Who remembers when the Enclosure was split 50/50 for Old Firm games

You may not believe this but I actually stood amongst them one game. I was bevvied and thought I'd act the hard man, i was able to walk from our bit of the enclosure into theirs.
What a fanny.

Three of us decided to go to the Beach End at pittodrie back in the late 70s when it was the sheep end. Only two of us made it out. I was released at midnight.

Remember those days well. Never really stood in the enclosure that much as the old man always took me and my brother to sit in the main stand. Did get a close up view of a Graham Roberts bullet header against Hertz on the day McCoist beat Jim Forrest’s record, from the west enclosure though.

Different times. The enclosure gave you good value for money as an st holder for atmosphere and comparative cheapness with other areas of the ground.

Jim Forrest had a ST in the WE back in the 90s.

Another drunken memory of the old enclosure.
There used to be a wee room/ box where the played the music and made announcements etc. It was in the middle of the enclose right behind the tunnel. Any way I'm drunk again and coming back from the toilet when i trip and fall down a few steps right through the door into the wee room thing. Ha ha the two boys doing the announcements shit themselves.
As i said, what a fanny.

I remember there was no segregation in the West Enclosure. A mix of bears and bead rattlers and I don’t remember much if any trouble. Talking about early to mid 70s.

Remember this well.

Being honest, I liked the basically split stadia for the OF fixtures. Of course, it could get a bit wild west outside, but the atmosphere inside was superb. :D

The horrendous site and sound of the delayed reaction roar of their crowd coming from their terracing if they scored just added to the tension of these fixtures.

I loved it :))

Rangers fans in the "jungle" v Celtic in 1968 no segregation whatsoever.

My folks, both KP/Plantation people told me that Rangers and Celtic fans would walk down the PRW together back in the day without any bother. The Troubles in NI 1969 onwards changed things
I stood in the jungle for a number of games up to the mid seventies, you entered via the Rangers end and just walked into that area.
In the seventies our fans only occupied about a third, the division( a passageway)
was before the half way line.
The only area that was dangerous was the toilets which ran the length of the jungle.

I remember there was no segregation in the West Enclosure. A mix of bears and bead rattlers and I don’t remember much if any trouble. Talking about early to mid 70s.
There was a reasonable level of respect in society then. In other words a time and a place. I well remember going to the butchers on Cathcart Road near Aikenhead Road on Fridays with my mum. Guys from Dixon Blazes would be battling on the pavement at 3pm. "Haud on boys. Here's a wummin" And they would stop until we walked past. Hard as nails but a code of conduct you could respect. Same at the matches as well. The trouble was taken outside.

Can almost hear the age old battle cry of, “Erza macaroon ah’n choo’n gum!” from the old bloke carrying his cardboard boxes.
Saw a boy getting arrested in there for going mental at one of the sellers for trying to overcharge him for a Wagon Wheel !!

Rangers fans in the "jungle" v Celtic in 1968 no segregation whatsoever.

My folks, both KP/Plantation people told me that Rangers and Celtic fans would walk down the PRW together back in the day without any bother. The Troubles in NI 1969 onwards changed things

I was at that game behind the goals in the Rangers End.

Weekend after Chesterfield I think. Nicholas first Old Firm match. Was bummed up something rotten...............and he was fucking rotten as well! Main stand for me that day and back to the police social club in Pollok Park after. That was a great place to get in before and after matches.

Big DJ at centre half that day had the cannon ball kid in his back pocket

Remember it well. I remember them in the West when we scudded them 4-1, New Year ‘89 but I was in the West when Hurlock scored in a 1-1 game, ‘91

I remember the old firm game at the piggery in April 87 when we were going for the league under Souness and we lost 3-1.
A lot of bears had bought tickets for the Celtic end as demand outstripped supply for our part.
The bears were all assembled beside the main stand part of the terracing and when they scored that part of the terracing did not move and they stuck out like a sore thumb.

I remember it well, back in the day, the EE was in place to be.
Yes, although the Copland Rd was the traditional Rangers end the EE was always the place we wanted to be. Just a few dozen polis was enough to keep us apart during the old firm games.

I never liked them in the west enclosure. We were the home team, we should have had the vast majority of the ground, yet they got all of the Broomloan, the WE, part of the main stand and part of the Govan. It was too much.

When they were reduced to just the Broomloan that felt right to me. One side of the ground behind the goal and we got the same at Park Paed, until they revamped it and shoved us into a corner taking away the advantage of us having a bank of our support behind one goal.

We should have responded in kind immediately yet it took us years to finally do so.

My school mate thin Ron hit Bobby Lennox with a pie as the players were coming down the tunnel for half time during a reserve game...that man should have been arrested for his language.That's my memory of those halcien day's.
Obviously i do not condone wasting pies in these more woke days.

I was at that game behind the goals in the Rangers End.
My first ever visit to Parkhead. I remember being shocked at the state of it. Corrugated Iron Main Stand, Ash terraces and just a total dump after being used to Ibrox.

There was 50/50 at both grounds and at Hampden up until we created all seater stadiums and introduced Season Tickets for all parts of the ground.
IIRC we only had about 5k ST Holders in the Main Stand and I think some in the Enclosure Before we rebuilt Ibrox.

As a boy at HT we would often walk round to the end Rangers were shooting into Especially if it was foggy.

Them having one end was ok when we had the whole end at Parkhead but those rats designed their new stadium to mess things up for us as much as possible. Stuck in a corner and terrible access to the stadium.

to be blunt I don’t miss them being in Ibrox one single bit.

Always loved the East Enclosure. Ah mind my first time with my mates back in the early 80's and leaning against the barrier. Goal went in, boom crushed against the barrier with the surge from behind. We then decided to go under the barrier and have it at our back. Another goal went in, boom crushed against the barrier again when the surge came back up this time! The we ended up in the middle getting flung about like an empty trackie! Ah the good old days...

My school mate thin Ron hit Bobby Lennox with a pie as the players were coming down the tunnel for half time during a reserve game...that man should have been arrested for his language.That's my memory of those halcien day's.
Obviously i do not condone wasting pies in these more woke days.
Waste of a pie :)

My first ever visit to Parkhead. I remember being shocked at the state of it. Corrugated Iron Main Stand, Ash terraces and just a total dump after being used to Ibrox.

There was 50/50 at both grounds and at Hampden up until we created all seater stadiums and introduced Season Tickets for all parts of the ground.
IIRC we only had about 5k ST Holders in the Main Stand and I think some in the Enclosure Before we rebuilt Ibrox.

As a boy at HT we would often walk round to the end Rangers were shooting into Especially if it was foggy.

Them having one end was ok when we had the whole end at Parkhead but those rats designed their new stadium to mess things up for us as much as possible. Stuck in a corner and terrible access to the stadium.

to be blunt I don’t miss them being in Ibrox one single bit.

I remember my first visit to Parkhead ... it was maybe a year before the 4-2 game and I think we lost 1-0. Anyway, as I approached the turnstiles all you could hear was GSTQ being belted out by the Rangers End.

Let's be honest, in those days most grounds were shitholes. The Rangers End at Hampden was ash terraces too. Ibrox was better but not much. Facilities were very basic at best.

I was in the Main Stand for the 5-1 game next to the bheasts. Two lines of orange electricians tape running down the side of about 4 seats with maybe 5 policemen in that little no mans land as segregation. They boosted my YTS wages by about 10% with every goal.
I was in the east enclosure that day. Right next to the tunnel, looking over to the west enclosure spied two of ma c.... c supporting mates. What a day 0-1 doon, rained like %^*&, then rained 5 goals doon oan them sun came oot dried oot then sunburnt face only in Scotland. Those really were the days love them n miss em, auld tadger loyal.

I realize that Im in a small minority on this issue, but I do miss the unique atmosphere in OF games generated by both sets of fans having a go at each other. It was the reason why this event had become famous in football circles way beyond the borders of Scotland.

I fully appreciate that the way Parkhead was renovated disadvantaged Rangers supporters who were crammed into a corner, not only out of sight of the main camera angles, but at a psychological disadvantage in terms of their visual presence, whereas celtic fans, because of the smaller ground capacity at Ibrox, received the entirety of the Broomloan.

Instead, I would have liked Rangers to have sought an agreement based upon an equal, agreed upon percentage of fans, as determined by the relative capacity of each stadium. Since the capacity of Parkhead is larger than that of Ibrox,
it follows, that if the relative percentage of fans from each club remained equal, then Rangers should have had a proportionally greater number of seats when playing at the piggery.

Only if Celtic refused to agree to this, would I have gone ahead with the present arrangements.

I was a steward in Govan rear when they got 2 sections. Bobby Williamson’s overhead kick. What a day a had then

Old enough to have been in their main stand, but funnily I can't remember seeing many of them (maybe my seat was next to the bears) I do remember the days of the split enclosure as it was a bit hairy. The strange thing was they got all of the West enclosure but only a 1/4 of the main stand, so the mhankies nearer the tunnel were always getting pelted from above with (ahem) liquids, coins and other stuff! It sent them to the high do and amplified the tension somewhat. Fantastic times to be a Rangers supporter

There was what amounted to a crush barrier running parallel to the tunnel wall up until about 1986. That was what “prevented” the crowd getting to the tunnel. It didn’t really work TBH, the abuse the Rangers players took from our own fans was pretty bad. Saw John Greig being spat at by our own fans, that was fucking vile. Souness insisted on the big lager can tunnel
For the Old Firms, the segregation was behind the announcers box. A few police and some barriers. I don’t remember it being too bad. Worst ever was a reserve game in the Main Stand

I realize that Im in a small minority on this issue, but I do miss the unique atmosphere in OF games generated by both sets of fans having a go at each other. It was the reason why this event had become famous in football circles way beyond the borders of Scotland.

I fully appreciate that the way Parkhead was renovated disadvantaged Rangers supporters who were crammed into a corner, not only out of sight of the main camera angles, but at a psychological disadvantage in terms of their visual presence, whereas celtic fans, because of the smaller ground capacity at Ibrox, received the entirety of the Broomloan.

Instead, I would have liked Rangers to have sought an agreement based upon an equal, agreed upon percentage of fans, as determined by the relative capacity of each stadium. Since the capacity of Parkhead is larger than that of Ibrox,
it follows, that if the relative percentage of fans from each club remained equal, then Rangers should have had a proportionally greater number of seats when playing at the piggery.

Only if Celtic refused to agree to this, would I have gone ahead with the present arrangements.
Do you not think they tried? Those tramps will never give us an end.

Willie Thornton, when showing me and a few others around Ibrox informed us that at the New Year game, both sets of fans passed bottles between each other.

Saw a boy getting arrested in there for going mental at one of the sellers for trying to overcharge him for a Wagon Wheel !!
Wagon Wheels?

That’s a bit exotic.
Was macaroon and chewing gum in my day.

My first OF game was the 3-0 victory in Nov 1980. Ibrox was under renovation. I was in Main Stand and it was about quarter full of Tims and West Enclosure was all Scummy. They also had the new Broomloan Rd stand. IIRC out of a capcity of 34000 they had 14000 that day.
Weekend after Chesterfield I think. Nicholas first Old Firm match. Was bummed up something rotten...............and he was fucking rotten as well! Main stand for me that day and back to the police social club in Pollok Park after. That was a great place to get in before and after matches.
I was in the EE that day. Old Centenary Stand had been flattened and cleared for the Govan Stand so only 3 quarters of the ground open. I remember seeing Des Lynham on the TV gantry and the following Friday on Nationwide he had a bit about football for the weekend and mentioned that he was at his first OF match the previous Saturday and it made English football sound like a silent movie.
There's no doubt the atmosphere was amazing but that was then, and now I want as few of the smelly tramps in our place as possible.

Yes

Last season of it was 1988/89
I was going to say the same,i thought it was around that season as my first old firm game was when Mo Johnston scored in the last minute and i was with my two mates in the west enclosure and i was sure it was not long before that

Willie Thornton, when showing me and a few others around Ibrox informed us that at the New Year game, both sets of fans passed bottles between each other.

I remember being at this game and bottles were being passing between each sets of fans but it was thru the air I just remember it raining down with bottles, It was my first Old Firm game and it was only a row of stairs and 1 police man between each sets of fans and my Dad and his mates all sat down leaving a 9 year old Pentasa sitting in the set beside the aisle and right beside the Celtic supporters

I remember being at this game and bottles were being passing between each sets of fans but it was thru the air I just remember it raining down with bottles, It was my first Old Firm game and it was only a row of stairs and 1 police man between each sets of fans and my Dad and his mates all sat down leaving a 9 year old Pentasa sitting in the set beside the aisle and right beside the Celtic supporters
I think you should join the Old Codger Loyal.
Thank you for your story.

Back