Who else had Ulster tv growing up?

I didn't have it but my uncle would tape the big game on a Sunday and send me it.only chance you really had back then to see the likes of Liverpool and Spurs on telly unless it was a cup final

Was there a little black box under the tv or am I making that up?

I grew up in Kilmarnock so lucky enough to get it

When I was courting:D my wife 30 years ago we had to go hide due to our on going previous relationships.
Always drove down to the shity shore sea front Ardrossan to watch football on a Sunday.
All was fine week in week out until Liverpool Everton 4-4 game when a mini bus of golfers turned up. They had been away golfing somewhere and dropped in to watch the game.
All from our village.
We just jumped in the car came back to our village and declared ourselves as an item.
Talk of the steamy we were.:))

Was the FA Cup final on Grampian?

Have vague recollections of us having a tv that picked up that channel.

we used to get the train down to Ardrossan when liverpool were on ,we used to watch it in a boozer/hotel just down from one of the stations,,got a feeling it was mostly mentally challengeds in there but nothing untoward ever said to us,,cant remember the name of the place

Growing up in Fife on the coast, we got a local tv man to install Border and North of England BBC aerials. Picture was a bit ropey at times but you could live with it.

Growing up with me supporting Liverpool and my old man Man Utd, it was great.

While working in Campbeltown and staying in Machrihanish I got UTV via the house aerial and at that time freeview. Good auld days. :)
My grandparents lived over that way in Muasdale so got it too. Only game I remember watching there was the schoolboy England v Scotland game which ended up 5-4. Could have watched it at home!

You could get it in the south bit of Ardrossan but not the north end.

No idea why.

When I was courting:D my wife 30 years ago we had to go hide due to our on going previous relationships.
Always drove down to the shity shore sea front Ardrossan to watch football on a Sunday.
All was fine week in week out until Liverpool Everton 4-4 game when a mini bus of golfers turned up. They had been away golfing somewhere and dropped in to watch the game.
All from our village.
We just jumped in the car came back to our village and declared ourselves as an item.
Talk of the steamy we were.:))
Rules :p

We had it in Wemyss Bay when I was a lad.

Remember watching the Southampton v Man Utd cup final.

I'm also pretty sure I remember recruitment adverts for the UDR.

Good old Cookstown sizzlers
That was the advert where George Best is driving home starving and all he can see is Cookstown sausages in the windscreen.
Then when he gets home his ma puts out a plate of sausages for his tea.

Great stuff

Got it in kilwinning. Ulster news every night at 6. Some great finals Man U v Liverpool milk cup, Man Utd v Everton fa cup final (whiteside). Also Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 clincher in the league.

Don’t ask me why but for some bizarre reason some of the pubs in carnoustie could pick up a signal from England and would show the fa cup final live

The advert about the confidential police line number that had cat in the cradle as a theme tune.that advert probably wouldn’t get shown now.

we used to get the train down to Ardrossan when liverpool were on ,we used to watch it in a boozer/hotel just down from one of the stations,,got a feeling it was mostly mentally challengeds in there but nothing untoward ever said to us,,cant remember the name of the place
Lauriston?

My papa had it in Saltcoats through the relay. Remember watching the Leeds first leg game out there.

surprised you got it in Ardrossan it was Harris relay which supplied UTV mainly available only in Saltcoats also you couldn’t have watched it in a pub as the pubs shut at 2.30 in those days !!!!

Got it in kilwinning. Ulster news every night at 6. Some great finals Man U v Liverpool milk cup, Man Utd v Everton fa cup final (whiteside). Also Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 clincher in the league.

That was the only English league game that was shown throughout Scotland at that time

STV never showed any live games from England other that one but I think Grampian did show some?
Of course those that received Border TV in the South of Scotland got every English game

surprised you got it in Ardrossan it was Harris relay which supplied UTV mainly available only in Saltcoats also you couldn’t have watched it in a pub as the pubs shut at 2.30 in those days !!!!
think it was a hotel that we watched it in,

the dockers club in Ardrossan was another place open on a sunday afternoon and showing the games on utv we went into, i would imagine thats well gone now

Ardrossan pub at the beach:rolleyes: had it back in those days, and you could get dinner and beers as well.

Use to go to watch Ulster Itv when I was in Portpatrick visiting relatives when I was kid before travelling to Ibrox.

We all went to Largs years ago to watch Manu v Everton Tim’s were playing Dundee Und in the Scottish cup as they could get it on UTV, pubs all full of bears.
Ended up fighting in some pub next to the station :cool:

Ardrossan pub at the beach:rolleyes: had it back in those days, and you could get dinner and beers as well.
that may be the place we used to go to,,was down from the station towards the beach and as you say they served meals and were certainly open on a sunday afternoon,,one of the attractions was getting a swally on a sunday afternoon,

Use to go to watch Ulster Itv when I was in Portpatrick visiting relatives when I was kid before travelling to Ibrox.
I'm just outside Portpatrick and our Freeview signal is from NI. No STV/Border but RTE, not what I pay my licence for. At least any reporting of Rangers is fair.

that may be the place we used to go to,,was down from the station towards the beach and as you say they served meals and were certainly open on a sunday afternoon,,one of the attractions was getting a swally on a sunday afternoon,

It was a place full of fruit machines and lots for kids to do.
Right on the front.
Still there but bigger I think, next to what they would call a boating pond.

Back