Who is the best opposing player you’ve seen in the flesh?

I Remember that ,wonder if im thinking of a different incident, i so clearly remember it was a high ball and he kilked it stone dead on top of his boot,a d carried on along the touchline,i actually think the ball came behind him!fk getting old
I remember that too, heavy rain, they were attacking the Broomloan and recall him being at full stretch just to reach the high ball & he killed it like it was the easiest thing in the world.
Can't remember if it was the friendly or the UCL home game, but I remember the gasps of awe from guys round about me in the EE.
One of my favourite football moments.

I remember that too, heavy rain, they were attacking the Broomloan and recall him being at full stretch just to reach the high ball & he killed it like it was the easiest thing in the world.
Can't remember if it was the friendly or the UCL home game, but I remember the gasps of awe from guys round about me in the EE.
One of my favourite football moments.
Im sure it was a competitive game i rarerly go to friendlies but thought i was going ga ga,glad you remembered it cheers

We played Marseille in a friendly and right in front of the EE A.Pele got the ball played into his feet at pace. He leaned one way leaving his foot planted and the ball spun over his head, over big Nisbetts head who spun about having no clue where the ball went whilst Pele charged towards the bye line. :))

You could tell that Marseille team were something special. Some of their football was incredible.

Benzema for Lyon
Mendieta for Valencia
Riquelme

Would also add in Bellingham for Dortmund last year could tell the lad was a class act

Best performance individually in the flesh was Gazza in the League Cup final second half or Neil McCann at the piggery.

Old bear here starting to recall Kempes,Requelme,benzema ,mendietta forgot Abede Pele,was that the night,he brought a high ball,down out on the touch line balanced on his foot and didnt break stride? Oh and Del Piero simply awesome
Remember the Abede Pele one well.
One of the finest individual touches I’ve ever seen at a game.
It was the pre-season friendly though, so doesn’t count!

I Remember that ,wonder if im thinking of a different incident, i so clearly remember it was a high ball and he kilked it stone dead on top of his boot,a d carried on along the touchline,i actually think the ball came behind him!fk getting old
Don’t put yourself down here, bud.
That’s the incident I refer to when discussing individual skills.

Best performance individually in the flesh was Gazza in the League Cup final second half or Neil McCann at the piggery.
I thought the thread was about individual performances against us as opposed to great players against us.
To this end, McCann against us in that Gascoigne League Cup Final was one of the best against us I’ve seen.

Riquelme in 2006 was unbelievable with Villarreal. Made it look so easy in midfield, absolutely bossed the game.
Came to post this. His touch and control was unreal, made it look like he had yards of space all the time.

Performance wise in the actual game, Riquelme or Mendieta.

But in general terms it's got to be Messi surely, for anybody that was there against Barca in 2007.

Not sure if anyone’s said this one yet but got to see Haaland sit in the stands one time at Ibrox, very mesmerising

Other than the usual and often said names, Forlan was outstanding against us.

Not entirely on subject, but take in a lot of Newcastle games, and seen De Bruyne a few times, in terms of players seen live in general he is by a fair distance as impressive a player in person I have ever seen, an outrageous football player

Riquelme in 2006 was unbelievable with Villarreal. Made it look so easy in midfield, absolutely bossed the game.
Riquelme is always the first one that comes to mind for me. Absolutely unbelievable quality on the ball.

Best player messi but for performance on the night riquelme, Seen del piero and mendieta but was a wee bit too young to remember

Messi and Iniesta in the same team, awesome!
My oldest memory at Ibrox was Gerhard Muller with Bayern Munich, think I was about 12 years old, he was a fantastic player.

Went to nou camp with son seen baca beat seville 3-0 ,messi,neymar and saurez all scored in the first half messi was amazing that night.

Messi but don’t remember him being particularly good on the night.
No we battled every ball that game ,apart from OF game,I remember coming out physically and mentally fucked that night ,kicked every ball with the team I was so involved, in it,my 3 memories,we nearly nicked it at the end,the size of Thierry Henry and Mr messi's moaning about us playing anti football

Last edited:
i have seen Best, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldinho et al playing us - The best performance though is probably Prosinecki. Guy was in his prime and was phenomenal for Red Star.

He made it look easy, even in his later stages of his career.

Think he infamously smoked 40 a day as well.

Johan Cruyff in UEFA Super Cup 1973 v Ajax. Cruyff was an amazing player anal round. He epitomised the total football concept at that time. I believe our own Derek Johnstone said he was the best player he had ever come up against wearing a light blue jersey.

A little off topic as I appreciate maybe not the best but Bellingham looked a class above in the Dortmund game and May go on to be one of the best around so maybe he “could” be the best I have seen down the line. All round demeanour helps the boy also.

They were superb at Ibrox that night, and many around me stood up and clapped several times. Mendieta was just the icing on top of the cream on the cake that night.

And that was the team Gerry McNee called the "Aberdeen of Spain" earlier that year.... when Aberdeen were consistently fighting relegation.
Aberdeen of Spain, remember that comment. Did they not go on to back to back champion league finals.

Salah this year was phenomenal.

On a personal note Matts Hummells vs Northern Ireland i never wanted the game to end.. From the back - half way line then a pin point pass. Was amazing to watch someone make it look so effortless

Fulham ....... Rodney Marsh, trying to get the ball off,
George Best and vise versa .....They we're both in the same team!

The other twenty players just stood back and lapped it up,
Along with the supporters.

I wonder how much these two great players would be valued at today?

Performance wise in the actual game, Riquelme or Mendieta.

But in general terms it's got to be Messi surely, for anybody that was there against Barca in 2007.
This might sound crazy but Papac marked him out the game that night at Ibrox

Gheorge Hagi in 1988, guy was everywhere.
Aguero,at the U-20 World Cup in Canada, scored pretty much every game as Argentina won it

Back