Who would you sell and why?

Only in Summer:

Morelos
Tav
Borna
Aribo

These players because some are at their maximum value and we should sell - mainly Aribo.

We have a ready made replacement for Tav and this is our last chance to really cash in.

Morelos and Borna are starting to go backwards, best to cash in whilst value is still there.

Funds from these players will help balance the books and allow investment in squad.

Kent needs to sign new contract otherwise we may have to sell him when value is still there.

I foresee a big overhaul in the summer

Goldson has been gash for weeks. Getting £2m in Jan as opposed to zilch in the summer is a no brainier.

He was probably our best player last night TBH and was perfectly sound against Prague, doing this while also playing a part in guiding an inexperienced CB through games " gash for weeks" indeed.

He is a player who would shift for about 10 million plus in normal circumstance and would cost a small fortune to replace, a small fortune we don't have at the moment, so where the replacement for him is coming from christ knows.

He is the main communicator in our defense and we are on our arse for CB options, his replacement would do well to simply walk into his role and it be a seamless transition.

We are also going to do this while heavily involved in a title race, having already changed manager as it is, a title which could see us actually earn the small fortune needed to then suitably replace hm.

Aye "no brainer" mate, the 2 million and his wages is worth next to f*ck all to us if we don't win the league, we should try and get a few 100k for Arfield, Davis, McGregor and Balogun while we are at it, f*ck it

I think by next August virtually the entire starting XI last night will be gone

McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Morelos and Kent. Possibly Hagi.

Hagi is the one I can't decide on. I can see Gio sticking him as the 10 when Aribo goes and putting pure pace around him on the wings and up front, but if we're going to persist with playing him right wing then we may as cash in because he's completely unsuited to that role.

Last edited:
He was probably our best player last night TBH and was perfectly sound against Prague, doing this while also playing a part in guiding an inexperienced CB through games " gash for weeks" indeed.

He is a player who would shift for about 10 million plus in normal circumstance and would cost a small fortune to replace, a small fortune we don't have at the moment, so where the replacement for him is coming from christ knows.

He is the main communicator in our defense and we are on our arse for CB options, his replacement would do well to simply walk into his role and it be a seamless transition.

We are also going to do this while heavily involved in a title race, which could see us actually earn the small fortune needed to then to suitably replace him,

Aye "no brainer" mate, the 2 million and his wages is worth next to f*ck all to us if we don't win the league.
He was our best defensive player last night by a country mile. Easily our motm IMO

If aribo doesn’t get a new contract then he is a must sell, Need to learn from the Goldson scenario
If Aribo doesn’t get offered a new contract it’s a massive failure by the board tbh.
If he’s offered new terms and doesn’t sign then yes that’s a different ball game altogether

Apart from all the times he gave the ball away. To suggest he was our top performer is ludicrous.

I said, probably, I accept a case could be made for Aribo, who also gave the ball away, and an extreme case Kent for his work to win the penalty, albeit he also gave the ball away.

Goldson, did have a few slack passes, not a great shock TBH as we attempt to bed in a new manager as shown by our use of the ball basically 1-11, he also had an unreal clearance, was untroubled at corners and bitched Porteous in that department all night, and booking aside gave Nisbet and Boyle nothing.

So aye, :)):)):)):))

Apart from all the times he gave the ball away. To suggest he was our top performer is ludicrous.
Yeah it's a shame he never had a 100% passing accuracy rate but he limited Boyle and Nisbet to pretty much fcuk all and prevented a certain goal with an interception. But I get it, he's public enemy number 1.

Morelos - overstayed by at least a season, value dropping every game he plays.
Barisic - as above, we should've cashed in on him during the summer.
Kamara - would fetch us a good few quid and he's fairly repleacable.

Morelos, Hagi for certain, decent value there that can be reinvested. Barisic I would also move on if a reasonable offer is made.

I know very few want to think about it, and every thread ends up with no-one at all being sold ever, but....based on form, new manager, contract length, role and potential income how do you rate them?

1. Goldson - £2m....wants to go anyway, and isn't signing extension. Helander back in January. Just makes sense.
2. Barisic - now a tough one as value peak is waaay past now but still a well thought of player. Lost his place for Croatia and not really doing much in new 4-2-3-1.....might £6m tempt us?
3. Kent - £15m is the rumour and we'd be crazy not to. Wonderful on his day but absolutely no game sense or tactical nouse.
4. Alfredo - doubt he will ever really learn to knuckle down.....£10m and he's away. Also doesn't seem a Gio player....he won't be indulged any more.

I'd try and keep Hagi, Kamara and Patterson....

What do we think?

1. Goldson - I'll happily let him run out his contract providing his form stays same as it has been under Gio. I just think the risk of letting another CB go at this moment, when 1st place is a must, is too big a risk. Helander back in offloads Balogun who can't play 2 games in a row very often.

2. Probably right in that he's not as valuable as he once was. I do wonder what value would entice club to sell. You might not be far off. £6-8m maybe? I'd lean more towards the £8 in a Jan window. Leaves us with one recognised left back plus Aribo which isn't ideal. (6-8m could get us a replacement but carries risk and Doig just signed long contract extension) - unless Middleton can be racalled and play there but I doubt it

3. £20m for me to lose him in January. £15m+ in the summer is fair maybe considering 2 years left on contract at that point. Hoping he actually signs an extension tbh. I really rate him,

4. Right this second, I think i'd bite at £10m, yea. I'm hoping for a wee resurgence under Gio but tbh. But a bid of that value would now tempt me.

5. Hagi - i'd consider £15m + for him. Not because I don't rate him, I think he's an outstanding talent. Inconsistent, but outstanding at his best. I just wonder where he will play more regularyl for us, because longer term I can see him fighting out the AM spot with Aribo (and Arfield as a squad player). So it's probably him or Aribo, unless he drops Aribo back into CM (i'd be good with that too).

I don't particularly want to lose Aribo or Hagi tbh, but I know it's likely we lose one at some stage at least. With Aribos contract running out summer 2023, it would suggest that the next 2 transfer windows is the time to do it unless he also signs extension (i feel his ambitions will lie elsewhere though)

6. Roofe - £8m+. Again, not taht I don't like him, he has his uses, and perhaps under utilised at times? But a bid of over £8m would tempt or mroe than tempt me to sell. As long as there is a replacement

All this 'Goldson sell for £2m' he ain't going anywhere until the summer as he can then pocket the £2m!

If it was you would you move if you could hold on for 6 months (or sign a pre-contract)?

Best we can hope for is a club desperate for a center half and will pay up his contract and pay something for him but I fear he playing it out!

No way I'd change the squad in winter window. As is till the summer unless it's silly money and we have a like for like lined up. It's too risky imo.

I think the sensible option is to hold on to the vast majority, and try to build on top of that.
If Aribo attracts enough interest, then I’d let him go. I love the big man, but you can only sell those who interest buyers, and he seems to be on a few radars.

Hagi and Kent both are at the stage in their careers where it's make or break and if it breaks I don't want us to lose out on their peak transfer fees.
I also believe both could be replaced. Kent especially. He is an exciting player but flatters to deceive. I think the Dutch coaches will be thinking the same.

We can sell most players but selling Goldson would be a massive mistake, sod trying to get a new CH up to speed in the second part of the league.

If someone goes they go, but I hope we try and keep most and sell the ones we wont use.

Nobody in January and certainly not Goldson.

Neither Helander or Balogun are physically reliable and there's absolutely no guarantee they'll stay fit until the end of the season, once they return from injury.

Both Robertson and Wilson reiterated at the AGM that we don't need to sell anyone mid season, so let's not.

We keep this squad together and we win the league by at least 10 points.
Then we can sell and strengthen further.

I still think he will try & bring another CD in, albeit Simpson is the obvious loser there.

I wouldn’t rule out them targeting a Dutch style wide right player. More pace & directness than Hagi ? We aren’t effective in our transitions.

People suggesting selling Kent or Patterson, seriously. No chance. We all know what Kent’s like when he’s on it. We just have to get him back to his best, there are glimpses there. No way for NP. We develop him and play him more, then further down the line, the fee will be higher for him. He’s going to be an EPL in the future, there’s no doubt about it. There is no rush to get rid of him.

Patterson will break the Scottish transfer record if we handle him properly, development wise & contractually.

Agree on all

Alfie , Goldson , and Tav for sure.

Could maybe get closer to the £20m for Kent

Goldson is the only main stay of our central defence. The only one there week after week.

Be madness to sell him now given how unlikely it would be to get a suitable replacement in and up to speed.
This x 1000 I don’t understand the thinking of people who want rid in January
Who do they think is going to find in for the same (ish) money that we can sell him for and be as good as him
Goldson is a good defender

If Gio thinks he can swap Goldson out for a better CH and first team starter for similar money, netting that off while increasing squad value by an improved contractual position of assets then it makes absolute sense to do so!

I think Gio will undoubtedly strengthen in the CH areas come January which could see us accept a Goldson offer of £2m+

We can’t sell Tavernier, Hagi, Kemar Roofe or Bassey. B-D

In all seriousness the players I’d be willing to let go probably aren’t going to pick us up much of a fee. If anything it would take a few quid off the wage bill.

Guys like Brandon Barker and Firth are probably costing the club about £30k a month to sit in the stands.

As much as I love morelos I think now if we get £10m for him let him go. We could get a capable replacement for half that and I do think sakala could step up

I know very few want to think about it, and every thread ends up with no-one at all being sold ever, but....based on form, new manager, contract length, role and potential income how do you rate them?

1. Goldson - £2m....wants to go anyway, and isn't signing extension. Helander back in January. Just makes sense.
2. Barisic - now a tough one as value peak is waaay past now but still a well thought of player. Lost his place for Croatia and not really doing much in new 4-2-3-1.....might £6m tempt us?
3. Kent - £15m is the rumour and we'd be crazy not to. Wonderful on his day but absolutely no game sense or tactical nouse.
4. Alfredo - doubt he will ever really learn to knuckle down.....£10m and he's away. Also doesn't seem a Gio player....he won't be indulged any more.

I'd try and keep Hagi, Kamara and Patterson....

What do we think?
Doesn’t seem to be a Gio player

Started all 3 matches for Gio

:)):)):)):))

If Aribo doesn’t get offered a new contract it’s a massive failure by the board tbh.
If he’s offered new terms and doesn’t sign then yes that’s a different ball game altogether
If he signs a new deal he’s another one on about 30k a week, we need to start trading players when we can get the most value for them. Extending every players deal is just as unsustainable as not selling players

I have worries Barisic is past his best. Looks well short of pace now. No desire to go past a man. Thats before GVB came as well. So if there is scope to sell him and replace id consider that.

Hagi - good player, not quite sure where he is best played. If we get good money id sell and reinvest in wide right hand side attacker.

Morelos, he's been bang average for most of this season so far and a fair lot of last season.

Barisic, for pretty much the same reason but both need replaced.

Hagi for me I know his numbers are good but I don't think the numbers reflect his actual performances during games. Yeah he can create something out of nothing at times but there's genuinely no consistency with him guess that's why he's probably with us anyway. He doesn't suit the winger role and then if we are looking to play an attacking 10 then for me Aribo is a far better option.

Borna possibly but certainly wouldn't be blowing say £5m on Josh Doig who was utter dung again last night against us and instead going with Bassey as first choice left back.

We have a massive quality squad for Scotland, the problem is its not balanced esp with the new system.

For me any player could go in January as long as the price is right and the manager gets to reinvest some of it.

I'd sell Morelos, I'm getting fed up with him being unable to do the basics and he isn't scoring goals to make up for that now.

How many times does he come short from a throw in only for him to hit the ball out the park when he's trying to play it back to the player taking the throw?

His link up play has been rotten as well recently and 9 times out of 10 he passes it straight to an opposition player.

Goldson I think will sign a pre-contract in January with a team down south.

I like Kent and he gets too much of a hard time on here in my opinion but if we were to get a £15m bid I think we would be daft not to take it and strengthen the squad.
Apart from the 2 that’s got us into the knockout stages of europa league

Morelos, he's been really poor this season for both managers, not just that but he's always missed sitters but this season it seems worse than ever. I've said this a million times but van Vossen's miss should be consigned to the dustbin with the sitters morelos has had.

Doubt we'd get decent money now.
He’s played 3 games under Gio ffs

Gerrard changed his style this season and hasn’t been the shadow of what he can be.

Gio changed that against Prague and it was like watching the old Morelos for 70 minutes.

He was our best defensive player last night by a country mile. Easily our motm IMO

We must've been watching a different game. Goldson was brutal at times. Solid in the air, but then he's up against Nisbet who is hardly 6 ft 5. Had one unbelievable goal line clearance (still no idea how he managed it!), but other than that he kept giving the ball away really cheaply in dangerous areas and got roasted a couple of times by their players.

Think Patterson might go. He must be getting bored with not getting a game and we would get a good price for essentially a back up player.

Turning thread on its head a bit but only two players we shouldn’t entertain any offers for are Kent and Aribo . Selling either or god forbid both would lead to us not winning the title

Most other players can leave but only at the right price

Alfie can leave and we should take whatever we can get

Goldson i'd keep unless we have a ready made replacement. Even if it means going for nothing in the summer - that would be worth it if Goldson helped us get the CL spot.

I'd consider selling:
- McCrorie: unless we're going to play him next season we're only hindering his development.
- Simpson: on what i've seen he's not good enough. We would, however, need to bring Katic back or bring another defender in.
- Lundstram: we could get decent money for him from the Championship, and I just don't see him fitting in to Gio's plans.

The problem is who do you get for £2 million that will do as good a job as Goldson and hit the ground running. We have played this terribly but it looks like we are going to lose a lot of money on him in the summer.

Should have been a straightforward conversation with him at the start of the season - sign a contract or we will make you available for transfer.

Back