Who partners Lundstram in midfield - the biggest question mark left in our team?

nateman

Don't think we have anyone who's a nailed on starter for that role along side Lundstram in our midfield. Jack & Kamara have both started the season poorly and don't seem suited to that role in a lot of games we play domestically, Arfield is more of an impact player but did ok I think against USG, and I don't think Davis has the legs anymore for the faster paced games in Gio's midfield.

How do we see this issue being solved going forward? And who do we play there in the PSV tie?

It’ll change game by game. Players more than capable of coming in and doing a job. People also starting to write Jack and Kamara off after a couple of poorer performances. Those clambering to discuss who partners Lundstrum should remember that it was him to be hunted out the door this time last year. Players have dips in form, it doesn’t mean they are finished.

For games like PSV it will definitely be Kamara. Potentially Jack eventually but he doesn't seem fit enough at the moment.

For some domestic games I'd like to see Davis play as he gives us quite a lot of control and is still one of the best passers at the club. For other domestic games against poor sides at home we might see something like Lundstram-Lawrence with Tillman ahead of them. Or perhaps Arfield involved as well. Basically only one sitting midfield player.

It's something we must sort next summer window. We need a real partner for Lundstram in the midfield two.

Kamara for me. I think the only reason Arfield was in there for the Union game was because we expected to have them pinned back and Arfield likes to make forward runs. Against PSV though our central 2 will have to be more disciplined in terms of their positioning.

It’ll depend on who we’re playing I think.

There’s games where Jack could play for example and Lundstram will have more of an advanced role, there’s some games domestically he won’t have a partner and we might see one of the full backs be more cautious going forward in each attack to balance it out.

I expect to see Kamara in with him against PSV.

It’ll change game by game. Players more than capable of coming in and doing a job. People also starting to write Jack and Kamara off after a couple of poorer performances. Those clambering to discuss who partners Lundstrum should remember that it was him to be hunted out the door this time last year. Players have dips in form, it doesn’t mean they are finished.
This.

In scottish football apart from maybe against 2 or 3 I think we should play the way we did on Tuesday alot more attacking to beat these teams sitting in. Against better opposition then i think we need the 2 I'd play Davis at the moment.

Don't think we have anyone who's a nailed on starter for that role along side Lundstram in our midfield. Jack & Kamara have both started the season poorly and don't seem suited to that role in a lot of games we play domestically, Arfield is more of an impact player but did ok I think against USG, and I don't think Davis has the legs anymore for the faster paced games in Gio's midfield.

How do we see this issue being solved going forward? And who do we play there in the PSV tie?
The answer to this question is entirely dependent on the circumstances of the game and who we are playing and where and the availability of all the squad
Home games at Ibrox excluding the dark side would be treated differently from an away game at say Pittodrie or European tie and different players used
In my opinion after Union confirmed that Arfield can only be used as impact player full stop
Against PSV likely to go with Kamara/Jack alongside Lundstrum
In summary Gio operates with a squad and will rotate so I don’t think you can name 1 player who would routinely partner Lundstrum

All depends on the opposition really. For instance in games we are likely to be underdogs I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jack Kamara and Lundstram together.
Davis keeps us ticking over better than anyone else in the squad.
Arfield and Lawrence offer a more offensive outlook.

It's probably our strongest position

Jacks in his last year of his contract and GVB to me hasnt got the same love in that SG had with him.
Big season for Ryan, wrong side of 30 and injuries.

Against domestic sides it should be Tom Lawrence, with Tillman, Matondo, Kent and Alfie ahead of then

In Europe it'll likely be Kamara or Jack

Why can someone not just have a bad game without it being about attitude?
Bad game happens, you try things they don’t work out never slag a player if they are trying. Didn’t see the effort and that concerns me.

He is by far the best player to play along side Lundstram in our squad but needs to apply himself more consistently.

Depends on who we are playing, Run of the mill SPFL team I would go with Lundstram, Tillman and Lawrence.

In Europe and against that mob I would go with 2 holding. Based on current form I would go Lundstram and Davis with either Tillman or Lawrence.

On form and fit I'd take Ryan Jack, not sure if Gio fancies him though.. haven't seen a lot of him recently (or is he injured?)

Longer term surely we should be looking to get Charlie McCann games? If he's not getting first team games by the end of this season then he will become the next Stephen Kelly.

I reckon it'll rotate between Davis and Kamara.

Honestly don't know where Jack fits in.
I think over the season jack will rotate with lundstram because we won’t want to over play him either. Jacks role as a squad player is probably where he is currently ability wise.

Davis for me....good influence on young players around him and has been there and seen the lot.
I done think he would manage 90mins but at least 60/70.

It's crazy the way players are written off in here, knee jerk reactions to one poor game.

Both Jack and Kamara are top players, more than capable of doing a job for Rangers for a few years yet.
Jack needs to get and stay fit, hopefully, and he'll improve the team.
Gio needs to figure out Glen's best role, he's a top class footballer.

It's crazy the way players are written off in here, knee jerk reactions to one poor game.

Both Jack and Kamara are top players, more than capable of doing a job for Rangers for a few years yet.
Jack needs to get and stay fit, hopefully, and he'll improve the team.
Gio needs to figure out Glen's best role, he's a top class footballer.

Problem with Jack is that he used to be our midfield enforcer if you call it that. He'd clean up the mess and that was fine, he was good at it. But now we have Lundstram for that who is far better at it and who also has terrific passing ability.

Jack's very limited in possession IMO.

If we need someone anchoring midfield in away Euro games Jack over Kamara every day.

Lundstram will likely be part of the back 5 in those games

I don’t think we’ve yet looked anywhere near balanced middle to front.
That’s not a surprise with a lot of new faces in the team and a couple of big losses in Aribo and Bassey going out the team.

As the OP points out the form of Jack and Kamara hasn’t been good whilst that can change I think Jack sadly will be in a loop with injuries I would think we really sort of need Kamara or indeed Davis looking like they are going to deliver stable performances.

We have now an abundance of middle to front players I personally think we should have tweaked the squad to make a solid midfield signing -maybe easier said than done but that’s how I see it

Problem with Jack is that he used to be our midfield enforcer if you call it that. He'd clean up the mess and that was fine, he was good at it. But now we have Lundstram for that who is far better at it and who also has terrific passing ability.

Jack's very limited in possession IMO.
Jack historically has had a superb pass completion rate -was the same when he was at Aberdeen but I do think his fitness suggests he won’t be able to deliver the way we need

Jack historically has had a superb pass completion rate -was the same when he was at Aberdeen but I do think his fitness suggests he won’t be able to deliver the way we need

If Lundstram wasn't in the picture then I think we'd be looking at Jack starting 40+ games a season (injuries withstanding). But Lundstram does everything Jack does and then some.

If Lundstram wasn't in the picture then I think we'd be looking at Jack starting 40+ games a season (injuries withstanding). But Lundstram does everything Jack does and then some.
Jack I can’t see getting close to that number of games… personally I don’t the gap between them being that big we need to see more of JL but without doubt he has bypassed Jack as being our key player as RJ simply isn’t reliable fitness wise

Jack , Davis, kamara all too similar for me and think it actually hinders us rather then helps. We don’t need two holding type players for Scottish games.

For me we don’t have anyone that completely links defence to attack and is who we are missing. (Davis the closest but tends to keep turning back these days than wanting to move forward)

It’s where we should spend some decent money. Especially as all the ones mentioned will be off next year. (Billy Gilmour would be ideal) and now out the pic at chelsea

Davis for me. Kamara was running around like headless chicken when he came on on Tue and it was no coincidence we looked a bit ropey in the last 5 mins and the 5 mins extra time.

Back