Which goal was better? Johnston v Lafferty

Better goal?

• Johnston

Votes: 96 45.9%
  • Lafferty

Votes: 113 54.1%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's poll is between 2 early goals in big games that were one touch lobs over the goalkeeper.

The first one is from November 1990. An injury hit Rangers went to Parkhead not long after defeating Celtic in the League Cup final in extra time. We were a goal up inside the first 10 minutes, and the scorer was the last player in our team the Celtic fans would want to see celebrating. This was Mo Johnston's only goal for us at Parkhead and set us up for a vital 2-1 victory. This turned out to be our last Parkhead win under Souness.
The video clip of this one features all 3 goals in the game, so you get the bonus of seeing Ally's robot dance celebration for his winner. Obviously, the poll goal is the first one.

The second one is from May 2011. Walter Smith's last game, a win at Kilmarnock would win us a 3rd successive title. Rugby Park was rammed full of Rangers fans desperate to see Walter end his reign as a winner. Any nerves were settled within a minute when Kyle Lafferty scored this goal.

2 strikers who could make headlines on and off the park. 2 great one touch finishes. 2 goalkeepers caught in no man's land. But which goal was better?

Lafferty for me, although I'm possibly swayed by the fact I was there and remember the atmosphere, emotion and magnitude of the day.

To be honest, the celebrations were equally mental for both goals.
And you could argue that as we only won the title on the last day that season too, goals like Mojo's in the crunch games ended up really mattering.

Maybe this poll at least might show that scoring against Celtic doesn't mean you win it :)

I'll go for Johnston's. Superb technique and because it must've totally sickened the scum fans after the abuse they'd been giving him.

Mojo just. The fact that it was against them at parkhead to sicken the unwashed and the shite he had to put up with edges it.

Oh what a teaser u are db1963! Laffs goal, fresh in our minds from the weekend, against the ultimate 'stuff-em' goal! Still Laff for me

Lafferty for me probably more due to the build up as both finishes were equally good.
Although Lafferty had the ball in front of him and Johnston had it coming over his shoulder making it technically more difficult to execute Lafferty had a defender pressing him whereas Johnston had more room.
Very tight but he's seven foot and he plays the flute :))

Both great goals but due to winning the league that day I'm going for lafferty. Great memories of that day, 4 of us together begund that goal, was absolute carnage.

I've gone Mojo, he saw the ball late and had a lesser target to hit it into with the keeper being better positioned.

Johnston´s goal for me. Made it look easy, but a more difficult chance to finish with as it was a wolley.

Don't think I've actually ever seen that Mojo goal before! Some finish, on the full and coming over at an angle. Plus it must have absolutely ruined so many of them for years watching him score against them at home!

I think we would have still battered Killie in 2011 without the Lafferty goal so I've went for Johnston based on the first impression of seeing it there.

Johnston’s was the better finish so voted for him, but the joy and relief when Lafferty scored remains with me. One of the great away days that one.

Don't think I've actually ever seen that Mojo goal before! Some finish, on the full and coming over at an angle. Plus it must have absolutely ruined so many of them for years watching him score against them at home!

I think we would have still battered Killie in 2011 without the Lafferty goal so I've went for Johnston based on the first impression of seeing it there.

That's one of the reasons I like including "older" goals in these polls, some might be a first viewing for younger fans.

Big Lafferty for me today, again maybe due to being there and with it being so early on the game relieved a lot of tension and set the tone for one of my best games to date following the bears.

Think a lot of votes will be similar to mine in that it's my age that decides it. Brilliant goal by Mojo but just remembering the feeling that day at Killie sways it in favour of Lafferty for me

Lafferty but enjoyed watching the rest of the Mojo video to see Hurlock crunching a Tim (was it Baggio?) before McCoist puts the keeper on his arse.

Johnston's was a harder finish therefore the better goal IMO.

The posts saying Lafferty's was more important, set the tone for the day etc are correct but it doesnt mean it was a better finish.

Back