Which goal was better? Laudrup v McKay

Better goal?

• Brian

Votes: 166 61.0%
  • Barrie

Votes: 106 39.0%

• Total voters
I'm sure the Op has said previously that Laudrup has never won of these votes so it's not entirely down to admiration of the players involved.

They are both excellent strikes and sometimes it takes a small margin to decide either way.

He's certainly lost more than he's won.

Great strike by McKay but Laudrup's first touch when the header flick on was just behind him then the control on the shot just edges it for me.

People will naturally opt for the Great Dane simply because he was by far the better footballer, but I actually feel McKay’s strike is better in this instance

Laudrup‘s a more thought through and he knew exactly what he was going to do.

I’m going for his rather than McKay’s seems more instinctive to the goalie being a distance from his post or whatever a professional footballer sees that tells him such a chance is on.

Surprised at the results. You see a curler like Gods every other Saturday. I think people are voting for the player not the goal.

Today's poll is between goals scored in Edinburgh in games Rangers lost, so they don't get thought about very often. Scored during very different periods in our history by the main creative wide man in the side.

Goal 1 is from March 1995 and scored by Brian Laudrup. A Rangers team going for 7 in a row were 2-0 down at Tynecastle just before half time. Like many times that season, the player who got us back in the game was the Great Dane with this brilliant curling shot. Unfortunately we couldn't find an equaliser in the second half.

Goal 2 is from April 2016 and scored by Barrie McKay. Rangers were winning the Championship and finally going back to the top division and the previous weekend had famously beat Celtic in the Cup. However, at Easter Road we were 3-1 down with not long left when McKay gave the Rangers fans hope with his second spectacular shot in the space of 4 days. We lost 3-2.

2 consolation goals. 2 Capital defeats. 2 goalkeepers well beaten. Precision v Power.
Which goal was better?

Thanks again to @Rangers Archive Footage for creating this video comparison.

Any poll on here that has Laudrup as an option can only have 1 outcome.

Laudrup for me. McKay's was an excellent strike but something more special about how Laudrup picked up the ball and deftly lobbed it into the top bin.

Yeah he made a right howler:rolleyes:

The keeper is in no man's land for Laudrup's - the fact he's so far off his line allows him to pick his spot, albeit the execution is superb. McKay has no right putting it in the top right bin given the position of the defender (who is also obfuscating the keeper's view). The movement and power on the ball means he has no chance.

If this Laudrup goal was scored by say Lewis macleod up against this mackay goal there is no way people would pick Lewis macleods over mackay but Laudrup is winning this vote purely because he's God.

This is true. TBF, I felt dirty picking Billy Dodds over Mols in one of the earlier head to heads.

Vert hard to separate those two. I went for Laudo's. It was a touch more thoughtful, andexquisitely placed. Barry on the other hand, saw his opportunity and gave it a skelp.

Given the strike he produced not long before this match, I think McKay has a fair idea where his strike was going. He was a fair striker of the ball, great control, pace and could pass well. He was actually good at tracking back as well when he could be arsed. The only problem was his commitment which seriously let him down.

What absolute f*cking nonsense. :D
Agree - doesn't even make sense.

Given the strike he produced not long before this match, I think McKay has a fair idea where his strike was going. He was a fair striker of the ball, great control, pace and could pass well. He was actually good at tracking back as well when he could be arsed. The only problem was his commitment which seriously let him down..
My wording was bad. I didn’t mean to suggest McKay was lucky, just more reliant on power whereas Laudrup’s was beautifully placed

Given the strike he produced not long before this match, I think McKay has a fair idea where his strike was going. He was a fair striker of the ball, great control, pace and could pass well. He was actually good at tracking back as well when he could be arsed. The only problem was his commitment which seriously let him down.

Agree - doesn't even make sense.

Strangely enough I can only remember two class 'fair' strikes of the ball from McKay.

I also don't go with the commitment stuff. (this is not a dig at you here) overall he just wasn't good enough.

Flashes of skill no question, but at a lower level.

I'm not Kent's biggest fan, but he's miles ahead of Barrie McKay.

Strangely enough I can only remember two class 'fair' strikes of the ball from McKay.

I also don't go with the commitment stuff. (this is not a dig at you here) overall he just wasn't good enough.

Scored a cracker on his debut against Linfield and there were others during *shiver* The Journey. Has also boshed some in while down south.

It's something in his locker for sure, but comparing him to Kent is wild.

The keeper is in no man's land for Laudrup's - the fact he's so far off his line allows him to pick his spot, albeit the execution is superb. McKay has no right putting it in the top right bin given the position of the defender (who is also obfuscating the keeper's view). The movement and power on the ball means he has no chance.

Still hardly a "howler" though.

Sadly you are right - McKay either never had the confidence to let fly or was told to stay on the wing and create for others - which he did well enough.

There are other strikes apart from this one v Hibs and the one v the tramps but those two stick out a mile.

I believe there was a player there - he was better than any of the kids that came through by a mile, MacLeod, Ness, Murdoch Middleton.

He commitment and bottle was sadly lacking and this let him down big time - a fine talent that blew it for himself.

Kent has the bottle and the confidence for the big time - put those qualities in McKay and there is not much between the players.

Laudrup, took a touch and put it where he wanted. In comparison Barrie has just had a dig and beat the keeper.
Two Braw goals though.

Fairly certain McKay's strike came a day or two after Craig Gordon said in an interview that 'he (McKay) was a one hit wonder could hit another 100 balls and not do it again' in reference to the glorious goal he scored against that lot in the Scottish cup semi.

Then he goes out and scores another cracker

Barrie's confidence high after OF and technically a tremendous strike, but Brian assessed his position against two defenders and the keeper's position and urged it to perfection! BL

Back