Who is the best opposing player you’ve seen in the flesh?

Mendieta.

Bossed the game from start to finish and no-one could get near him at a level i’d never seen before or since, even in 3,4,7 goal defeats.

Unfortunately led to us having to put up with some minge signing off every one of his posts for years: “Gaizka”

Every silver lining and that.

Del Piero in 95. Both ties. They p1ssed all over us and he was Chief P1sser. Ask Alec Cleland.
I remember the home game for a couple of reason. Being raging a teenager who adored McCoist, Salenko starting infront of him and fans applauding one of the Juve goals.

Paul Scholes in 2003 and 2010 have to be up there. Very classy performances in both games. The former more than the second as we didn’t really put any pressure on Man Utd in 2010.

Benzema is a decent shout from the OP for his two goals, granted I thought Davie Weir looked very much an old man when we played in the CL.

I remember the home game for a couple of reason. Being raging a teenager who adored McCoist, Salenko starting infront of him and fans applauding one of the Juve goals.
Must've been the 4th cos it was a screamer. I didn't applaud. I was in the WE beside the Juve fans and they were taunting us tae f**k. A most unpleasant evening.

I've been fortunate enough to see Pele, Best, Maradona (v Scotland),
and Cruyff, Eusebio and Beckenbauer v Rangers.
Cruyff was the most impressive in the games I saw,
but the one player who stuck out for me was Lubanski of Gornik.
My old man was on the ground staff at Hampden when Maradona was here with Argentina. He watched them training at lesser hampden the day before and said the stuff he could do with a football was unbelievable.

Seen many over the years

But one that sticks out strangely for me is Kaka when we played Milan in a friendly ,the boy just looked on another level friendly or not .
But he never really reached the heights expected of him though for some reason.

Have to agree with the Del Piero shouts. I thought we could match any team in Europe when we played well, back then. Him and that Juventus team finished my idea of being equals at that level. He was unbelievable
TBF they did go on to win it that year I’m sure? Beating Ajax in the final.

TBF they did go on to win it that year I’m sure? Beating Ajax in the final.

Yeah absolutely mate. They were frighteningly good. That was kinda what i was getting at though, to win a Champions League you needed players of his level. We were well short and that was when it dawned on me. We just couldnt compete at the pinnacle.

Some team though. Up there with Valencia as the 2 best teams i ever saw at Ibrox in the flesh

Hard to split Mendieta, Riquelme and Benzema.
It felt as if we were playing against 3 Mendietas, he was everywhere. Riquelme was pinging the ball all over the park with ridiculous accuracy and managed it with what looked like minimal or no effort. Benzema was fast, powerful and utterly deadly and I’m sure he was still only 19.

Prosinecki for Red Star strolled it Although their forward Pancev was not bad either.

Mendieta was another absolutely brilliant performance from a team laughably called the Aberdeen of Spain by the Record just because they had a slow start to the season
I worked with a Pompey fan who used to talk about Prosinecki. Think he was close to being 40 and he said he was easily the best player to have played for them. :))

For me it's always Riquelme that comes to mind.

After seeing him absolutely boss the midfield I bought him in every champ manager game and he constantly let me down!

Mendieta was also fantastic and Jude Bellingham really impressed me recently.

Seen Van Nistelrooy, Messi and Ronaldinho and clearly they all lacked the mentality to play at Ibrox.

Yeah absolutely mate. They were frighteningly good. That was kinda what i was getting at though, to win a Champions League you needed players of his level. We were well short and that was when it dawned on me. We just couldnt compete at the pinnacle.

Some team though. Up there with Valencia as the 2 best teams i ever saw at Ibrox in the flesh
That Valencia side were ridiculously good. I would have not long turned 18 and just allowed in the bookies and remember going up to watch the away game at a mates house and betting us to win 3-0 on the back of the Aberdeen of Spain nonsense that was in the papers :))

What was the name of that flying machine that played on the left for them? Quickest player I’ve ever seen he was lightening quick.

That Valencia side were ridiculously good. I would have not long turned 18 and just allowed in the bookies and remember going up to watch the away game at a mates house and betting us to win 3-0 on the back of the Aberdeen of Spain nonsense that was in the papers :))

What was the name of that flying machine that played on the left for them? Quickest player I’ve ever seen he was lightening quick.
Claudio Lopez? or Kily Gonzalez?

I remember Augentahler striding into our half and thinking ‘aye go on then hit it from there’
Goal
I was in the Broomie front that night and was right in the eyeline of that shot. I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect strike from distance since. I swear the ball didn't dip even a centimetre on its way in.

Prosinecki for Red Star strolled it Although their forward Pancev was not bad either.

Mendieta was another absolutely brilliant performance from a team laughably called the Aberdeen of Spain by the Record just because they had a slow start to the season
I was coming on to say Prosinecki ,I just thought who the hell is this guy when I saw him as our midfield couldn't get near him .

Paul Scholes in 2003 and 2010 have to be up there. Very classy performances in both games. The former more than the second as we didn’t really put any pressure on Man Utd in 2010.

Benzema is a decent shout from the OP for his two goals, granted I thought Davie Weir looked very much an old man when we played in the CL.
Kept Messi quiet at Ibrox though

I was in the Broomie front that night and was right in the eyeline of that shot. I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect strike from distance since. I swear the ball didn't dip even a centimetre on its way in.
Yeah, I was in the main stand front 10 yards inside our half, pretty much in lane with where he hit it from. Boom

Seen Messi and Ronaldinho who could be considered to be amongst the very best to ever play the game but neither really impressed at Ibrox. I thought Benzema was sensational when we faced him with Lyon,
Mendieta....Ortega..at Ibrox Benzema when just a pup not to shabby

Back