Who is the best opposing player you’ve seen in the flesh?

I remember Augentahler striding into our half and thinking ‘aye go on then hit it from there’
Goal
That Bayern team were up there with the best I’ve seen. Lothar Matheus (sp) was a sensational player.

Lillian Thuram is another often overlooked

Salah just made it look so simple when he came on

He def should, was on a different level to anyone on the park that night. Why wasn’t he a great? Just didn’t seem to care half the time.

Best players I seen is so hard. Gullit, Rijkarrd. seedorf, Maldini, Ronaldinho, Desailly, Messi, it’s a big list.

Defo wasn't Messi
He spent the night in Davie Weirs Back pocket

Another vote for the Valencia team. Mendieta the stand out, but the young lad Gerard alongside him who went to Barca was class, as were the rest, Claudio Lopez, kily Gonzalez, Adrian illie, anguli, etc.

Best team I ever saw.
They were superb at Ibrox that night, and many around me stood up and clapped several times. Mendieta was just the icing on top of the cream on the cake that night.

And that was the team Gerry McNee called the "Aberdeen of Spain" earlier that year.... when Aberdeen were consistently fighting relegation.

Reputation wise it's Messi but Papac had him sussed that night.

Performance wise Riquelme was amazing against us. Wesley Sneidjer breezed through a friendly against us too for Ajax and got clapped off the pitch.

Johan Cruyff. But I have to say that Paul Scholes is possibly the best British player I have seen playing against us.

I would vote Cruyff, however there have been numerous others already mentioned. I'd add Mario Kempes, Lillian Thuram to include a defensive master class, and Liam Brady. Adopts the foetal position for the incoming blows for that last one.

As with many others: Riquelme and Mendieta. Both absolutely terrifying whenever they got the ball.

Benzema was nearly as good but unfortunately (or fortunately) I only saw that one on TV.

As mentioned Riquelme, Benzema and Bellingham are the three that stood out the most for me.

However a special mention to Alexander Hleb in 2009 for Stuttgart I thought he was outstanding.

Riquelme in 2006 was unbelievable with Villarreal. Made it look so easy in midfield, absolutely bossed the game.

Pretty sure someone tried to cut Riquelme in two right in front of the dugouts, he skipped away and looked back smirking.

Also had an outrageous pass with the outside of his right foot round the back of Steven Smith right into the stride of a winger that I nearly broke into applause for.

Seen Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry for Barca in 2007 but all had a relatively quiet game that night.

Therefore, Riquelme for Villareal in 2006. Think he was carrying an injury but still bossed the game.

Benzema for Lyon, could tell he was going onto bigger things that night.

Del Piero has been mentioned a few times but that entire Juventus team was frightening.

They started with Vialli and replaced him with Ravanelli with 20 minutes to go.

I was awestruck by them.
The big left back Torricelli was a player.
I was at the game at Ibrox and for the life of me I can’t remember if Zidane played that night?

Benzema for Auxerre at Ibrox for me is the first name thst comes into my head on seeing this thread.

Others I was impressed with were Juan Sebastian Veron for Parma, Patrick Vieria for Arsenal (pre-season friendly) and Harry Kane (pre season friendly).

No one’s mentioned Deschamp, Desailly, Papin or Voller yet.
When you look at the names on this thread, we really have been honoured to watch some of the all time greats in the flesh

Seen Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho but Mendieta for Valencia was the best performance I have ever seen

There was a recent thread on the 1984 meeting with Inter Milan and I was in the enclosure that night and although we made a reasonable stab at overturning a 3-0 away loss with a 3-1 win, Rummenige & Brady were both outstanding for Inter.

Pele (not against us but have seen him)
Mario Kempes
Diego Maradona
Johann Cruyff

and a lot of the opponents already mentioned above.

Rudi Voller for Marseille 2-2 at Ibrox, thought he was amazing followed by Benzema for Lyon at Ibrox, then Mendietta for Valencia at Ibrox

Always remember Temuri Ketsbaia had an absolute stormer against us for Famagusta - he was nearly 40! Not up there with many mentioned here but he was class that night.

Reactions: VGM
i have seen Best, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldinho et al playing us - The best performance though is probably Prosinecki. Guy was in his prime and was phenomenal for Red Star.

Del Piero a traumatic 2 games to watch.
I wasn’t there but I remember being 9 and watching it on the TV. He was absolutely superb. Every time he got the ball, no matter where on the pitch he got it, you felt like he was gonna manage to score from it.

I actually remember OUR fans applauding him at the end of the game. Watched a few interviews with him since and the guy just oozes class.

One of the finest footballers of all time.

Derek Piero and Mendieta are the two that stick out.

Watching Rangers play in 1990's Europe could be a chastening experience!

Back