Who had the mental strength and limited ability ?

NewUlster19

Official Ticketer
With all of this talk about Ejaria having ability but.not being cut out to wear the shirt - not having the mental strength to wear the shirt - play in front of the Ibrox crowd etc etc

What players come to mind when consiering limited ability but stood up and knew what it meant to play for the shirt and perform consistently ?

Obvious one would be Novo - for me he wasnt the greatest but bought into what the club meant and took it seriously.

Another would be although he was only here short term- Aluko stood up when counted upon

From our current squad I’d say Tav.

He’s the constant target of abuse week in & out, people wanting him stripped of the captaincy etc.

From our current squad I’d say Tav.

He’s the constant target of abuse week in & out, people wanting him stripped of the captaincy etc.
Tav is not a limited player. Defensively he’s been caught short at times but is improving. Attacking he is a very good player with technical ability and can deliver a great ball. Needs to be more consistent, but I would not describe him as limited. There’s no better right back in Scottish football.

Stuart McCall. Absolutely integral part of our 9 in a row team. Without him we wouldn't have been the same team. A lot "bigger names" in the side but I bet he was always first on it. What we'd give for a player like him now.

Beasley possibly scored in champions league and a cup final but dont think he was that great a player

Big Marvin

Probably the best example on the thread

the mental strength this guy had was unbelievable, to be able to achieve what he did with us, all the while playing through a cruciate ligament injury

His ability was limited, I mean he could head the ball further than he could kick it, but his heart and belief was never in any doubt.

Looking at every post there are no class players in my opinion but every one of them played for the jersey.

Maybe except Bobby Shearer.

Stuart McCall. Absolutely integral part of our 9 in a row team. Without him we wouldn't have been the same team. A lot "bigger names" in the side but I bet he was always first on it. What we'd give for a player like him now.

Came on to post similar. A player with very average ability but an absolute dynamo in midfield.

Big Amo maybe not limited as such but believed he was a lot better than he was which in turn made him a better player.

Never let us down. (while playing)
Some really big performances.

And yet you pick my example as "not the best" when you have a post above mentioning Oleg Kuznetsov.

No agenda there.
No agenda
The Oleg post is not mine
McInnes was to me a classic case of a guy who just wasn't good enough
Hence he didn't play much and never held down a starting place
Whereas guys like Munro and Marvin did

John Brown, Scott Nisbett, Kirk Broadfoot... limiter ability but made up for it with an incredible determination about playing for Rangers

To be fair, John Brown was also a very good player. He could play midfield and had a knack of scoring some crackers from there before he joined us.

The guy from Millwall with the curly hair. Very limited but what an attitude. Getting old and can’t remember his name!!

No agenda
The Oleg post is not mine
McInnes was to me a classic case of a guy who just wasn't good enough
Hence he didn't play much and never held down a starting place
Whereas guys like Munro and Marvin did

I didn't say you posted it, you read through and skipped past a preposterous addition to the thread.
Claiming a 58 time capped Russian defender who played less than 25% of our games during his time here, to call out a post on a Morton player we signed for peanuts who made 50 appearances and contributed way above his level.

Kuznetsov was 11th best player in the world in 1988.
Derek McInnes wouldn't have been classed the 11th best in his league when we signed him and pulled out some big domestic and European performances.

No agenda though.

I didn't say you posted it, you read through and skipped past a preposterous addition to the thread.
Claiming a 58 time capped Russian defender who played less than 25% of our games during his time here, to call out a post on a Morton player we signed for peanuts who made 50 appearances and contributed way above his level.

Kuznetsov was 11th best player in the world in 1988.
Derek McInnes wouldn't have been classed the 11th best in his league when we signed him and pulled out some big domestic and European performances.

No agenda though.
Don't really understand why you are getting so worked up about it
McInnes was a bit part player called upon when we had a lot of players out
If he had been putting in big performances regularly he would have been picked regularly unless the manager was an idiot
He was never a regular pick so not for me a good example of someone who proved his worth
My recollection of Kuznetsov was he had dodgy knees, when we signed him and got injured after a very few games. When he came back he was done. Not a good example either

When you say "you have a message above" it is pretty reasonable to assume you are saying I posted it. If you mean there is a message above then that is probably the words you should use to avoid confusion

Don't really understand why you are getting so worked up about it
McInnes was a bit part player called upon when we had a lot of players out
If he had been putting in big performances regularly he would have been picked regularly unless the manager was an idiot
He was never a regular pick so not for me a good example of someone who proved his worth
My recollection of Kuznetsov was he had dodgy knees, when we signed him and got injured after a very few games. When he came back he was done. Not a good example either

When you say "you have a message above" it is pretty reasonable to assume you are saying I posted it. If you mean there is a message above then that is probably the words you should use to avoid confusion

I have that message above mine?
Do you not have it? Are the forum posts different for us all?

I'm not in any way worked up.
I'm asking why you singled out my example which you may find debatable and not an absolutely absurd one right above it, if it's not an agenda, what is it?

What about Nisbet? 90 appearances in 9 years? Bob Malcolm, 80 appearances in 7 years?

I'm simply wondering why a player who won man of the match in a couple of big Euro games is a poor example in comparison to the rest, why you felt the need to pick him out of all the names on the thread?

From the other debatable ones above, to the downright stupid.
Why did you pick mine as "not the best example"?

Last edited:
Not exactly limited ability but the ‘mentality making you play above yourself’ thing described Goram against Celtic. Against anyone else he was merely great. Against them, he was damn near unbeatable.

Back