Who was our last top drawer marquee signing?

TamS-RFC

Excluding the gaffer. Players only.

I remember when I was younger and we signed Frank De Boer who was of course at the tail end of his career. Were there many after that? And even still was F.De Boer even considered marquee at the time? Also remember the hysteria of Joey Barton :oops:

Possibly Pedro Mendes? Portugese International, in his peak years and had been a regular in the EPL.

I seen Davis mentioned but a lot of our fans didn't realise just how good a player we were getting with him when he signed. Still can't believe we got him on loan back then. Thankfully Roy Hodgson is a manager with a horrendous philosophy and he wasn't playing him for Fulham at the time.

Defoe was exciting but we all knew he was slightly past his best.

Remember there being huge excitement when Rothen was signed. Wasn’t he our first signing in around 18 months at the time?

Kent surely, I was up all night waiting for the announcement

Wasn't there a 50 page thread on it and all?

Alves and Cardoso were so exciting as a partnership on paper.

I actually think Cardoso should still be on our books at this stage
Not for me Alves was a good defender but didn't have the pace for the game up here Cardoso was a bomb scare at everything no pace couldn't pass or control a ball defensive positioning all over the shop and got rolled to easily

Not for me Alves was a good defender but didn't have the pace for the game up here Cardoso was a bomb scare at everything no pace couldn't pass or control a ball defensive positioning all over the shop and got rolled to easily
I think you're confusing him with Russel Martin.

Cardoso looked pretty comfortable on the ball, was decent enough at 1v1 defending and had a really good attitude, his only glaring weakness is that he struggled massively with adapting to the physicality of Scottish football.

He's done quite well since returning to Portugal, wish it was while on loan from us rather than releasing him on a free.

I think you're confusing him with Russel Martin.

Cardoso looked pretty comfortable on the ball, was decent enough at 1v1 defending and had a really good attitude, his only glaring weakness is that he struggled massively with adapting to the physicality of Scottish football.

He's done quite well since returning to Portugal, wish it was while on loan from us rather than releasing him on a free.
I'm definitely not he had many weaknesses look at the goals conceded against Hibs at Ibrox when we were beaten 3-2 and the first minute of Hamilton away the month after he was as weak as they came unfortunately

Defoe ok with his age he's past his best but for his prestigious career he's a big name player and personality.

Possibly Pedro Mendes? Portugese International, in his peak years and had been a regular in the EPL.

I seen Davis mentioned but a lot of our fans didn't realise just how good a player we were getting with him when he signed. Still can't believe we got him on loan back then. Thankfully Roy Hodgson is a manager with a horrendous philosophy and he wasn't playing him for Fulham at the time.

Defoe was exciting but we all knew he was slightly past his best.
Mendes was my first thought.
Considered Defoe.
However, regardless of what we think of the player today, it has to be Ryan Kent.
£7m is a marquee signing.

Back