Who is VAR for?

Match going fans hate it. Most, but not all, fans who can't attend matches hate it.

Is it to be part of the switch to pleasing worldwide armchair audience? Is it football as a Saturday night entertainment show?

It's already, within a year, nothing to do with checking clear and obvious errors. It's also utterly random : see Villa penalty claim at Emirates.

I haven't even touched on the farce of goals and emotions undone by millimetres, reviewed 10-15 times.

What is it supposed to be doing to improve football?

VAR is designed to appease the playstation generation who can't deal with the fact that football isnt as certain as the computer game they play in their bedroom and that sometimes there can be controversy in games.

Referees get things wrong. Strikers take advantage of marginal offside decisions. Sometimes a penalty decision, either given or refused, is hotly disputed. It's part of football and removing all of it and making the game controlled to the nth degree is draining the eternal soul of the game.

Feck going to a game, seeing your team score a crucial goal then having to wait for a few mins to see if you can celebrate or not.

VAR is designed to appease the playstation generation who can't deal with the fact that football isnt as certain as the computer game they play in their bedroom and that sometimes there can be controversy in games.

Referees get things wrong. Strikers take advantage of marginal offside decisions. Sometimes a penalty decision, either given or refused, is hotly disputed. It's part of football and removing all of it and making the game controlled to the nth degree is draining the eternal soul of the game.

What a lot of pish.

So you'd be happy to lose a Champions League final or a World Cup final because of a dodgy decision when the technology could've corrected it?

VAR was brought in to help referees with decision making. Statistically it is doing that.

Obviously it's still at the early stage and it's far from perfect but it's here to stay and the clubs should get behind it and look to make positive changes.

Anything that has the backing of skeleton faced Dermot Gallagher is a no no for me , they are sanitising the game under the guise of " getting it right".
Please let me know when it's OK to celebrate that last minute winner .

What a lot of pish.

So you'd be happy to lose a Champions League final or a World Cup final because of a dodgy decision when the technology could've corrected it?

VAR was brought in to help referees with decision making. Statistically it is doing that.

Obviously it's still at the early stage and it's far from perfect but it's here to stay and the clubs should get behind it and look to make positive changes.

I'd be unhappy but I'd live with it.

Same as I'd live with winning a final on a disputed goal.

That's football

If this happened,if that happened. What I'm seeing right now is its screwing up the game for the punter.
The night man city had their goal chopped against spurs in the CL was enough for me.
No spurs players or fans were complaining about the goal,then got a decision even better than a last kick penalty to win the game.
That night proved to me that the clear and obvious rule many of them,refs included spoke about was a lie. All they've they've done is back track on that.
It's not for football fans and all this crap about big screens. I dont go to watch a big screen,be as well sitting at home watching all the new adverts that will appear American style

I'd be unhappy but I'd live with it.

Same as I'd live with winning a final on a disputed goal.

That's football

Any other sport embraces technology, for some reason football fans want mistakes to occur. Weird.

If this happened,if that happened. What I'm seeing right now is its screwing up the game for the punter.
The night man city had their goal chopped against spurs in the CL was enough for me.
No spurs players or fans were complaining about the goal,then got a decision even better than a last kick penalty to win the game.
That night proved to me that the clear and obvious rule many of them,refs included spoke about was a lie. All they've they've done is back track on that.
It's not for football fans and all this crap about big screens. I dont go to watch a big screen,be as well sitting at home watching all the new adverts that will appear American style

You're actually disputing that decision? It would've cost Spurs their place in the final and the correct decision was made.

Football isn't a set piece game like American Football. It's fast, flowing and has always had its share of errors. Why must they be removed? The fact that all games from Wembley to Hackney Marshes were same rules, equipment and the like.

Why do we need millimetres decided when no one on either team complains, or has hands up?

Any other sport embraces technology, for some reason football fans want mistakes to occur. Weird.

You're actually disputing that decision? It would've cost Spurs their place in the final and the correct decision was made.

Do we want football to be as stop/start as the NFL? Even then they get big decisions wrong. New Orleans conference final last year - videos missed a clear pass interference call. Saints were denied a superbowl place even though videos were available. Football can't just blindly copy other sports.

Do you really want strikers to be offside by an armpit? Next it'll be offside by a baw hair.

At least it would have been a final. Sorry,but the margins for calling offside are ridiculous. All it's doing is stopping goals that would have stood before var.
After all the game is all about goals and all I'm seeing is goals being chopped off. Thought the forward was to get the benefit of the doubt. I just cant see that the majority who attend games are happy with this.

Do we want football to be as stop/start as the NFL? Even then they get big decisions wrong. New Orleans conference final last year - videos missed a clear pass interference call. Saints were denied a superbowl place even though videos were available. Football can't just blindly copy other sports.

Do you really want strikers to be offside by an armpit? Next it'll be offside by a baw hair.

At least it would have been a final. Sorry,but the margins for calling offside are ridiculous. All it's doing is stopping goals that would have stood before var.
After all the game is all about goals and all I'm seeing is goals being chopped off. Thought the forward was to get the benefit of the doubt. I just cant see that the majority who attend games are happy with this.

You're getting a bit over excited there. Football will never be like the NFL where the game stops every 10 seconds.

I agree re: offside, some of the decisions have been far too close to call accurately IMO. Son's for Spurs the other day was the worst I've seen yet and I still don't actually think he's offside.

The technology itself is a good thing for football, they just need to iron out quite a few things and hopefully that all comes in time / when there's more experience of it and better understanding of how it should be used.

Perhaps but getting correct decisions is paramount. The Maradona handball could never happen now.
And it would never have gone down in folk lore. Who said decisions in a football had to be 'correct'? As it has always been you employ a trained individual to interpret laws, like a trained judge in a court room. They are interpretations, there is no correct. VAR creates a different game in my opinion and goes against how football has always been. We love football, why change it? I could be wrong but that's how I've always felt about it.

It's just new and needs time to adapt as it's not being applied properly for all situations yet.

We need to get to a challenge situation like in tennis. Teams get 2 per game. If a wrong decision initially made then you keep your challenge.

Match going fans hate it. Most, but not all, fans who can't attend matches hate it.

Is it to be part of the switch to pleasing worldwide armchair audience? Is it football as a Saturday night entertainment show?

It's already, within a year, nothing to do with checking clear and obvious errors. It's also utterly random : see Villa penalty claim at Emirates.

I haven't even touched on the farce of goals and emotions undone by millimetres, reviewed 10-15 times.

What is it supposed to be doing to improve football?
The “utterly random” bit of your post frightens the shite out of me.

If it ever comes to Scotland we are fucked, fucked big time.

If you thought the Procession of RC compliance officers were doing us damage wait until a fucking trio of them get their hands on the tools that’ll fucking make the CO look like Billy McBoyne.

It doesn’t bear thinking about.

And it would never have gone down in folk lore. Who said decisions in a football had to be 'correct'? As it has always been you employ a trained individual to interpret laws, like a trained judge in a court room. They are interpretations, there is no correct. VAR creates a different game in my opinion and goes against how football has always been. We love football, why change it? I could be wrong but that's how I've always felt about it.

So just to be clear, you'd be happy if hypothetically Rangers and Celtic got to a major European final and Celtic won the game with a blatant hand ball (cheating) and nobody spotted it. You'd be ok with that because it's a good talking point?

Nonsense.

If you aren’t fussed about getting decisions correct, then what is the point if having officials at all, heck even rules, heck even football.

So just to be clear, you'd be happy if hypothetically Rangers and Celtic got to a major European final and Celtic won the game with a blatant hand ball (cheating) and nobody spotted it. You'd be ok with that because it's a good talking point?

Nonsense.
Well that's what we've always had and still have and I'm happy yes.

Nonsense.

It's football. It isn't something that you can reduce to a soulless series of set pieces that deliver a 100% certain outcome based on predetermined rules.

Sadly (?) I didn't see the Arsenal game yesterday so can't comment on that one. The one in Perth though was as blatant as it gets. A one-eyed pirate wearing an eye-patch could, and should, have seen that one and awarded a penalty - never mind a VAR with his banks of monitors and endless replays from multiple angles. Astonishing decision.

Stevie Wonder could see it was a blatant handball and penalty in Perth!

Same folk greeting about VAR were probably doing the same when the offside rule was introduced or when a win went from being 2 points to 3.

Back