Who were the three Victoria Cross winners who received their awards from King George at Ibrox in 1917

mdingwall

Administrator
I know one was Sam Frickleton of the New Zeland Expeditionary Force. Who were the others?

Royal Visit, 1917
Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
*Open in New Window
Royal Visit, 1917

King George V, alongside Lord Provost Sir Thomas Dunlop, passing female munitions workers at Ibrox Park during a royal visit to Glasgow in September 1917.
Ibrox Park, with its capacity to hold 80,000 spectators, was chosen as a suitable venue for an open air public investiture by the monarch, the first time this had happened in Scotland since the Union of the Crowns in 1603. The stadium was packed with enthusiastic crowds, including an estimated 5,000 girls from munitions works.
Several knighthoods were conferred on local dignitaries. War medals were pinned on soldiers who had survived their feats of gallantry, with relatives collecting awards on behalf of those who had not. The highlight was the presentation of the Victoria Cross to three soldiers, one of whom appeared in an invalid chair.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC f923.1 GEO/ANN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning

Private McIntosh photo hangs in his hometown Lodge

Last edited:
George McIntosh VC
He was 20 years old, and a private in the 1/6th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place at the Battle of Passchendaele for which he was awarded the VC.
On 31 July 1917 at Ypres, Belgium, during the consolidation of a position, the company came under machine-gun fire at close range and Private Mclntosh immediately rushed forward under heavy fire and reaching the emplacement, threw a Mills grenade into it, killing two of the enemy and wounding a third. Subsequently entering the dug-out he found two light machine-guns which he carried back with him. His quick grasp of the situation and the rapidity with which he acted undoubtedly saved many of his comrades and enabled the consolidation to proceed unhindered by machine-gun fire.
George McIntosh was born in Buckie, Banffshire. McIntosh went on to join the Royal Air Force and served in World War II, and during 1942 was the senior NCO with No 1 squadron. He later achieved the rank of Flight Sergeant.
His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland.
A member of Lodge Gordon's 589

Only one stadium in Glasgow could hold this very important event.

The other with similar capacity would not have been interested.

Reactions: ao2
I’m collating and organising a load of Rangers-related photos and had the image in your first post but no context for it. Sitting on around 4,000 so far.

There appear to have been a few investiture and/or Royal visits over the years. Once I get some sort of order to my images and work out how to post pictures, I’ll look for some guidances on Why & When for what I have.

George McIntosh VC
He was 20 years old, and a private in the 1/6th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place at the Battle of Passchendaele for which he was awarded the VC.
On 31 July 1917 at Ypres, Belgium, during the consolidation of a position, the company came under machine-gun fire at close range and Private Mclntosh immediately rushed forward under heavy fire and reaching the emplacement, threw a Mills grenade into it, killing two of the enemy and wounding a third. Subsequently entering the dug-out he found two light machine-guns which he carried back with him. His quick grasp of the situation and the rapidity with which he acted undoubtedly saved many of his comrades and enabled the consolidation to proceed unhindered by machine-gun fire.
George McIntosh was born in Buckie, Banffshire. McIntosh went on to join the Royal Air Force and served in World War II, and during 1942 was the senior NCO with No 1 squadron. He later achieved the rank of Flight Sergeant.
His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland.
A member of Lodge Gordon's 589
My Great Uncle was killed 7 days before the 31st at Verlorenhoek, four miles east of Ypres. He led troops over the top only to receive a bullet in the head. Aged 42 he was one of thousands paving the way for the attack on Passchendaele.

Sam Frickleton did some amount of travelling in the days before air travel.

Born and brought up in Slamannan, moves to New Zealand where he joins up, back to Europe to fight then Ibrox to get his VC. That's some circle for the early 20th century.

Back