Which goal was better. The grand finale

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
It started out on March 21st as a one-off, but grew into a daily start to the day during lockdown. "Which goal was better" ended up with 71 votes and 142 Rangers goals, the oldest from 1963 and the most recent just a couple of weeks before football stopped. Given my username I suppose 1963 was quite fitting.

For me, my personal lockdown is over, I go back to work 3 days a week starting this week. So it's time to wrap up this little labour of love for now. I hope this finale is the best way to do it.

On March 21st, and for the first 5 weeks, this involved a daily trawl through the internet looking for specific goal I remember, sometimes without success. From the start, the idea was to try to have a theme each day, whether the opposition, the type of occasion, the positions the players played, or some other way to justify that pairing. From April 28th, my job got so much easier, when the brilliant @Rangers Archive Footage volunteered to create a special video each day with the 2 goals. All I needed then was my memory, he did all the work.

So today, you need a bit of time to enjoy this thread. It's a permanent reminder of all 142 goals, put together in a single video. On the Archives site now for everyone to enjoy whenever they want, this compilation is entitled "Rangers goals to get through lockdown". And as a bonus, I had another 9 polls lined up next if I was still in the house every day, so it contains 160 individual memories. Some iconic goals. Some great ones. Good ones. Funny ones. Some of our great players. Some who could never be called that. Some immortal moments. Some largely forgotten. 31 minutes of Rangers viewing pleasure.

I hope all have enjoyed the daily walk down Rangers memory lane. Enjoyed the debate on Which Goal Was Better. Around 200 votes a day means the best part of 15,000 took part. I've really enjoyed it. My thanks to all who kept it going, for all the positive comments, to Rangers Archive Footage, and most of all to The Rangers, as without the world's greatest club none of it would happen.

PS you need to click on the video title, it then opens in a new window. Enjoy!

dh

Last edited:
I don't post much,but ive enjoyed your daily best goals thread haven't missed one. Thanks for all your efforts

A half hour video?

Wel, that's the morning coffee at work sorted. Might cast to the big screen!

Cheers @dh1963 and glad you are getting some normality back by getting to work.

Thanks for all your work on this mate, has been a great wee thing to look forward to during all of this.

When we’re all locked back down for the second wave(!) can we (you!) do a knockout tourney of say the 128 best... all the way down to the final, to establish the best Rangers goal?? ;):cool:

Thanks for all your work on this mate, has been a great wee thing to look forward to during all of this.

When we’re all locked back down for the second wave(!) can we (you!) do a knockout tourney of say the 128 best... all the way down to the final, to establish the best Rangers goal?? ;):cool:

I'll let you do the draw :))

A half hour video?

Wel, that's the morning coffee at work sorted. Might cast to the big screen!

Cheers @dh1963 and glad you are getting some normality back by getting to work.

You get half an hour tea break? Wish I worked there!

128 Rangers goals.

And the debate of those from 129 up would rage as to why they were not included!

I suppose it could be done in a "Goal of the season" style vote. Though I'll leave the logistics and technical shenanigans to others!

Unfortunately I was a bit late to the party with your threads, great work and effort put in.

128 Rangers goals.

And the debate of those from 129 up would rage as to why they were not included!

I suppose it could be done in a "Goal of the season" style vote. Though I'll leave the logistics and technical shenanigans to others!

Needs a volunteer still stuck in the house.

Although Davie Cooper wins it in the end ;)

Great work DH.
So many happy memories.
Thanks for all the hard work you put in over the lockdown period - much appreciated.

one of the highlights of my morning during the last weeks was when the youtube banner popped up asking which goal was better.

Fantastic effort pal. Good news on you going back to work.

Last edited:
Great effort mate, thoroughly enjoyed this wee daily walk down memory lane with the added bonus of a friendly debate as well. Top marks dh1963.

Big thanks cant say I voted on all however for sure watched and loved every one - whatever your real job is....is a waste ))

128 Rangers goals.

Could take the total number of votes for each of dh1963's original 142 and use that to shortlist 128?

Was only half-serious - I suspect that for good reason the ECWC goals would dominate. Would depend on the angle people came at it from though :)

Very genuinely, your efforts & dedication with this have made these last couple of months a bit more enjoyable. I’ve looked forward to seeing the selected goals each day, even trying to guess what the second one would be from the description of the first.

It has also given me a chance to show my son some older vintage goals without him having to sit through 20 minutes of footage and I’ve had him helping me vote.

Thank you for doing these.

I'm going to take my time and savour this stuff at my leisure.

But such wonderful stuff and your moniker couldn't be more fitting.

When I get a hold of that time machine, 1963 with Baxter in his pomp and majesty and the coming of The Beatles and the mania that ensued, would be my first port of call.

As my old man has always maintained. They hated Baxter because he treated them with the contempt they deserve.

Could take the total number of votes for each of dh1963's original 142 and use that to shortlist 128?

Was only half-serious - I suspect that for good reason the ECWC goals would dominate. Would depend on the angle people came at it from though :)
It would be a good, fun debate to be had. However, votes are likely to be age related - younger bears will vote for goals that have seen in the flesh or on tv. Older will like to reminisce over the bygone years.

Thing is, nobody would be wrong in their view.

I'm going to take my time and savour this stuff at my leisure.

But such wonderful stuff and your moniker couldn't be more fitting.

When I get a hold of that time machine, 1963 with Baxter in his pomp and majesty and the coming of The Beatles and the mania that ensued, would be my first port of call.

As my old man has always maintained. They hated Baxter because he treated them with the contempt they deserve.

I used to argue with neighbourhood tims in the early 70s that the only reason they won the European Cup is because we didn't have Baxter.
All based on the stories about him I got brought up on as I was waiting back then for that same time machine.

A massive thanks it's been great seeing amazing goals from the past even though most have been to hard to decide which one wins .

This series of "Which goal was better" has been fantastic, a definite daily highlight during lockdown. A massive thanks to you, @dh1963 and to Mr M of @Rangers Archive Footage for putting together the compilations.

This "final" compilation (surely not the last..), is a joy to watch. I would say throughout "that is the best goal " and then another beauty would come up courtesy of Albert, McCoist, Gazza, Cooper, Persson, Vanoli (did I really type that...)

What was also so pleasing, was saying to myself "I was there" for many of them. Once again many thanks for the final compilation, to be watched many more times.

Thanks for this mate, it was always a thread I looked out for, and although commented only sparingly, always voted and normally for the loser!

This series of "Which goal was better" has been fantastic, a definite daily highlight during lockdown. A massive thanks to you, @dh1963 and to Mr M of @Rangers Archive Footage for putting together the compilations.

This "final" compilation (surely not the last..), is a joy to watch. I would say throughout "that is the best goal " and then another beauty would come up courtesy of Albert, McCoist, Gazza, Cooper, Persson, Vanoli (did I really type that...)

What was also so pleasing, was saying to myself "I was there" for many of them. Once again many thanks for the final compilation, to be watched many more times.

@cadge_1959 you get thanks too. One day you happened to mention we should put all these goal in one video. Sometimes in life you get what you wish for!

Back