Votes: 67 34.7%
  • Hibs

Votes: 126 65.3%

• Total voters

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
I suspect today's poll won't be close, but these are 2 goals I wanted to include in this daily series. The theme today is Super Sub Ally, probably the best 2 goals Ally McCoist scored for Rangers after coming off the bench. And both were scored during a difficult period for our goalscoring legend.

Goal 1 is from 1990. Rangers had 3 top class strikers, and manager Graeme Souness had settled on the Hateley - Johnston partnership as his first choice. Ally even earned the nickname "The Judge" as he spent so long on the bench. Around Christmas that year, Aberdeen visited Ibrox, for a vital game between the two top teams in the table. Because of an injury, Ally came off the bench in the first half determined to take his opportunity. And within a few minutes of the second half he scored this brilliant goal. He scored another one, although we blew our two goal lead late on in a 2-2 draw.

Goal 2 is an iconic goal from 1993. Ally was recovering from a broken leg and was a semi fit substitute in the League Cup final against Hibs at Parkhead. At 1-1 he came off the bench and within a few minutes he scored this memorable overhead kick to win the trophy. Roy of the Rovers stuff.

2 goals by a truly great goalscorer. 2 spectacular finishes. 2 goals wearing Number 14. Admittedly, one far more famous and significant than the other.
But which goal was the better one?

Another video created for this poll by @Rangers Archive Footage

Last edited:
I've got a feeling I'll be in a serious minority today, as the Hibs goal won us a cup right at the death, plus Ally was just back from injury.

However, if I'm just solely looking at the quality of the goals, then the Aberdeen one is the better executed one for me.

Both of them are top drawer though.

Imagine having Super in the team just now?

He's simply on a different level to any striker we've had since.

I've got a feeling I'll be in a serious minority today, as the Hibs goal won us a cup right at the death, plus Ally was just back from injury.

However, if I'm just solely looking at the quality of the goals, then the Aberdeen one is the better executed one for me.

Both of them are top drawer though.

Imagine having Super in the team just now?

He's simply on a different level to any striker we've had since.

Glad someone else thinks the same! But so many will look at the occasion too, not just the actual goal.

The Aberdeen goal was further out, against much better defenders, and required better accuracy.
But the Hibs one is iconic, I decided to put it against another McCoist goal to save some other player getting hammered in the poll!

Glad someone else thinks the same! But so many will look at the occasion too, not just the actual goal.

The Aberdeen goal was further out, against much better defenders, and required better accuracy.
But the Hibs one is iconic, I decided to put it against another McCoist goal to save some other player getting hammered in the poll!

Would love to have seen Ally live, when he was at his peak.

Alfredo is a terrific striker on his day, but Ally was just on a different stratosphere.

When you said it wouldn't be close I agreed and presumed you meant the Aberdeen goal would romp it.

It is by far the better goal.

Alfredo is a terrific striker on his day, but Ally was just on a different stratosphere.

Often overlooked that he played midfield for a lot of his first couple seasons, he played in a very poor team for 3 years, and he made a lot of substitute appearances over his career. Yet he still scored over 350 goals!

Aberdeen for me. The context of that game as far as I can remember was that we were losing or drawing and McCoist came off the bench and scored a double to win it. Souness dropped him again the next week at Tannadice. I remember having to stay with one of my Dad’s mates at Tannadice after my Dad got lifted for losing the plot at Souness and fighting with another fan over it :))

I think the technique as the ball cones across to his weaker foot is superb. The Hibs goal is a topper too but the Aberdeen one tops it for me.

The hitch-kick v the sheep is a wonderful goal but the winner v Hibs is something only McCoist could have come up with.

Obviously the scenario for the Hibs goal is the stuff of dreams, but the quality of the Aberdeen goal is better for me. Both worldies though!

Hibs is more iconic and pretty much sums up McCoist for always rising to the occasion. The amount of times he has been right place, right time to win games for us was incredible.

Aberdeen is the better goal though.

Both brilliant goals & under normal circumstances I would vote the sheep goal the winner as it’s a brilliant goal & not a normal SA strike.

However cos of the situation I voted Hibs. Roy Of The Rovers stuff.

Two absolutely top drawer finishes from the greatest ever striker to grace our club. Cup Final finish v Hibs is just typical Ally. What memories he has given us. Legend.

Last edited:
The Aberdeen one is up there with the best goals he’s scored for us.
As good as the Hibs one was it’s not one of the best goals he scored for us. It can’t just win for the occasion, although a lot of people do go for the occasion or their favoured player!
Aberdeen for me!
Thanks for posting again mate. Great memories.

Both great goals; the Hibs one back from injury is the better. The number 14 in both is significant- what a record of goal scoring which included a season as third choice striker.

I'm gonna go for the Hibs goal. I was right behind the throw in and remember laughing and thinking what a brilliant jammy b@stard superally was

Voted for Aberdeen which was the better goal but Hibs goal will be remembered as an iconic moment in our history.

Went for the goal against Hibs, purely because it was a cup final and he was coming back from injury.

I was at both games and had terrific views of both goals.I was in the Main stand for his goal against Aberdeen and, as soon as the ball left his foot, you knew it was going into the top corner. Against Hibs I was behind the centre of the goal. Amazing memories!

It would be interesting to run a poll between the Hibs goal and his header against Leeds.

He is a big favourite of mine, watching him was great/ frustrating.
He scored so many however he had great service, he also missed as many as he scored.
Treated unfairly at times but was deservedly punished due to his antics.

The cheeky smile after scoring was always good to see.

Aberdeen looks better technically...... but the Hibs one still makes me smile and the hairs stand on end.

WATP.

Hibs for me. Purely because I got to sing "The Sash in the jungle. We sang the Sash in the jungle. Sash in the jungle. We sang the Sash in the jungle."
:)):)):)):)):))

He is a big favourite of mine, watching him was great/ frustrating.
He scored so many however he had great service, he also missed as many as he scored.
Treated unfairly at times but was deservedly punished due to his antics.

The cheeky smile after scoring was always good to see.

1. If it was simply down to the service he got, why did nobody else score the number of goals he did? Fleck, Johnston, Hateley, Durie all international strikers who were in the same teams as him, yet over their Rangers careers Ally outscored all of them over the periods their careers overlapped.
2. Name me any striker who doesn't miss chances

Maybe I'm overreacting, but that line I've highlighted has annoyed me probably more than it should have.

The goal v Hibs for me.
Having seen both Coisty and Jim Forrest throughout their Gers careers I always favoured Jim as the better striker but having recently watched an Ally compilation of goals again I think I may just have changed my mind. Both excellent instinctive goalscorers but Ally’s variety of goals shades it for me now. Sorry Jim!

I was right behind both of these efforts as they sailed home , but I’m going for the cup final winner.

Oh happy days

The circumstances of the Hibs goal was true Roy of the Rovers stuff that only Super Ally could do.

However the better goal was against the sheep.

How much would Super be worth in today’s market?

Who else has won two European golden boots?

Back