer.

Been watching a few videos of players before my time and Beckenbauer really was a true world class act.

There have been many arguments about players from the past who maybe would not be the same in the current game but I think Beckenbauer' style, presence, pace and awareness would make him the perfect modern player.

That is a cherished memory you have.

Sandy’s due to the importance.Scoring against a team which was primarily the group of players that would go on to win the WC two years later.Also we went onto record our greatest victory in any competition after that game.

Gio’s was good, but no one near the importance of what Sandy’s meant going forward.

Been watching a few videos of players before my time and Beckenbauer really was a true world class act.

There have been many arguments about players from the past who maybe would not be the same in the current game but I think Beckenbauer' style, presence, pace and awareness would make him the perfect modern player.

That is a cherished memory you have.
One of the best I've ever seen. My old dad said he wasn't as good as Wullie Mcvie.

Went for Sandy Jardine. Just meant so much at the time. We went on to win the cup in the next game. Both great goals

Today's poll is between 2 goals scored against top level European opposition.

In 1972, Rangers reached the semi finals of the European Cup Winners Cup and faced the mighty Bayern Munich. After a 1-1 draw away from home, the Ibrox second leg gave us the chance to reach a 3rd European final. An unlikely scorer set us on our way, Sandy Jardine scoring this long range shot in the first minute. One of our greatest ever results.

Then in 2000, Rangers visited the best team in France in the Champions League. Monaco were a club who were threatening to win a major European trophy, and the only goal of the game was scored by Giovanni van Bronckhorst with this 30 yarder in the first 10 minutes.

2 great strikes. 2 great European results. But which goal was better?

Sandy in royal blue

Gio for me

His best goal for us probably came as a consolation in a tanking at the piggery

Last edited:
Sandy.

GVB’s was a great strike, but Jardine’s was in a European Semi-Final against a Bayern Munich side which would shortly dominate European football for the next few years and which effectively doubled as the W German National team which would lift the World Cup 2 years later.

To score THAT goal against THAT side in THAT match - no contest.

Ps - Loving these polls DH, keep them coming!

Today's poll is between 2 goals scored against top level European opposition.

In 1972, Rangers reached the semi finals of the European Cup Winners Cup and faced the mighty Bayern Munich. After a 1-1 draw away from home, the Ibrox second leg gave us the chance to reach a 3rd European final. An unlikely scorer set us on our way, Sandy Jardine scoring this long range shot in the first minute. One of our greatest ever results.

Then in 2000, Rangers visited the best team in France in the Champions League. Monaco were a club who were threatening to win a major European trophy, and the only goal of the game was scored by Giovanni van Bronckhorst with this 30 yarder in the first 10 minutes.

2 great strikes. 2 great European results. But which goal was better?

I just saw this thread and haven't voted (yet) but if it's not Sandy then I despair of my fellow Bears.

Back