Who has been the best footballer you have witnessed playing at Ibrox?

Do people say Cooper for sentimental reasons?
He was a great player, but not in the same class as Laudrup surely? I guess it's all about opinions.
No pace,couldn't tackle,couldn't header a ball,right peg was for standing on,but that left leg was a magic wand.
Played for the team he supported, a genius.
WATP

Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Kempes & Messi, albeit Messi couldn’t cope with Sasa Ledge Papac on the night :D

And Beckenbauer was more than ruffled by Colin Colin Colin Stein :cool:

Last edited:
Do people say Cooper for sentimental reasons?
He was a great player, but not in the same class as Laudrup surely? I guess it's all about opinions.

Is 1981 the year of your birth?

If so, then you weren't even a swimmer in your daddy's sack when he started for us and were 8 years old when he left.

The guy was sheer class. Granted I'm biased as he was my idol when I was a teenage boy but he was absolutely majestic.

All wingers are inconsistent but when this guy was on his game he was World Class. Worth the entry fee alone to watch him turn guys inside out. I won't hear a bad word about Coop lol

Is 1981 the year of your birth?

If so, then you weren't even a swimmer in your daddy's sack when he started for us and were 8 years old when he left.

The guy was sheer class. Granted I'm biased as he was my idol when I was a teenage boy but he was absolutely majestic.

All wingers are inconsistent but when this guy was on his game he was World Class. Worth the entry fee alone to watch him turn guys inside out. I won't hear a bad word about Coop lol
You won't hear a bad word from me about DC but sentiment is definitely involved in your decision. A wonderful footballer undoubtedly but.........Brian Laudrup? In a different league I'm afraid.
Best opponent ? Hardly original but as a young boy I was mesmerised by Cruyff and clearly remember him and his teammates being applauded by the Bears. How often has that happened?

Gazza, Laudrup and Cooper are hard to separate for us.
I have watched Cruyff and Messi at Ibrox but neither played well. Jimmy Johnstone was a fantastic player but the best visitng display possibly Prosinecki for Red Star - he was outstanding.
For me Prosinecki, Requillme and Brady for Inter the night we horsed them. Brady oozed class but a team with Davie Mitchell and Craig Paterson Ally Dawson Ian Redford Robert Prytz etc hounded them. One of my most memorable nights at The Stadium

You won't hear a bad word from me about DC but sentiment is definitely involved in your decision. A wonderful footballer undoubtedly but.........Brian Laudrup? In a different league I'm afraid.
Best opponent ? Hardly original but as a young boy I was mesmerised by Cruyff and clearly remember him and his teammates being applauded by the Bears. How often has that happened?

Fair play. For me I'd go Cooper over Laudrup but it's a game of opinions.

In reality we were blessed to see both don the blue.

Wlodzmierz lubanski of gornik had a wand of a left foot and destroyed us at Ibrox and Mario kempes of valencia's lethal finishing did the same!
I was just about to post his name for I didn't think too many would remember him , an excellent player

Playing for us
GK Goram
Def Gough
Mid Baxter
Forward McCoist

Playing against us
Alessandro Del Piero

I fell in man love with Luca Vialli at that time as well. LOL

It was the first time I’d seen him in the flesh. The tireless running he did for Juve that night to create space for others was something I’ll never forget. And he was a terrific finisher as well.

The complete modern forward. Love that guy.

Probably the whole Marseille team in the cl in 92 up to the 70th minute or so, they ripped us a new arsehole.

Against us either Sauzee or Prosinecki.
For us it has to be Gazza.
I'm 47 so never saw Cruyff and although I was there I can't remember seeing Rumenigge.
Honourable mention to my hero Davie Cooper

A mention for Laurie cunningham seen him in a pre season game part of that late 70s W. B. A side including Willie Johnson
Best ranger for me cooper

Players who fulfilled their reputations- Johann Cruyff and Mario Kempes. And the one who did not- Franz Beckenbaur.

That night Valencia came to Ibrox, the performance of Mendieta always sticks in my mind, he was phenomenal that night

If we are talking about their actual performance against us, not their career reputation then it's Mendieta for me.

In Europe at Ibrox that year we beat Parma 2-0, PSV Eindhoven 4-1, Borussia Dortmund 2-0, and only failed to beat Bayern Munich due to a shitty last minute equaliser from a BS free kick.

Valencia on the other hand wiped the floor with us home and away and played as if they were from a different planet. Mendieta absolutely stood out in both legs. I'd never heard of him before then and thought he was going to be the best player on the planet if those performances were anything to go by.

Milan team for the friendly in 2009 was quality. (Except for Senderos...:rolleyes:)

AC Milan (4-4-2): Dida; Mattioni, Thiago Silva, Senderos, Antonini (Albertazzi 74); Beckham (Seedorf h-t), Pirlo, Flamini (Jankulovksi 60); Ronaldinho (Kaka 60); Inzaghi, Shevchenko (Pato 68). Subs: Donnarumma (g), Darmian, Michelangelo, Strasser, Mathias Cardacio. Goals: Pato 69, Kaka 77.

Back