Which youth players can break in to the first team?

bigy

Over the last year or so we've seen umpteen players from the youth team play for the first team or go out on loan - some more successfully than others.

The likes of Bates played a good few games on the trot towards the end of last year, Aiden Wilson also came in and even partnered Bates in defence at some point. Beerman came in and, with the exception of a slight hiccup against that lot, looked a very accomplished player. And Barjonas also looked decent when he came in last year.

You've also had the likes of Jordan Thompson going out on loan, while Hardie who's been on loan has been sniffing about the first team but without ever taking his chance.

Do any of these players make the cut? Do they have a future with us?

Pedro's first XI looks pretty settled to me. I can't see Hardie getting in ahead of Morelos, Herrera or Miller unless there are a few injuries. Barjonas would need to oust Dorrans or Jack, and even then Rossiter is currently ahead in the pecking order. Bates/A. Wilson would need to overtake Bruno or Fabio which ain't going to happen, and I still think Danny Wilson is next in line there.

At full back i'd previously had said Beerman could be challenging Wallace, but that's not happened and with the signing of Declan John he could now be even further away from he first team.

Left midfield seems the only position up for grabs, but even then that fight seems to be between Windass and Krancjar.

So is there space for our youth team? We seem to be putting a lot of effort in to developing these players, but for various reasons they either aren't good enough or aren't getting the chance.

Thoughts?

Ross McCrorie is the one who looks capable of making the step up this season. Some of the younger players have impressed so far this season but some will likely need another year of football.

Barjonas definitely Newco Ted was tweeting last night, that he's(Barjonas not Ted) head and shoulder above the rest

Dapo is still playing under 17 football at the moment but he's a natural finisher which is something every team is looking for.

Barjonas hasn't looked out of place at all in his handful of first team appearances. I was wondering about whether he might be used as cover for left midfield. I know he'd prefer to be more central but it's quite common to park a young midfielder out wide for while.

Our summer spending spree looks to have closed all the doors open to our youngsters, Hardie possibly may be the only exception.

We have a few midfielders so it might be difficult for Barjonas to get a look in this season

What ever happened to the young boy Liam burt? Had been on the fringes of the 1st team but not seen much of him lately

What youth players can play left midfield/wing? I think Windass has looked good there, but injury or a dip in form and I don't think Niko is a permanent option. Pena could maybe go there, or Dalcio who has seemingly vanished I suppose.

We have a few midfielders so it might be difficult for Barjonas to get a look in this season

What ever happened to the young boy Liam burt? Had been on the fringes of the 1st team but not seen much of him lately

Burt's been injured - he was posting pics of him being laid up after surgery IIRC

Ross McCrorie was highly rated by Ayr Utd fans when he was there on loan, think Dumbarton fans rated him too. Think Pedro said he's now 4th choice centre back. From what i've seen of him i'd say he's the next to break into the squad. Plays mainly as a centre back but can also do a job at right back and dm/cm.

Barjonas definitely Newco Ted was tweeting last night, that he's(Barjonas not Ted) head and shoulder above the rest

Barjonas did play well last night, but it's light years from first team football.

Was very disappointed with Hardie last night.

What youth players can play left midfield/wing? I think Windass has looked good there, but injury or a dip in form and I don't think Niko is a permanent option. Pena could maybe go there, or Dalcio who has seemingly vanished I suppose.
Is that not Jordan Thompson's preferred position?

He came with a very good reputation but hasn't made the impact i had thought he would.

He was by a mile the best player on the park. the lad has all the tools to be a smashing player for us. Ataki played well as did the 2 full backs last night. Zak Rudden Looks good just needs games and he will nature aswell.

He was by a mile the best player on the park. the lad has all the tools to be a smashing player for us. Ataki played well as did the 2 full backs last night. Zak Rudden Looks good just needs games and he will nature aswell.
Agree with comments on Barjonas
Reminds me of Ross Barkley.

Barjonas looked good last night.
I was impressed with Atakayi too.
The goalie we got from the mhanks made a couple good saves as well.

I think they will struggle to this season as there is huge amounts of pressure on the manager and players to really step up a gear. I think once the team is more settled and winning games comfortably we will see some young player being brought on for 20-30 minutes here and there to bed them in with as little pressure on them as possible. Maybe even against lower league opposition. Maybe getting them out on loan at a championship side would be better for them.

Back