Which individual has had the best playing and managerial career?

Gheorghe_Hagi

As the title suggests, which individual has had the most success as both a player and a manager?

Is there anyone who can top Zidane? A World Cup and a Champions League as a player, three Champions Leagues as a manager.

Zagallo should get a mention as well.

Won the World Cup twice as a player, once as manager and once as assistant manager.

Not to belittle ZZ's achievements but he did win his CL's as a manager with a Real Madrid team on top of their game, add into that Ronaldo dragging them through several ties. Didn't manage to win the league in a 2.5 horse race

Zidane and it's not even close.

The best player of his generation with one of the most impressive players' medals collentions ever and his cl record as manager is unlikely to be repeated.

As for having it easy-see pep. Played in a great team and has almost unlimited money with city now. Still won't match him.

As the title suggests, which individual has had the most success as both a player and a manager?

Is there anyone who can top Zidane? A World Cup and a Champions League as a player, three Champions Leagues as a manager.
Cruyff is the first that comes to mind.

Zidane and it's not even close.

The best player of his generation with one of the most impressive players' medals collentions ever and his cl record as manager is unlikely to be repeated.

It’s certainly pretty close between him and Beckenbauer.

Zidane
(player): 1 World Cup; 1 European Championship; 1 CL
(manager): 3 CL

Beckenbauer
(player): 1 World Cup; 1 European Championship; 3 European Cups
(manager): 1 World Cup

Ancellotti is a good shout, in my opinion he played in the greatest club side of all time , hugely successful as player and manager.

Deschamps?

Pretty good shout. As a player won two French League titles with Marseille and three Italian League titles with Juventus.
Won Champions League with Marseille and also with Juventus where he was also a runner up on two occasions. Won the FA Cup with Chelsea and Champions League runner up with Valencia.
He won the World Cup and European Championship as a player for France.
As a club manager he was Champions League runner up with Monaco and won the French League with Marseille. As French national team manager won the World Cup and was runner up in the European Championship. Not bad for a little "water carrier" .

I’m coming down on the side of the Kaiser here.
(Not the one in the movie)
Just looking at the medal haul.

Edit: Then I read the Dechamps post!

I’m trying to put myself in each player/manager’s shoes here and wondering if I’d be envious of one of the other candidates’ achievements.
Other than they’d all like to have the Graeme Souness record as depicted above, I still cannot choose.

Zidane

Beckenbauer

3 cl in 3 years perhaps gives him the most successful managerial career ever. Many managers have won a world cup. No one has done that. Very, very few have won 3. I'll admit that beckenbaur's playing career matches zidanes.

3 cl in 3 years perhaps gives him the most successful managerial career ever. Many managers have won a world cup. No one has done that. Very, very few have won 3. I'll admit that beckenbaur's playing career matches zidanes.

You could argue Beckenbauer actually had a better playing career, and while 3 successive CL with Real as a manager is a superb achievement, he hasn’t won a World Cup, so there’s also an argument to say they more or less cancel each other out.

The point being, it’s much (much) closer than you originally stated.

Not to belittle ZZ's achievements but he did win his CL's as a manager with a Real Madrid team on top of their game, add into that Ronaldo dragging them through several ties. Didn't manage to win the league in a 2.5 horse race

Nobody had won the CL in its current form back to back yet he won 3 in a row.

Phenomenal achievement and something Pep couldn't manage with THAT Barca side which puts it in to perspective a bit.

I don't think you can say Zidane yet until he proves it elsewhere. I know his Champions League achievements are unreal but I think a lot of things just clicked for them. They still couldn't stop Barca dominating the league.

Zidane

Beckenbauer

Zidane has two la liga’s as well - not to be sniffed at

You could argue Beckenbauer actually had a better playing career, and while 3 successive CL with Real as a manager is a superb achievement, he hasn’t won a World Cup, so there’s also an argument to say they more or less cancel each other out.

The point being, it’s much (much) closer than you originally stated.

Nah, I still think Zidane is way out in front. You obviously disagree but I'm not convinced

Cruyff was arguably the best player in the world at his peak, won European Cups with a Dutch team
Managed Barcelona to their first EC but more than that, completely changed and restructured their playing style to lay the foundations of the success they have enjoyed since
Couple of WC finals too. Not won as much as others perhaps, but hugely influential

Zidane for me.

From what I’ve heard Guardiola was a quality player as well so he must be a candidate as well. No question about his managerial ability anyway.

For medals it's Zidane.

HOWEVER, Cruyff was both a revolutionary player and a revolutionary manager. I can't think of anyone who'd as seismic an impact on the game in both roles.

What about Carlo Ancelotti?
Won 8 domestic cups/leagues and 4 European trophies as a player.

11 domestic cups/leagues and 9 European/world club trophies as a manager.

Many of the truly great players ended up managing top teams where they could have let their wives do the work for all the difference it made so for that reason I'd pick Brian Clough who was a good player but an unbelievable manager and to take Forrest to such heights was simply incredible.

The Gaffer. Almost single handedly dragged HIS team through a final to win the CL and he now manages The Rangers.:))
Seriously though must be Ancelotti or Beckenbauer.

Cruyff was arguably the best player in the world at his peak, won European Cups with a Dutch team
Managed Barcelona to their first EC but more than that, completely changed and restructured their playing style to lay the foundations of the success they have enjoyed since
Couple of WC finals too. Not won as much as others perhaps, but hugely influential
Don't think it's even close. Clearly the best player in the world for a time. Was a very key part of a revolution that saw the Netherlands go from a joke country in international football to arguably the best for a time and in the top 5 definitely. Likewise a part of an Ajax side that established a dynasty. All whilst playing an innovative style which he was not only the best exponent of but had a key part developing
He then moved into management in a foreign country and put in place an infrastructure and playing style the club are benefitting from 30 years later.
This has then been partly responsible for Spain finally fulfilling their potential
His influence is still felt after his death and two major football countries are still indebted to him.
Oh and he was a joy to watch as a player

Many of the truly great players ended up managing top teams where they could have let their wives do the work for all the difference it made so for that reason I'd pick Brian Clough who was a good player but an unbelievable manager and to take Forrest to such heights was simply incredible.
Yes,him and Don Revie have got to be right up there.

This is a brilliant question - more value in player vs managerial record; World Cup vs Champ League; domestic titles; size of club; number of trophies won

Love it!

PS Zidane or Deschamps for me

Back