Who remembers Goal Average ?

rfc1952

Official Ticketer
Goal Difference, as we know it now, I believe was introduced in Scotland back in Season 1971/72.

Older Bears will however remember Goal Average being used to decide League Champions.

Over the years it did work to our advantage - in 1953 we won the League on Goal Average from Hibs but if Goal Difference had been in place Hibs would have been Champions. Same in 1965 when Killie beat Hearts 2-0 in the final game of the season to win the League.

Conversely in 2003 we famously won the League on Goal Difference from Celtic - similarly they won the League in 1986 ahead of Hearts - both on Goal Difference whereas if it had been Goal Average the winners would have been reversed.

We all of course recall season 1988/89 in England when (I hate to say) Arsenal took the title ahead of Liverpool With a 2-0 win at Anfield and while both teams had the same Goal Difference Arsenal had scored more goals.

Always thought goal average was the best format.

Football fans want to see goals. I'd rather see us win 4 2 than 2 0.

The team with most goals wins, really simple concept. That's how it works over 90mins, that's how it should be over a season.

Goal difference seems more simple and logical to me. As far as I can make out, goal average placed more emphasis on not conceding goals.

Maybe I have been scarred by living through Celtic’s 9IAR but any sort of victory is my preference and to give the opposition nothing is especially sweet.

Always thought goal average was the best format.

Football fans want to see goals. I'd rather see us win 4 2 than 2 0.

The team with most goals wins, really simple concept. That's how it works over 90mins, that's how it should be over a season.

High scoring games don't necessarily provide a better goal average.
EG 80 for 60 against gives ave 1.33
60 for 40 against gives ave 1.50
140 goals scored in the first example, but only 100 in the second.

Seems I've got this completely wrong....ah well.

Goal average is a bit more complicated than dividing the amount of goals scored by the amount of games played....

Anyhow....goal difference is a better format and does promote more attacking football... I'm off to bed.

Edit.... what's wrong with the team that scores the most goals winning the league?

In 1965 Hearts lost the league on goal average: if goal difference had been in place, they'd have won it.

In 1986 Hearts lost the league on goal difference: if goal average had been in place they'd have won it.

Across those 50-odd years, Hearts have never won the league.

Seems I've got this completely wrong....ah well.

Goal average is a bit more complicated than dividing the amount of goals scored by the amount of games played....

Anyhow....goal difference is a better format and does promote more attacking football... I'm off to bed.

Edit.... what's wrong with the team that scores the most goals winning the league?

Goal average was goals scored divided by goals against.
Re your last point, nothing wrong with that.

Back