Which goal was better? Johnstone v Steven

Better goal?

• Derek

Votes: 82 49.4%
  • Trevor

Votes: 84 50.6%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's poll is between two semi final winning goals against Aberdeen.

In 1980, Rangers were having a poor season and were underdogs in a Scottish Cup semi final against an Aberdeen team about to win the title for the first time under Alex Ferguson. Derek Johnstone proved the doubters wrong with this terrific turn and finish to score the only goal at Parkhead.

In 1990, Rangers faced Aberdeen at Hampden in a League Cup semi final at Hampden off the back of a terrible defeat at Tannadice that saw Terry Butcher then dropped. Trevor Steven cleared away the gloom with a great run and finish to score the game's only goal.

2 semi final winners. 2 1-0 wins over the sheep. 2 great players. But which goal was better?

One of the easier ones for me.

DJ has got his back to goal,a defender up his arse, yet takes a great touch to turn and fire it into the corner with his weaker foot.

No contest.

I loved the Trevor Steven goal, a big goal with the Terry Butcher situation about to break.

However, Dj's goal is better.

Have voted for DJ, a real strikers goal. Trevor Steven’s goal was a joy to behold but he definitely carried some luck.

As much as I rated Trevor Steven, especially in his first spell with us where he was on of THE top midfielders in Europe I'm gonna have to go for DJ.

The touch, turn against one of the top defenders of his time and shot with his weaker foot makes it a clear winner.

First time I've actually seen either of those goals so thats brilliant to see, cheers OP. It's a tough choice n I just went for Trevor Steven, love that touch in mid air that takes it away from the defender and has him clean through. Brilliant turn by DJ though and really could have went either way for me

First time I've actually seen either of those goals so thats brilliant to see, cheers OP. It's a tough choice n I just went for Trevor Steven, love that touch in mid air that takes it away from the defender and has him clean through. Brilliant turn by DJ though and really could have went either way for me
Same for me, never seen either of them before. Hard to say which is better but I do love a driving run from midfield like that.

As a side note how much better was that commentary in 1990 than the general pish we endure these days.

One of the easier ones for me.

DJ has got his back to goal,a defender up his arse, yet takes a great touch to turn and fire it into the corner with his weaker foot.

No contest.
Pretty much my own view.
I’d only add that for a guy that size to turn a top class defender that way was brilliant in itself.
When I say “that size” I mean it’s more the smaller framed players who can turn so well in a small, tight space.
Not that Johnstone was fat.

Big D.J. for me,I was at that game we were under the cosh for a long parts of it big gas meter had an exceptional game that day.

Trevor Stevens finest hour in a Rangers jersey that night, he was sensational.

Souness called it the most complete midfield performance he had seen.

DJ for me.

My first ever visit to the piggery.

DJ's first touch was superb for the goal and we really worked hard that day for the win.

I'm always likely to vote for DJ but Trevor was a terrific player too.

However, DJ's goal also included some nice play from Davie Cooper and there was a touch of luck about Trevor's so it's DJ for me.

Pretty much my own view.
I’d only add that for a guy that size to turn a top class defender that way was brilliant in itself.
When I say “that size” I mean it’s more the smaller framed players who can turn so well in a small, tight space.
Not that Johnstone was fat.
Simply a little plump?

DJ’s goal for me.
But just seeing Steven, McCoist, Johnston and Walters celebrating the goal, just shows the quality we had in that era.

My first ever Rangers game and my hero and our Captain scored the winner against Fergie's sheep who were strong favourites and went on to win the league.

Trevor Steven's goal could rival Maradona's second against England in 86 and I'd still vote for DJ.

Big DJ for me. The Trevor Stevens goal has fond memories for me, though, as after the game I went to the pub and met up with a 40 year old mature bint I was seeing and had tremendous whoopee after it.

Big DJ for me. The Trevor Stevens goal has fond memories for me, though, as after the game I went to the pub and met up with a 40 year old mature bint I was seeing and had tremendous whoopee after it.

That's a scoring move I'm not looking for in YouTube

Back