Who was your Rangers hero as a wean?

Robert fleck. Manly due to that late cup final goal against the sheep. My dad and I going mental in the stand. As a ten year old kid this is probably still the number one rangers memory that sticks out for me.
My dad is no longer with us, but that goal and the moments afterwards are forever remembered.
From that day in I was always fleck when we played at school.

Stayed in England from the age of 6 till just before I was 12 I didn't see them play but the names Baxter and Henderson were talked about with reverence in and around the area of Mansfield where we stayed.

First was Super Ally then Gazza... then Jorg Albertz and Barry Ferguson

I had some bad news health wise recently and mr Jorg Albert sent me a video message wishing me well!!

Was in tears with that one

We’ll say up to age 12, who was your Rangers hero?

And following on from something discussed in another thread, for those who have young kids now, who is their favourite player from the current squad? I’m keen to find out who the current hero is for younger bears.

When I was a kid? No brainer really, it was Super Ally (though it would later become Laudrup). Lucky to have to grown up when McCoist was doing his thing, the following gif more of less sums up the almost unimaginable Roy of the rovers type career he had.

MelodicCloseGallinule-size_restricted.gif
Dave Smith

Willie Henderson, Bud Johnston, John Greig.

They were followed by Colin Stein and of course Tom Forsyth (thanks for 1973 Tam)

Jim Baxter because he used to send the mentally challengeds players home early to their wife's
Colin Stein he was my next door neighbour

Cooper then Laudrup also remember Graeme Roberts being a big favourite of mine weirdly and this was prior to him making his debut as a conductor :)):))

Davie Cooper and Coisty. That changed when Souness arrived though.

The wee mans current is Defoe but Jelavic was his first.

As a 5 year old it Mark Walters but quickly went to McCoist when he left. We signed Gascoigne when I was around 13 or 14 and he probably pushed Super quite close.

Mark Hateley was my first favourite, followed by Laudrup and Gascoigne.

Willie Woodburn was my Pop’s hero when he was growing up.

It changed over time..

From 10/11 - 12 it was Ian Durrant.
After that it was mostly defenders as that’s largely where I played and I had the choices of Butcher, Gough, Brown.

I really liked Nigel Spackman - lots of skill but worked hard as well.

Ally McCoist always there as a heroic figure for watching Rangers in the 80s & 90s though!!

Back