Who is last Rangers striker thats better than Morelos?

Helsinki manager said that Alfredo improved massively in the year they had him, he also watched him at Rangers and seen a huge jump in his ability. At Rangers alone we have witnessed this lad become greater and greater every season, for me he is better player than Prso and Jelavic and thats two strikers I adored.

He is also a far more complete player than Ally was, but Ally's finishing to me suggests he was the better striker for Rangers, although I will say Morelos is far more suited to the modern game.

If Alfredo continues to improve at the rate he is he will join a very short list of people who go on to bigger things after leaving us, for most it's downhill.

The Naismith for Miller combo was just as good.

Jelavic well deserved in the category too.

The boy is so class, when he scores in Europe and against seperate entity fc we will not receive a penny lower than 18m.

What a player.

Jelavic was better. Mols was miles better. Negri too. Duncan Ferguson. McCoist and Hately. My time is the last 25- 30 years and I'd say they were all better. To be fair most of them were the finished article when playing for us and Morelos isnt yet.
Morelos is better than Negri and Duncan Ferguson.

I think we just have to appreciate that we are starting to see the lad finally blossom and it's all about him 'keeping the heid'!

His strength in keeping the ball, holding it up and brushing off challenges is phenomenal.

But he does need to find that wee bit more composure in front of goal.

However, in terms of touch, technique and control, Mols for that four months before his injury is still the best all round centre for me, but not the best goal scorer. That's McCoist and Hateley the most fearsome.

Miller and Jelavic were better than Morelos. And they won trophies for Rangers.

Like the Ryan Jack thread, people are too quick to get carried away with guys who have yet to achieve anything at Rangers.
60 goals in 106 games has to be some sort of achievement.

It’s weird how people put Morelos down. He’s an exceptional talent who will go on to achieve much more than almost any striker we have ever had.

Don't think many put him down, but there can be times where he is frustrating and can understand why people crack up at him sometimes. I love him and think he is excellent btw.

Miller and Jelavic were better than Morelos. And they won trophies for Rangers.

Like the Ryan Jack thread, people are too quick to get carried away with guys who have yet to achieve anything at Rangers.

No they weren’t, and this talking down of Morelos because we’ve not won anything ignores the fact that he joined when we were building from pretty much rock bottom, yet still banged in the goals even in rubbish sides.

Miller and Jelavic played in Rangers sides who were surrounded by internationalists who were used to winning things, in a Rangers side who could compete financially with Celtic, whereas now they have double our wage bill, you’re hardly comparing like with like situations.

Morelos would have gone into either of the sides Miller or Jelavic played in and ran amok.

Would I pick a peak Ally McCoist and Michael Mols ahead of Morelos?

Aye. McCoist won back to back European Golden Boots, one year scoring 49 goals in 52 games.

Mols before his injury took the piss out of Lillian Thuram and Fabio Cannavaro and had scored 9 goals in 9 league games.

Morelos is a very, very good player but reign it in.

This is the correct answer.

McCoist at his peak was absolutely deadly and, before his injury, I honestly couldn’t believe we had signed Mols. He was a phenomenal player.

Alfredo is an excellent striker, and different to both of the above, but he has some way to go before he’s remembered alongside those two from my lifetime.

Jelavic was a great finisher, but the rest of his game was nothing like Morelos's.

And even his finishing wasn't brilliant after he left Rangers. Scored a combined 30 goals in 118 games in England.

Jelavic was also only with us for 18 months. Morelos has been better than Jelavic for longer than Jelavic was even here.

Apples n Oranges
If alfie keeps improving
Along with the Team improving
That combination has the potential
To Make Morelos our Best Ever..

I think theres been better goalscorers at the club but he's up there with the top in terms of workrate.

Mols pre-injury was probably the best all-round striker we've had in my lifetime.

And no-one will ever have a better half-season than Marco Negri!

But for the sheer reliability of regular goals over a long period, it's hard to argue against Ally McCoist.

As an all round CF he is one of the best i have seen for us.

He still needs to be a bit more clinical though and less selfish in certain situations.

Thank f*ck we didn't sell him in the summer though, he's miles ahead of Kemar Roofe.

As an all round CF he is one of the best i have seen for us.

He still needs to be a bit more clinical though and less selfish in certain situations.

Thank f*ck we didn't sell him in the summer though, he's miles ahead of Kemar Roofe.
There were plenty on who told us Roofe would be an upgrade on Alfie.

Jelavic for me, but Morelos has power and mass that I have not seen for a long time in a Rangers forward. He really causes hell for defenders and his link up play and lay offs when tracking into midfield are brilliant.

where to start , Colin Stein,DJ, Ally, Hateley, Mo jo, Mols, Negri, Prso , Jelevic , to name a few thats without the old yins Thornton, English , Millar ,Brand and Forest , Alfie has huge potential and is a great player but he has a lot to compete with .

It is. But until he scores against Celtic and wins trophies we this us, he can’t be ranked with those that have the goals and the other achievements too.
Judging individual players on team achievements is always a terrible way of assessing the quality of that player.

Using this logic, Le Tissier was an awful player because he never won a single trophy and he never scored against Portsmouth.

He's taking his game to another level again this season. He has screwed the nut in terms of his discipline and his form has been outstanding.

Long may it continue.

Jelavic.

Can't understand people implying he was just a good finisher. He was strong, clever, skillful, made brilliant runs, good link and hold-up play.

Boyd was basically just a good finisher (1st time round lol) but Jelavic was so much more.

No they weren’t, and this talking down of Morelos because we’ve not won anything ignores the fact that he joined when we were building from pretty much rock bottom, yet still banged in the goals even in rubbish sides.

Miller and Jelavic played in Rangers sides who were surrounded by internationalists who were used to winning things, in a Rangers side who could compete financially with Celtic, whereas now they have double our wage bill, you’re hardly comparing like with like situations.

Morelos would have gone into either of the sides Miller or Jelavic played in and ran amok.

“Morelos would run amok”. There’s no evidence of that at all. This is the kind of hyperbole I’m talking about where Ryan Jack is compared to Kevin Thomson - an actual winner. Miller and Jelavic scored cup final winners, Old Firm winners for us. Big goals. Morelos hasn’t done that enough.

Jelavic.

Can't understand people implying he was just a good finisher. He was strong, clever, skillful, made brilliant runs, good link and hold-up play.

Boyd was basically just a good finisher (1st time round lol) but Jelavic was so much more.
His runs were intelligent, I'll give you that. That's how he got himself into so many good positions.

And he was still a really good player. He just wasn't as good as Morelos is now.

Can you ever remember Jelavic dominating a game like Morelos did against Feyenoord? Maybe my memory is just terrible, but none really spring to mind.

“Morelos would run amok”. There’s no evidence of that at all. This is the kind of hyperbole I’m talking about where Ryan Jack is compared to Kevin Thomson - an actual winner. Miller and Jelavic scored cup final winners, Old Firm winners for us. Big goals. Morelos hasn’t done that enough.

Erm, his goalscoring record in a side not as good as those Jelavic and Miller played in is evidence.

He'd have fit in to any of those sides and scored more than he does now because they were evidently better sides, of course he would, no hyperbole about saying that.

Why wouldn't he?

Jelavic was a very good player. Was he better
Than Alfie I don’t think so. I think he is the best
Striker we’ve had since ally

His runs were intelligent, I'll give you that. That's how he got himself into so many good positions.

And he was still a really good player. He just wasn't as good as Morelos is now.

Can you ever remember Jelavic dominating a game like Morelos did against Feyenoord? Maybe my memory is just terrible, but none really spring to mind.

He was ineligible to play in Europe for us his 1st season due to some daft UEFA rule that he had played in qualifying for Rapid then the 2nd season McCoist made a Noel Hunt of things in Europe.

So we can only judge things based on his 18 months of domestic football and he dominated teams regularly. Stood out like a sore thumb in terms of quality.

I like Alfredo but for me Jela was different gravy.

He was ineligible to play in Europe for us his 1st season due to some daft UEFA rule that he had played in qualifying for Rapid then the 2nd season McCoist made a Noel Hunt of things in Europe.

So we can only judge things based on his 18 months of domestic football and he dominated teams regularly. Stood out like a sore thumb in terms of quality.

I like Alfredo but for me Jela was different gravy.
He was good, absolutely, but Morelos just has more in his locker.

He can hold the ball up, he can turn a defender, he can link play, he can get beyond defenders, he can find space in the box and he scores an absolute f*ckton of goals to boot.

He can do just about everything you want a striker to do. People underestimate just how good Morelos really is.

Morelos has qualities that other strikers didn't have.
He is a one man demolition squad.
That said, McCoist and Jelavic werte both better finishers, but Alfie has time on his side to develop into a much better finisher.
When he does that, he will more or less have it all.

I agree. He’s also fortunate to be playing alongside one of the greatest penalty box strikers of recent years. If a wee bit of Jermaine Defoe’s craft rubs off on Alfie what a player we will have.

I'd love to see Jelavic in this Steven Gerrard team.

I'd also wager Alfredo Morelos would find it harder in Ally's "two left backs, McCulloch in midfield" Rangers team for service.

The thing is, Morelos isn’t someone who needs ‘service’. He creates so much on his on and bullies defenders.

We’ve had better finishers (ie Jelavic) and great servants (ie Miller) but in terms of all round ability, Morelos is the best striker we’ve had since Mols imo.

He was good, absolutely, but Morelos just has more in his locker.

He can hold the ball up, he can turn a defender, he can link play, he can get beyond defenders, he can find space in the box and he scores an absolute f*ckton of goals to boot.

He can do just about everything you want a striker to do. People underestimate just how good Morelos really is.

I think there's every chance Morelos goes on to have a better career than Jela but if we're judging them solely on their time at Rangers then it's Jela for me, he was more of the complete player.Which is understandable given he arrived at us at the age of 25, whereas Morelos was 21.

If you gave Jela a chance, he buried it, no ifs, no buts. Morelos still has to become more clinical; which is mental saying that given his goals record but he does still fluff chances that Jela would have tucked away eg. 5 yards out header v Legia right before the one he scored.

I say it all the time on Morelos threads but it baffles me that there are still supporters who don't realise just how good Alfie is.

I think there's every chance Morelos goes on to have a better career than Jela but if we're judging them solely on their time at Rangers then it's Jela for me, he was more of the complete player.Which is understandable given he arrived at us at the age of 25, whereas Morelos was 21.

If you gave Jela a chance, he buried it, no ifs, no buts. Morelos still has to become more clinical; which is mental saying that given his goals record but he does still fluff chances that Jela would have tucked away eg. 5 yards out header v Legia right before the one he scored.
I'd be really interested to see this finishing thing put to bed once and for all by someone going back and rewatching Jelavic's games and assigning some xG values to his shots.

I suspect they're probably closer in terms of finishing than most think.

I'd be really interested to see this finishing thing put to bed once and for all by someone going back and rewatching Jelavic's games and assigning some xG values to his shots.

I suspect they're probably closer in terms of finishing than most think.

I'd be interested in that too but working on my memory (which is definitely flawed after years of alcohol abuse lol) my abiding memory of Jela is that he was deadly. He also done it in the crucial moments to win us trophies and cups (League Cup 10/11 springs straight to mind)

I'd be interested in that too but working on my memory (which is definitely flawed after years of alcohol abuse lol) my abiding memory of Jela is that he was deadly. He also done it in the crucial moments to win us trophies and cups (League Cup 10/11 springs straight to mind)
My memory is just as bad as anyones, so it would be very interesting.

Might be something to do when the season is over.

I’m 24 so I’d say Jelavic was better at the moment although that may be teenage nostalgia from when we were winning trophies.

Jelavic signed when he was what 25 or 26?

Alfredo is still only 23. I think no matter what Morelos will go on to be a better player than Jelavic.

I’ve gone through the thread and the number of excellent strikers we have had is truly impressive. Wouldn’t really try to list them in terms of ‘best’ but we all have our favourites and Forrest, Prso and Mols (the genius) are mine. Keep Alfie for a season or two longer and he could be at/near the top.

Dado Prso was the ultimate all round perfect number 9. Pitty his knees were done but for 18 months he was phenomenal.

Goalscoring ability Kris Boyd is the best we have had for 20 years.

Jelavic was technically the best we have had since Mols and was a big game player. Some games he looked awful and then would pop up with the winner out of nothing.

Morelos is a mix of Mols, Jelavic, Prso and Cousin. He has all the good qualities of those player's. My only criticism would be his 'natural' finishing if that makes sense for someone with such a good record. Defoe is the perfect example of a natural finisher.

Let's also not forget Morelos went 10 consecutive games not scoring in his first season... twice! Plus he probably missed about 10 last season due to suspensions. How many more goals would he have got??

Morelos is the player cousin could/would have been if he’d been arsed on a regular basis.

The two are very similar imo.

Back