Which goal was better? Super Ally edition

Better goal?

• Aberdeen

Votes: 67 34.7%
  • Hibs

Votes: 126 65.3%

• Total voters
Both goals were great. The Aberdeen one is probably better technically but went with the hibs goal due to the circumstances.

Super Ally would be worth a fortune these days. A lot of people seem to only remember him as a goal scoring poacher because of later on in his career, but he was much much more than that. I saw someone mention Kris Boyd earlier, McCoist was on a different planet to Boyd. McCoist could do so much more.

PS The fact my bedroom walls were covered on Super Ally posters in my youth has nothing to do with any bias i may have. :))

1. If it was simply down to the service he got, why did nobody else score the number of goals he did? Fleck, Johnston, Hateley, Durie all international strikers who were in the same teams as him, yet over their Rangers careers Ally outscored all of them over the periods their careers overlapped.
2. Name me any striker who doesn't miss chances

Maybe I'm overreacting, but that line I've highlighted has annoyed me probably more than it should have.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a signed photo of him in my room.
Im well aware of his movement and fight, he had great partnerships with loads of players, he was the lead goal scorer in them all.
However would be down the list of assists, he was by far the best at finding the space and was shoot on site.

One of my earliest clear memories of watching Rangers is super scoring that goal against the sheep that night , was in the east enclosure with my dad , I was 7

I’m going for Hibs.
It was an unbelievable script for one thing.
Then to get that back end off the ground was bordering on impossible.
If there was one player who could make it happen though, we’re discussing him in plenty today.
I’d concede that if I’m considering each strike in itself, I’d pick the goal against the sheep.

I've got a feeling I'll be in a serious minority today, as the Hibs goal won us a cup right at the death, plus Ally was just back from injury.

However, if I'm just solely looking at the quality of the goals, then the Aberdeen one is the better executed one for me.

Both of them are top drawer though.

Imagine having Super in the team just now?

He's simply on a different level to any striker we've had since.
Yip, nobody comes close.
Not Negri, not Jelavic, not Morelos and not even Mols.

Aberdeen was better in my opinion, love them when the land in the top bin too.
Hibs Over head was nice but kind of landed in the goal, I am being picky but would have looked better if it nestled in to the stantion or top corner.

I've got a feeling I'll be in a serious minority today, as the Hibs goal won us a cup right at the death, plus Ally was just back from injury.

However, if I'm just solely looking at the quality of the goals, then the Aberdeen one is the better executed one for me.

Agree think the Aberdeen one was a better goal

The Hibs one was the much more important goal but in terms of quality the Aberdeen strike was miles ahead.

Apart from in Legends games I don't think I've seen Ally looking more unfit - and carrying so much beef - as he did in that Hibs game. In typical fashion though it was real 'Super Ally' fairytale stuff.

Hibs - but not by much.
The Aberdeen goal was iconic, a great piece of thinking... and as the season turned out it was vital to get the point from that match.
To be honest, I’ve never really bought into the drama of McCoist being on the bench for a couple of months - he came on most weeks, and scored in most of those.
Souness was a bit ahead of his time in running 3 strikers and for the first 1/3 of the season he most often started with all 3 and Walters.
In the league, Hateley scored 10, Johnston 11, McCoist 11 & Walters 12 - it was a system that worked.

The Hibs one was iconic in its own way - back from injury and clinched the League Cup. Another great piece of skill and thinking.

For him being on a comeback from the legbreak, it being a cup final, it turning out that Durrant & McCoist scores the goals to win the cup then the Hibs goal gets my vote today.

The more I practice the luckier I get. Could easily have been a McCoist quote.

Sometimes accused of missing as many as he scored but McCoist was anything but lucky with some of the stuff he pulled off.

That goal v Hibernian was classic Super, you cant do anything other than shake your head and smile.

I believe the story goes that the Aberdeen one is what inspired Thierry Henry against Man Utd

The first goal is a thing of beauty, but the second one is one of my favourite goals of all time so got to be that one. I love Super Ally, I'll never tire of watching him.

Aberdeen for me as it came during the period Souness banished him to the bench, ,on comes Coisty and produces that and then the celebration.

He had come on as a sub in a few of the previous games and scored too,myself and most Bears I knew were raging at Souness for not starting him.

I'm not a betting man and would need someone to put a line on for me but I remember going into the local bookies and asking the guy if he'd put a line on for me in the new year game against the poets and he said 'No problem what's the bet?

I said 'McCoist first goalscorer'

He said 'You can't do that mate McCoist isn't the starting line up'

I said, 'I know I still want the bet,he's coming off the bench and will score,I'm betting it's the first goal'

They wouldn't take the bet:))

Coisty got the last laugh over Souness,many players would have said 'F**k this',given the situation.

What he says.

Hibs. Seem to remember the sub headline of imagine if he’d broke both legs or similar. Can’t remember if it was in the papers or said in the studio.

On another note on a parallel universe somewhere the crouch robot celebration is known as the McCoist (sh1te patter I know)

Back