Which goal was better? Miller v Brown

Better goal?

• Alex

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • Bomber

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

dh1963

Recent polls have featured some of our most entertaining attacking players and regular scorers of great goals. Not today.
This time, the 2 featured goals were scored by dependable long serving defenders, not remembered as creative or as a goal threat. And both goals were scored in 3-0 wins against Motherwell at Ibrox in title winning seasons.

Goal 1 is from April 1975, the scorer Alex Miller. It was the season we finally ended Celtic's domination of the league, preventing 10 in a row, and this was the game we played the Saturday before the immortal game at Easter Road when we clinched the championship and ended that long wait. The opening goal was this long range Alex Miller shot at what is now known as the Copland end.

Goal 2 is from December 1989, the scorer John Brown. Rangers were title holders and top of the table, with this being our 3rd goal near the end to confirm a comfortable victory. Earlier in the game Ally McCoist had scored a great goal to break the record for SPL goals, before Bomber blasted in another memorable effort, also at the Copland end.

2 powerful accurate shots from outside the box. 2 unlikely scorers. 2 well beaten Motherwell goalkeeper. 2 mostly forgotten goals.
Which one was better?

The latest @Rangers Archive Footage comparison video.

I'm tempted to go for John Brown purely because it's better footage, but I think Miller just shades it. He seemed to get slightly more power on his shot.

Close one... I really couldn’t decide between a great technical strike from Miller, and a super shot from a favourite player of mine from a match that I remember well.

So I asked my 9yr old and he went for John Brown.

I was expecting to be voting for Miller' strike at the piggery being better than Brown's so I'll give it to Alex anyway although I remember the Brown one well. Think there was a similar effort from McCoist in the same game to equal or break a record IIRC.

Was never a fan of Alex Miller but that is a screamer and edges it from Bomber’s for me.

Back