Who was our last top drawer marquee signing?

Joey Barton? (Just kidding)

His name escaped me for a minute, so I Googled 'Strange French Accent At Interview'.

This thread makes me feel old. Kent. Barton. Jelavic. Ffs. Marquee people. It was gazza.
Was just going to say this. Jesus we must have a right young crew on here if they think kent, jelavic, etc are marquee. Ronald De Boer was the last proper big name, internationally recognized top player to sign for us. After that, good players gave signed but nobody "marquee". Instant apologies for the " " shite

Ronald de Boer is the last one I remember being a massive shock.

Jelavic was a great player but he was a £4 million signing from Austria.

Signing a Barcelona player that won the Champions League with the Ajax 95 side is on a different level.

Prso on a Bosman.

Champions League finalist with Monaco the previous season having scored 7 goals on their route to final including in one game v Depor

That's a good shout. Although it isn't as immediately obvious as RDB, I remember thinking that Pierre-Fanfan, Rodriguez and Hemdani sounded like we were signing a world class central defence and defensive midfielder at the time around then as well. Imagine signing players that are first choice at PSG, Monaco and Marseille now. I think they were all painted as captains of their clubs in France prior to joining us.

Resigning Barry Ferguson in 2005. It’s easy to overlook our own but this was massive.

I would kill for a player of his attributes and affinity for our club right now. Fucking top drawer player and an undoubted Rangers captain.

And yes, he did %^*& it up.

Depends what level you want to call marquee.

For me it would be Ronald De Boer (I don’t count Frank as his signing was of more benefit to him than us).

Level below that would be Prso

Below that would be Jelavic, Arteta

Alves and Cardoso were so exciting as a partnership on paper.

I actually think Cardoso should still be on our books at this stage
Cardoso wasn't as good a defender as Katic is now. In fact his positioning and awareness struck fear in the heart. Just no!

Absolutely, a 7 million quid player from the European Champions is the very definition of a marquee signing.

He couldn’t get a game for the European champions for love nor money though so I wouldn’t say the team he came from weighs to heavily here

Gazza.

And the year before that Basile Boli and Brian Laudrup.

And if we’re all being honest, Laudrup was seen as the lesser of those two signings.

I still have nightmares thinking of Cardoso coming on against Celtic in the 3-2 defeat. Garbage.

Kent is the obvious answer.

He was finished with us after he sold 2 goals in the 3-2 defeat against them at Ibrox mate.

He also couldn't handle the physicality of Scottish football.

Very weak at defending set pieces too.

We've got 4 far better central defenders than him now.

Compared to Butcher, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Stevens, Steven, Numan etc nobody we've signed in the last 15 years, at least, is a genuine Top Drawer, Marquee signing.

Sadly.

To be honest, our last signing probably counts. Hagi is the son of a genuine legend of the game and was an absolute superstar in youth international tournaments.

His recent club form didn’t quite live up to that but you could say similar about Gazza and Laudrup when they came to us (for various reasons) and they were undoubtedly marquee.

I still have nightmares thinking of Cardoso coming on against Celtic in the 3-2 defeat. Garbage.

Kent is the obvious answer.

Kent is marquee in the sense of the value but I'd say a marquee signing you're talking about a proven player as well, a big name.

You need to go back to Pre 2012 for the last time we signed a proven top level player imo (who wasn't past his peak - like Defoe/Alves etc).

To be honest, our last signing probably counts. Hagi is the son of a genuine legend of the game and was an absolute superstar in youth international tournaments.

His recent club form didn’t quite live up to that but you could say similar about Gazza and Laudrup when they came to us (for various reasons) and they were undoubtedly marquee.

His dad would've been a genuine marquee signing mate, no question.

His son isn't in the same universe, never mind league, as a marquee signing.

His dad would've been a genuine marquee signing mate, no question.

His son isn't in the same universe, never mind league, as a marquee signing.

To be fair, we are counting Jelavic signing from a minor league and several superstars coming to us when injured and/or nearing retirement. All were exceptional in the Scottish game but I think a youth with global recognition and a decent shout of being a contender in the future is not so different.

Gazza.

And the year before that Basile Boli and Brian Laudrup.

And if we’re all being honest, Laudrup was seen as the lesser of those two signings.
I was hugely more excited about Boli at the time. Laudrup quickly became, and remains, my favourite ever Ranger.

To be fair, we are counting Jelavic signing from a minor league and several superstars coming to us when injured and/or nearing retirement. All were exceptional in the Scottish game but I think a youth with global recognition and a decent shout of being a contender in the future is not so different.

Potentially a very good signing mate, but the OP was about "Top drawer marquee."

He's nowhere near that status yet.

I think he maybe should have been kept on a little longer to see if he settled into it. I get why he was let go as we needed a cull but he is a young player who was rated a wee bit.

Alves was not actually that bad but the team was a shambles and he wasn't always fit.

Bruno Alves.

Clearly didn't work out, but was a current international for a very good side Portuguese side.

Back