Who decided to drop the serif on the 'R'?

TCWNS1872

Can someone enlighten me please?

The latest iteration of the RFC badge dropped the serif on the 'R' during its incorporation of the stars for the launch of the Umbro shirts thirteen years ago or so.

It has never looked right for a traditionalist like me. Does anyone know the reasoning behind it?

I'm guessing a graphic artist? Although I suspect it was because it usually came off on printed badges

Both the dropping of the serif and the addition of 5 stars have cheapened our great historic crest .

That’s my honest opinion , tin hat on and all that but I don’t need tacky stars to tell me how many titles we have . It seemed the fashion at the time and the club went with it but really and truly I wish we had our old badge back on the kits .

I remember the reason for the change was given as "it gave the crest/badge a more symmetrical look"....

I prefer the original,as the new version,along with the stars,looks "too corporate"...

I agree that the stars should be on the sleeve,back of the neck.

original..

2vnmk5x.jpg

new version..

vdeplx.gif

I think we've reached a point where we can't drop the stars from the crest. After 6 years of other teams' supporters trying to deny our history, if the stars were dropped they'd wank themselves in oblivion.

Both the dropping of the serif and the addition of 5 stars have cheapened our great historic crest .

That’s my honest opinion , tin hat on and all that but I don’t need tacky stars to tell me how many titles we have . It seemed the fashion at the time and the club went with it but really and truly I wish we had our old badge back on the kits .
The 5 stars defo waste our crest

I think we've reached a point where we can't drop the stars from the crest. After 6 years of other teams' supporters trying to deny our history, if the stars were dropped they'd wank themselves in oblivion.
Who cares what other say, they'll say it anyway.

Stars on crests have become a bit of a joke now. The Sheep's Supercup star is a joke as is Huddersfield now having stars for what I assume is their league titles in the 30s. At least Killie only put a star above the badge for a season to commemorate the golden jubilee of their league win

We seem to get a thread on this every month.:rolleyes:

The answer - no-one knows. Best guess? Something to do with copyright/image rights.

Back