Who remembers when the Enclosure was split 50/50 for Old Firm games

I was in the Main Stand for the 5-1 game next to the bheasts. Two lines of orange electricians tape running down the side of about 4 seats with maybe 5 policemen in that little no mans land as segregation. They boosted my YTS wages by about 10% with every goal.

Define riot? :))
The odd bottle was hurled during the early-mid 80s from one side to the other.
Could see the whites of their eyes!
Recall there being some horizontally mounted scaffolding mounted between the sides - not just plod. Sure the police match commander used to sit in the announcer's wee hut thing so I guess plod were pretty much overseeing any chance of a "riot".
Mental times though

Did they not get half the upper main stand as well? Mental
My first OF game was the 3-0 victory in Nov 1980. Ibrox was under renovation. I was in Main Stand and it was about quarter full of Tims and West Enclosure was all Scummy. They also had the new Broomloan Rd stand. IIRC out of a capcity of 34000 they had 14000 that day.

From 1989/90 until 1993/94 our official allocation there was 18K-20K which was the terracing in the earlier 80s it was around 25k including the Main Stand section

They were probably quite happy to give us the 20k as they struggled to sell their own tickets.

used to be pretty wild close to the tunnel.
There was a constant exchange of coins, fag ends, the odd bottle/can and you were close enough to spit :oops: ..... Bears in the main stand also took the opportunity to drop stuff on them!
The atmosphere was poisonous and events during The Troubles were celebrated aloud.

My first OF game was the 3-0 victory in Nov 1980. Ibrox was under renovation. I was in Main Stand and it was about quarter full of Tims and West Enclosure was all Scummy. They also had the new Broomloan Rd stand. IIRC out of a capcity of 34000 they had 14000 that day.
Weekend after Chesterfield I think. Nicholas first Old Firm match. Was bummed up something rotten...............and he was fucking rotten as well! Main stand for me that day and back to the police social club in Pollok Park after. That was a great place to get in before and after matches.

I was in early one game around new year there wasn’t many in and this idiot was giving the big un , genuflecting his wee heart out when a pie hit him right in the puss. We all thought it was funny, him not so:))

I never remember any riot either at Ibrox or the piggery with such large away supports.

There were incidents but nothing that comes close to being defined as a riot.

I remember when the Govan was covered terrace it was the same. Although something tells me it might not have been quite 50/50

Last edited:
Not even a No Man's Land. :p :p :p

The tunnel was no mans land, I even remembered them getting some of the main stand and the derry.
We also got some of their main stand and half the jungle when over at the piggery

I mind the coin toss before the the actual coin toss to decide the venue

Sure Liam Brady made an arse of it
First toss Walter told him it was to decide who called after we lost the call and we won the next toss to play at Ibrox

My uncle was a cop and told me he was on duty at a game against them at Ibrox in the seventies and said there were reports of a Rangers fan running about with a samurai sword. He said “We never did find the c@nt either”. It must have been insane back then.
Thinking could have been the first game of 75-76 season we unfurled the league flag and won 2-1 69000 there.
Was mayhem outside Ibrox that day so could well have been then.

Always feel jealous watching footage of games like the 4-2 win on New Years Day 94 and seeing the whole terrace celebrating. It's good being in that corner when Rangers score but must've been great to be amongst 18k Rangers fans celebrating like that.

Weekend after Chesterfield I think. Nicholas first Old Firm match. Was bummed up something rotten...............and he was fucking rotten as well! Main stand for me that day and back to the police social club in Pollok Park after. That was a great place to get in before and after matches.

Yip, the OF game followed on from the 3-0 defeat away to Chesterfield.

This was mine too, was in the east enclosure right at the front.

Bonkers when each of the goals went in. Loved it.

I was in the WE that day, the scum only had a small part near the Broomloan.

I missed that game with the flu. I was devastated anyway with the Chesterfield result in the midweek, but the 3-0 win blew that away. Still, there was the nagging doubt in my mind that we shouldn't be losing to English Third Division minnows and a good win over the vermin was only disguising that.

I missed that game with the flu. I was devastated anyway with the Chesterfield result in the midweek, but the 3-0 win blew that away. Still, there was the nagging doubt in my mind that we shouldn't be losing to English Third Division minnows and a good win over the vermin was only disguising that.
No doubt losing to Chesterfield was embarrassing. I was at the1st leg at Ibrox and we struggled to draw 1-1 so was not very hopeful we'd win. Had a feeling we did not take the tourney too seriously, especially having fans travelling south in decent numbers after our previous troubles whenever we cross the border.

Can't even comprehend what it was like sharing toilets with them during games, surely it must have kicked off all the time?

At the old Ibrox my memory tells me the Celtic fans got the West Terrace, 1/3 of the covered enclosure, the west enclosure and 1500 in the stand. We got at Parkhead, the east terrace, the east enclosure, 1/3 of the Jungle and 1200 in the stand

I was a kid but recall the Ash bit behind the enclosure where police horses were kept and swear seen a few warms ups pre substitutions.

Loved the old East terracing at their place as well janefield section was the place to be Mind one game we grabbed from memory scaffolding planks and steamed in team handed free of charge to dissappear among 15k bodies in the stand, the entry fee was like 1.50

There's no doubt seating had to be introduced but it definitely took the atmospbere out as well.

You may not believe this but I actually stood amongst them one game. I was bevvied and thought I'd act the hard man, i was able to walk from our bit of the enclosure into theirs.
What a fanny.

I was a kid but recall the Ash bit behind the enclosure where police horses were kept and swear seen a few warms ups pre substitutions.

Loved the old East terracing at their place as well janefield section was the place to be Mind one game we grabbed from memory scaffolding planks and steamed in team handed free of charge to dissappear among 15k bodies in the stand, the entry fee was like 1.50

There's no doubt seating had to be introduced but it definitely took the atmospbere out as well.
Did we not look down into the bit where the police horses were kept? Just behind the lowest part of the main stand after we went back to the walk way bit and could see down into it?

I can remember scuffles on the Main Stand concourse when the mentally challengeds had probably a couple of thousand seats.

Did they not get half the upper main stand as well? Mental
Yes I remember getting tickets when the young brother came over from Oz with his teenage son, border line main stand next to the mhanks. Mo Johnston was still playing for them and scored, innocently the nephew stood up and started applauding, fellow bears around wanted him strung up but we managed to explain that he was from down under and didn't understand it wasn't the done thing.

My first season ticket was for the West, was altered the following season to the East & remained there.
Last time I was in the West was for the UCL qualifier v Leeds in 92.

That was quite a game as I recall, maybe some folk still remember it

Remember it well. I also remember the Derry and how we shared the toilets under that terracing with the tims.
Toilets!??!
Not what I'd have called them.
Remember all the jokes about the scum being confused at have actual toilets including soap as the ground was re developed?

Remember those days well. Never really stood in the enclosure that much as the old man always took me and my brother to sit in the main stand. Did get a close up view of a Graham Roberts bullet header against Hertz on the day McCoist beat Jim Forrest’s record, from the west enclosure though.

Different times. The enclosure gave you good value for money as an st holder for atmosphere and comparative cheapness with other areas of the ground.

Back