Who is last Rangers striker thats better than Morelos?

Alfie leads our line as DJ & Dado did but is more mobile. All different players, of course; they were perhaps better headers. DJ had competition from Parlane & Smith. Dado had a partnership with Nacho. Hope Alfie grows to eclipse even these greats. Mols, Jelavic & Negri burned bright but briefly.

People forget how good Jelavic was.
I know, he was the finished article look at some of the goals he scored, absolutely brilliant finishes and you can't forget his overhead kick against Aberdeen. It's a shame he was around when we went down, he doesn't get enough credit because of this.

I don't think Jelavic was better.
Agreed, Jelavic was a cracking player when he wanted to be, but that was my issue. When he wanted.

Morelos is a better player with bigger potential at a younger age.

Morelos as yet isn't a better striker than other mentioned such as Miller, mols or mccoist. All 3 were either deadly or capable of not just winning us a match but a trophy.

Morelos deserves that accolade though, he begs us a trophy, hopefully the league cup, his already high confidence and ability will soar.

I don’t see the point in these comparisons. So many variables that make it impossible to compare. I’m just enjoying having an absolutely top class young player playing for our club.

Correct, it’s near impossible and so much of it hinges on the quality of the overall team and the system, even the era is an influencing factor.

It would be interesting to see how Morelos would get in if you stuck him in a team with the likes of Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne, Van Bronkhorst, Albertz, Reyna, Ferguson, McCann et al.

Tin hat on.

Is Alfie better than big Cousin when Daniel had his game head on?

Infinitely more consistent and better goals record which means Alfie would get picked. But if both at their best, I'm not sure who was better.

True, but big Cousin couldn’t be bothered against the wee diddy teams DH.

And wasn’t he a good bit older than Alfie ?

In my lifetime mccoist, prso and mols were great, but (hypothetically)would you pick them ahead of Morelos?
Think Gerrard's influence is rubbing off and Alfredo respects Gerrard for what he is.
Love the way Alfredo runs at defenses and drags them out of position. Must be so hard to play against.
hard to play against yeah, strong yeah, hold up play yeah. finisher, no. getting there and has come on leaps an bounds. but, hes still too greedy in wrong areas for me and still does too many rash shots from stupid angles. but in a year he will have made club millions and he will go on and have a top level career. just sadly not with gers. i just hope we dont give him away. i also think defoe coming has made him sharpen up a bit as well.

If Morelos really wants to be seen as out and out top drawer then he needs more goals in the bigger games. Alfie is great, he’s my favourite player in this team but until he scores some goals in cup semi finals, finals and against the tims he’s always going to be a little behind some of the others mentioned.

I’d go along with all those saying Miller was better and probably Jelavic too.

Think there's a bit of recency bias with people forgetting just how good Jelavic was. Imo probably the more complete striker in his spell at Rangers but could easily see Alfredo surpassing him in time.

We had Hateley, Ally, Mols, Jelavic, DJ at or near their peak. Alfie was playing in Finland three years ago and is still young with a lot to learn. He may go on to match or surpass those players but he ain't as good yet. Most or all of them were playing against better players in Scotland and a much higher quality of European player.

However Alfie is edging closer and closer and actually fashions some number of chances for himself out of very little with his movement and strength. I still think his at times awful decision making is away behind all of the above.

However he is the warrior par excellence and takes no she-e-t from anyone. I love the wee man and hope we get another year or two from him before he goes onto other things. He absolutely terrorised that Feyenoord defence on Thursday.

I hate these threads. Recency bias overload in them.

Until Morelos actually achieves something with Rangers then he doesn’t warrant comparison to former greats I’m afraid.

Exactly. Needs to make it count.

Too many needless sending offs and suspensions.
No goals v tims.
No silverware.

Time to deliver.

In my lifetime mccoist, prso and mols were great, but (hypothetically)would you pick them ahead of Morelos?
Think Gerrard's influence is rubbing off and Alfredo respects Gerrard for what he is.
Love the way Alfredo runs at defenses and drags them out of position. Must be so hard to play against.
See when he scores against the scum , and does it regularly ,, then come back and we’ll have the discussion . Until then he’s doing ok

Jelavic for me, although they are different types of striker. Morelos is far more physical and a real handful although I think Jelavic is a better finisher. If Morelos can improve his finishing, he will go to the top. He still scuffs or misses presentable chances.

Jelavic was better. Mols was miles better. Negri too. Duncan Ferguson. McCoist and Hately. My time is the last 25- 30 years and I'd say they were all better. To be fair most of them were the finished article when playing for us and Morelos isnt yet.
I agree with most of your post although not sure Ferguson was at his peak at Rangers.

Who would you pick in these curcumstances. For me:

Scottish cup final v them: McCoist
European tie v top team: Hateley
Away league games: Alfredo
Tight game one chance: Jelavic
Must win game: Cooper

Alfie leads our line as DJ & Dado did but is more mobile. All different players, of course; they were perhaps better headers. DJ had competition from Parlane & Smith. Dado had a partnership with Nacho. Hope Alfie grows to eclipse even these greats. Mols, Jelavic & Negri burned bright but briefly.
Johnstone was, as you say, far superior in the air,he also had a better touch and was a better finisher. He lacked Alfie's mobility.

Alfie is better than Prso was.

In a stronger league winning side under a vastly more experienced title winning manager. Respect your opinion, but those influences are what makes this question near impossible to answer.
danger zone respecting another bears opinion, good for you mate .

MIchael Mols pre-injury.

I still harbour thoughts of ill will to Oliver Kahn for that Schumacher-esque dangerous challenge that pretty much oblitered MM's career.

Kahn knew what he was doing imo, leave a mark on the most dangerous player. I'd be applauding a Rangers player doing that to say Messi, and for us to go on and win the match, but it still stings.

We were all over Bayern like a rash until that incident, then they went on to win 1-0.

Last edited:
McCoist = Yes
Prso = probably not
Mols = Yes, without a doubt.

Jelavic was better. Mols was miles better. Negri too. Duncan Ferguson. McCoist and Hately. My time is the last 25- 30 years and I'd say they were all better. To be fair most of them were the finished article when playing for us and Morelos isnt yet.
Not for us he wasn't.

I don’t listen to what fucking tims say ,I don’t read the record ,do you ?

I see the hotline because Suck posts the sports pages up on here. I wasn’t asking if you listen to what tims say, I’m merely saying you’re making the same case they do.

I see the hotline because Suck posts the sports pages up on here. I wasn’t asking if you listen to what tims say, I’m merely saying you’re making the same case they do.
just touched a nerve mate , I’ve followed rangers for 50 years never ever been told I sound like a tim ,maybe I’m over sensitive.

just touched a nerve mate , I’ve followed rangers for 50 years never ever been told I sound like a tim ,maybe I’m over sensitive.

No bother. I wasn’t insinuating you were a tim or anything, just that it’s the argument they use against him which I don’t believe is altogether fair.

Pre-injury Mols. If he didn’t get that injury he could have gone down as our greatest striker. Don’t think I’ve seen another player like him at Ibrox since.

Miller and Jelavic were better than Morelos. And they won trophies for Rangers.

Like the Ryan Jack thread, people are too quick to get carried away with guys who have yet to achieve anything at Rangers.

We've had numerous strikers with very differing styles. Comparing a phenomenal goal poacher like McCoist to Morelos is a bit unfair. I can't think of anyone up front for us who has bullied opposing defences in such a physical manner apart from Mark Hateley.

Miller and Jelavic were better than Morelos. And they won trophies for Rangers.

Like the Ryan Jack thread, people are too quick to get carried away with guys who have yet to achieve anything at Rangers.
So did Ricky Foster, would you take him over Tav?

He's 100% the best since Jelavic and I'd say he's maybe even close to eclipsing him. If Alfie had a wee bit more composure in front of goal he'd score about 40 and would be our best since Mols.

As an 80s bear Im saying this

McCoist
Mols
Prso
Jelavic
Morleos

Im no comparing just saying he's in that company and no one else in between is

Prso was a great player but not for Rangers
His knees were knackered and whilst he battled like a warrior he probably missed more games than he played for us
Was decent when he played but to be a great player you have to actually play which sadly he didnt
Morelos has missed hardly any games through injury and that is a very valuable attribute

MIchael Mols pre-injury.

I still harbour thoughts of ill will to Oliver Kahn for that Schumacher-esque dangerous challenge that pretty much oblitered MM's career.

Kahn knew what he was doing imo, leave a mark on the most dangerous player. I'd be applauding a Rangers player doing that to say Messi, and for us to go on and win the match, but it still stings.

We were all over Bayern like a rash until that incident, then they went on to win 1-0.
Yep, I feel the same. Oliver Kahn always came across as a cuunt. At least god made him ugly.

We are comparing one guy against the attributes of several. Would McCoist have scored that goal today, nope. Cousin, Prso, Hatley, yes. Do those three have the predatory instincts of McCoist or Alfie or Boyd, nope. Would Boyd, Cousin or Negri put the shift in that Kenny Miller or Alfie would, nope. Every striker has had what you could call a deficiency, I’d argue that Alfie has the fewest of all. Mols is impossible to evaluate, it’s just what might have been

Like many players, we tend to remember the good parts only. McCoist was terrible at the start, Hately was “Scott Nisbet with a sun tan” it took a LCF and a pissing wet game at Tynecastle to change it round. Alfie has been good since day one, and is getting better all the time.

For the record, I’d take an on form, interested Cousin over everyone, but as a complete striker who gives you 8/10 every week, this season’s Alfie would be difficult to pass up.

Seeing folk criticising Morelos because he's not won anything, its certainly not down to Morelos that we haven't, if anything the fact he has scored so many goals in unsuccessful sides shows how good he is.

Morelos is better than jelavic and prso which is no mean feat considering how good they were morelos is absolute vital to us this season

Surely Kris Boyd should get an honorable mention. He might not have been the fastest on his feet but he was a clinical finisher.

Back