Who was the South African boxer who trained with us ?

muttley

He was preparing for a title fight in Glasgow against some Tim, who he defeated, if I recall correctly.

It was indeed Baby Jake and he thankfully boxed the ears off Pat Clinton.

Sadly died at only 51 from pneumonia.

I was there that night. Chris Eubank topped the bill. Lots of bears supporting baby Jake against the Tim from Croy and then Eubank enters the ring to Tina belting out The Best. During the Eubank fight Baby Jake appeared ringside wearing a Rangers tammy which had been given to him by Richard Gough.

Baby jake ran right past me at queen street station , I couldn't believe how small and slight he seemed even under a hoodie . Great wee scrapper .

if i remember correctly clinton tried to blame rangers fans for that defeat.Because they didnt support him.:D

The press were full on having a go at us for throwing our support behind him and saying we were finding tedious links like Gough being raised in SA as an excuse for it.

Was delighted when he beat Clinton

Wee Jake beat both Clinton & Weir.
Look at Weir's record, had his first title fight in his 6th bout only 20 fights in total.
If you can find it check out Celtic Fists an excellent documentary about Scots, Irish and Welsh boxers.

Wee Jake beat both Clinton & Weir.
Look at Weir's record, had his first title fight in his 6th bout only 20 fights in total.
If you can find it check out Celtic Fists an excellent documentary about Scots, Irish and Welsh boxers.
Part 1

Will give this a watch later cheers

The wee man is a legend here in SA, sadly gone but a gentleman and very humble, one of a number who united the races in this country.

Just watched that clip. It seemed like Weir spent the entire time running away from the wee man. The clash of heads probably saved him from further humiliation.
Weir was totally out-fought.

We had him as Guest of Honour at the Johannesburg Rangers Supporters Club some years back. A great bower and a great wee guy. Had photos taken with him and he was never too busy for fans, always went out of his way to say hello. Sadly passed away in 2013 aged only 51, sadly missed in SA. he was voted #72 in the greatest 100 South Africans ever.

BTW I had to create a new account and I see it says I'm a new member, but been on FF for more than 15 years! What happened to the history?

Back