Whittaker v roofe

Which was best?

• Whittaker

Votes: 83 9.2%
  • Roofe

Votes: 818 90.8%

• Total voters
How 36 people have said that roofe's goal is not as good as Whittaker's is utterly mental to me. Roofe's is better than Maradona's ffs

Which do you think was the better goal?

I think Whittaker’s in Lisbon, to see out a knockout game, with a run from half way and beating the players he beat was an absolutely tremendous goal.

Roofe tonight just pulled off something special and did it after beating players and in horrendous conditions.

I think that playing them off against each other is a fools errand.

I think Whittaker’s in Lisbon, to see out a knockout game, with a run from half way and beating the players he beat was an absolutely tremendous goal.

Roofe tonight just pulled off something special and did it after beating players and in horrendous conditions.

I think that playing them off against each other is a fools errand.
Ach, it’s a bit of fun mate. Chill out. For what it’s worth, I probably celebrated Whittaker’s goal more elaborately and vociferously.

Might be splitting hairs, but all things considered, Roofes goal has more wow factor. Sensational.

I’m all for difference of opinions and all that, however, I would suggest anyone who seriously picks Whittaker in this poll knows the square root of eff all about football :D

If you really think that then you need to take a look at yourself.

Roofe strike was great and a spur of the moment piece of individual flamboyant brilliance.

Whittaker (yes he is a tube) goal - he dispossessed the attacking player in his own half, strides forward past a number of players using skill and decoy runs and then finishes coolly.

All about opinions and how you like your football.

Both goals are in the iconic Rangers goals list.

If you really think that then you need to take a look at yourself.

Roofe strike was great and a spur of the moment piece of individual flamboyant brilliance.

Whittaker (yes he is a tube) goal - he dispossessed the attacking player in his own half, strides forward past a number of players using skill and decoy runs and then finishes coolly.

All about opinions and how you like your football.

Both goals are in the iconic Rangers goals list.
Whittaker’s was a great goal, no denying it, Roofes was much, much better, it shouldn’t even be up for debate, his goal tonight will be shown all around the world, in years to come it will still be a contender for one of the greatest Rangers goals of all time.

Whittaker’s was a great goal, no denying it, Roofes was much, much better, it shouldn’t even be up for debate, his goal tonight will be shown all around the world, in years to come it will still be a contender for one of the greatest Rangers goals of all time.

Roofe's goal is out of the ordinary - no doubt about it. The strength and determination before it is fantastic too.

I guess the memory of Whittaker's goal - similar to Albertz v the filth in the semi at the Piggery - it was the go on - go on - go on - keep going - HIT IT - YYEEEEESSSSSSS. After the tension and pressure we were under before it - it was almost 0rga5m1c.

Roofe's was - like Hateley's at Elland Road - unexpected, out of the blue brilliance - boom - YA FXXKING BEAUTY.

I can’t take anyone seriously who votes for Whittaker. Defenders are shattered and he simply has more energy than the opposition players allowing him to get away from some really tired, half hearted ‘tackles’.

Roofe shows great strength under serious pressure in terrible conditions, nutmegs a defender then finishes from 55 yards off balance. How anyone can think Whittaker’s can even challenge that is beyond me, unless the biggest factor for them is the occasion and the fact it was a quarter final, otherwise it’s no contest as the poll rightly shows.

Anyone who voted for that judas pr!vk please make yourself known, so everyone knows who's opinion isn't to be taken seriously.

Roofe will get millions of views online, the other goal was against a defence on their knees and were dropping like flies. Absolutely no comparison.

It wasn't just the shot, Roofe's touch up to the goal was brilliant as well. Roofe is definitely an asset to our team.

The only European goal on par is the Wallace v Dortmund. Totally different obviously but from a team goal point of viel that will take some beating. Individual goal/shot, Roofe’s will take some beating.
Build up to that was world class

2 amazing goals in European competition
Whitaker gathers the ball around halfway, beats a few and rolls it in.An amazing individual goal.
Roofe.halfway line, looks up and shells it 54 yards over the keeper and in. STUNNING.
which was best?
There is no doubt whittakers goal is a cracker and against better opposition too. However, Roofes goal was simply genius and out of this world.

Both fantastic goals but Roofe's is something special. I don't think I've ever seen a better one from any player ever.

I was there that night Whittaker scores, one of the best trips ever but there is no comparison, Roofe’s hand down more impressive.

Roofe's goal was a touch of genius with some audacity thrown into the mix.

SW goal in Lisbon epitomised the team that year.

Two fantastic goals, but Bobby Russell also scored a brilliant goal against PSV, Roofe,s has to be the best

As I have stated previously, FF posters can agree on nothing.

Clearly Roofe is the winner as explained by Danger Zone. The effort just to get near the halfway line is exceptional.

It's apples and pears to me,both goals were absolutely stunning but for different reasons.
I think you can only compare them against similar techniques e.g. Roofe compared to the goals scored from distance by the likes of Beckham and Rooney or Whitakers mazy run and finish compared to Maradona and Messi.
I can only say I feel privileged to have seen them as they happened.

Alot of these amazing solo goals like Whittaker's involve running a long way but not really beating anybody. Whittaker wins a tackle then only really goes past one challenge.

Doesn't come anywhere near Roofe's.

Different goals have different qualities and for those reasons, many fine ones carry enormous merit for the variety of technical skills, courage etc that individual players display in the moment.
However, I am going with the Gaffer on this one, given the circumstances, the conditions the requirements to produce that moment of magic, Kemar Roofe hasn't just scored our finest goal, it is head and shoulders above the nearest competitor.
A goal to take with you to the grave and before that, one that will carry you through your football life.

Back