Who has been the best footballer you have witnessed playing at Ibrox?

Gazza and Laudrup were both top class players but the Gazza hatrick v the sheep edges him as my vote.
Del piero for juve that bad night at Ibrox.
Juve were outstanding and made us look a very average side.

Still annoys me we never did better in Europe during the Gazza and Laudrup years.

Del Piero, Mario Kempes, Cruyff etc. But Ronald de Boer was the best I've seen in a Rangers jersey during the one good season we got from him, yes even better than Gazza and Laudrup in my opinion.
That'll 'cause a few eyebrows to be raised and head shaking no doubt.

Best team I've seen at Ibrox in my 40 years by a mile.

It was like they (Juventus) were playing a different game. They were totally awesome. But then look at the team sheet

If you can face it............

Best personal performance though was Riquelme............. even better than Mendieta and he was fantastic

It was like they (Juventus) were playing a different game. They were totally awesome. But then look at the team sheet

If you can face it............

Best personal performance though was Riquelme............. even better than Mendieta and he was fantastic

Best Team I've seen at Ibrox in my 40 years of breathing.

I still say Mendieta's was the single Greatest Performance I've witnessed by an opponent.

Laudrup and Gazza obviously, but for other teams I’d go for Riquelme when he played with Villarreal.
Ridiculous talent should have done a lot more than he did in the game.
Same here for me - you hear the clique often enough about a player controlling a game, I saw it for real that night.

As an older bear I always remember a young Ruud gullit playing for feyenoord against us in a friendly he was superb that night plus Karl Heinz rummenigge when we played for Inter Milan in the 80s he was outstanding against us even though we won 3 1.

Wlodzmierz lubanski of gornik had a wand of a left foot and destroyed us at Ibrox and Mario kempes of valencia's lethal finishing did the same!

interesting that you mentioned this because I was going to start a thread on it. My dad gets a certain situation in his head and then repeats it time and time again. One of these, is that Gornik gave us the biggest doin he’s ever seen at Ibrox in over 50 years of going to the games. Can anyone one confirm or deny this for me?

Apart from the Gers, Rummenigge for Inter Milan. Liam Brady was in the same team, but not a patch on the German.

This would be my old mand choice too. Says Brady took the most abuse he's witnessed at Ibrox but that he was also a very good player.

To answer the OP, best player is Messi, Performance Mendieta and best I've seen in a Rangers Jersey is Gazza.

First one that springs to mind was Riquelme for me he was outstanding that night .. Also Benzema when he was up and coming and bagged a hat trick that night was spectacular

interesting that you mentioned this because I was going to start a thread on it. My dad gets a certain situation in his head and then repeats it time and time again. One of these, is that Gornik gave us the biggest doin he’s ever seen at Ibrox in over 50 years of going to the games. Can anyone one confirm or deny this for me?
Your dad is spot on. They gave us a towelling that night 3-1 as I remember. Lubanski gave a masterclass that night and was one of the most underrated players of his generation.

lost 6-2on aggregate. Gornik got to the final where they lost 2-0 to Man city in Vienna.

3.1 each game BS ?

That was the start of polish football coming through that led to their WC performance from memory.

I didn’t remember that they did so well in the tourney mate. Makes it not quite so painful ;)

Has to be Messi, even though he was largely quiet that night but to see the worlds best player of the last 20-30 years strutting his stuff on our park, brilliant

No but I don’t think that’s so important. Total World Cup games for Cruyff? Maybe 20-odd? Look what Messi has done in the best quality league in the world and in the Champions League for the past what 14 years?

OK. Respect your view.

I love Messi but just feel, unlike Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Beckenbauer for example he needs to add that WC dominance to his list to be considered a candidate for GOAT mate.

Opinions.

Best Team I've seen at Ibrox in my 40 years of breathing.

I still say Mendieta's was the single Greatest Performance I've witnessed by an opponent.

Agree on Juve.

Much as Mendieta was just world class that night I’d plump for Kempes who I think is just in the 40 years & no more.

Last edited:
Back