Who has noticed the social media boycott?

Everyone knows his name.

Is it well intentioned ? 100% Do we have to do something to combat racism and hate crime ? 100%
But have I noticed the boycott? No and that’s where it becomes a problem.
The platform is to big for a few thousand football players and clubs to make a difference.
This needs to come from government with a threat of closure or it’s pointless.
Let’s be honest that come tuesday everyone will jump back on Twitter and we are back to square one.

90% of my usual Twitter feed is football related, so it’s pretty weird right now. Will be even more obvious today with plenty games on and no chat about them.

Hopefully the social media companies are feeling the impact and considering changes.

Is it well intentioned ? 100% Do we have to do something to combat racism and hate crime ? 100%
But have I noticed the boycott? No and that’s where it becomes a problem.
The platform is to big for a few thousand football players and clubs to make a difference.
This needs to come from government with a threat of closure or it’s pointless.
Let’s be honest that come tuesday everyone will jump back on Twitter and we are back to square one.

Same thing with Rangers' fans not listening to Radio Clyde or boycotting newspapers. Wont make a bit of difference. Too many tims and neutrals.

If they start making you prove your identity like they do with bookies it will soon stop.

Be fascinating if a team sacks their manager over the weekend.

Or what happens if a club legend or God forbid, a current player or staff member at a club passed away?

Be fascinating if a team sacks their manager over the weekend.

Or what happens if a club legend or God forbid, a current player or staff member at a club passed away?
Then it won’t be announced or discussed on social media.

There are other channels to announce news.

Hitting them in the pocket is the only way to get change and that would involve a huge campaign targeting their advertisers. It has worked very effectively deplatforming individuals whether rightly or wrongly.For what it's worth I would remove myself from social media if they required verification because I simply don't trust any of them with my data.

I dont use twitter so havent noticed it at all, forgot it was happening till I seen this thread

What I find ironic is the holier than thou reaction from the Scottish media.
Clyde SSB have joined the boycott and Hugh had a rant on the phone in last night about how terrible online abuse is, needs stopped etc, just a month or so he had to apologise after making remarks about Alfie
The media are a big part of the problem.

Football should start its own social media platform and only allow its content to be displayed there.
It would be massive quickly and would attract loads of advertising but would also be easier to police as people would have to sign up.
It would take a bit of time but it would work as content is king.

If I hadn't read about it on here,. I wouldn't have noticed.
It's a gimmick and won't make a blind bit of difference unfortunately despite its intention.

You obviously noticed it otherwise you wouldn't have started a thread on it! :)

I have but I only have twitter and really just use it for football and news.

Don't think it will make a difference though.

I noticed it last night when looking up the teams for the games that were on.

Not a massive inconvenience

What I find ironic is the holier than thou reaction from the Scottish media.
Clyde SSB have joined the boycott and Hugh had a rant on the phone in last night about how terrible online abuse is, needs stopped etc, just a month or so he had to apologise after making remarks about Alfie
The media are a big part of the problem.
Especially in this country. They play a huge part on social media with their clickbait crap that they put out on a daily basis. The record and Jackson done a piece about how online racism etc has to stop yet he was the one dishing out xenophobic articles about Alfie last year.

Back