Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Kamara

Votes: 195 34.6%
  • Aribo

Votes: 442 78.4%
  • Arfield

Votes: 271 48.0%

• Total voters
On current form, Kamara is lowest in the pecking order.

I'd like to see Davis, Doc and Aribo tried but I am aware that leaving out Jack is risky.

Arfield is surely now one of the two behind the striker.

I think at present Arfield starts as an inside forward in the front 3. He plays better there (even if he disagrees himself). If Kent returned or we got a new striker/inside forward I really don’t know what I would see happening.

Davis and Aribo are the first choices for the midfield 3. The other position is between Kamara and Jack. I’ve previously been very critical of Jack trying to play further forward but i’ve actually been impressed with him so far. Nonetheless I think Kamara is a more complete midfielder so went for him. Close call though.

Doubt we'll be playing 2 wingers mate.

More likely 2 narrow attackers behind the striker and Arfield will be one of them.

Davis, Jack and Aribo the mid 3 for me.

Bit strange so many folk putting Arfield in their midfield 3.

This, I wouldn't consider Arfield for the middle, we play better with Jack Davis and Aribo. Arfield is to good a player not to play and should be off the front.

Taking a wingers position?

We don't really play with wingers as such, more inside forwards. Even Jones, who is, or rather was an out and out winger at Killie is playing inside allowing the width to come from the fullback. Arfield is our most capable player in the inside forward role. A proper goal threat, whereas this is restricted playing in the midfield 3 where he has to be more disciplined and have a greater role in the defensive side of the game.

Doubt we'll be playing 2 wingers mate.

More likely 2 narrow attackers behind the striker
and Arfield will be one of them.

Davis, Jack and Aribo the mid 3 for me.

Bit strange so many folk putting Arfield in their midfield 3.

Really baffles me how some people still haven't picked up on this yet.

Arfield started in the midfield 3 today but as you say, in competitive games he'll be one of the two behind the striker.

Tbf though he's played in the midfield 3 the last two games and Arfield himself actually prefers playing in the middle of the pitch.

So god knows what the plans are when the team settles down.

He actually played both positions on Thursday. Initially played in the advanced role after coming on for Hastie and then moved back in to midfield once Docherty came off for McPake.

He is comfortable playing either role. He is MILES more effective playing further forward.

When did that happen?

It was Kent and Arfield behind the striker, with Davis, Kamara and Jack in midfield.

Candeias was dropped after March.

If I remember rightly, Arfield was only pushed forward when Kent was suspended.

Against Motherwell and Hearts it was Candeias and Arfield behind the striker.

Then Kent came back in for the Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic.

Against Celtic at the piggery, it was a 4-3-3 with Kent and Candeias.

If I remember rightly, Arfield was only pushed forward when Kent was suspended.

Against Motherwell and Hearts it was Candeias and Arfield behind the striker.

Then Kent came back in for the Aberdeen, Hibs and Celtic.

Against Celtic at the piggery, it was a 4-3-3 with Kent and Candeias.

Sounds about right mate.

I knew we changed the formation after the piggery defeat, with Arfield pushing further forward.

Regardless of a couple of games, the three players from last season that would be my first three names on the team sheet are Tav, Goldson and Kamara.

Jack Davis and Aribo for me.
Arfield as part of our front three.
Docherty improved but not quite enough for me.
Kamara not on last season’s game but hopefully gets it back soon.

Going on wat I watched today was wen Davis left the field Katic lost his out ball and composure.
When Arfield left the field it wasn’t as fluid going forward and less work rate in the middle of the park.
When Aribo came on instantly saw his class,power and skills.
So middle 3 would be Aribo,Arfield n Davis.

What else I realised today is left back, right and left forwards position are up for grabs.
Barisic doesn’t offer anything special to me felt Halliday has been more effective so far.
Jones holding onto the ball to long then not playing the right pass.
Ojo does the same over n over so defenders will just show him down the outside and was very lack lustre today.

Yes it’s early but feel it was evident which positions are anybody’s.

Last edited:
On current form, Kamara is lowest in the pecking order.

I'd like to see Davis, Doc and Aribo tried but I am aware that leaving out Jack is risky.

Arfield is surely now one of the two behind the striker.

Kamara is one of our best midfielders and If he's fit he will play. Finished off last season really well and had fantastic reviews on International duty and he's effectively came back with little rest time he was a bit off today but he will be a first pick for us and an integral part of our midfield he gives us something different with his breaking up of play and picking passes and starting attacks.

Davis dictating play, Kamara breaking up things and starting attacks, with Aribo the creative driving force in the attacking midfield role. The three of them together for me is an exciting prospect.

Kamara is one of our best midfielders and If he's fit he will play. Finished off last season really well and had fantastic reviews on International duty and he's effectively came back with little rest time he was a bit off today but he will be a first pick for us and an integral part of our midfield he gives us something different with his breaking up of play and picking passes and starting attacks.

I think Kamara is a great player and was my MOTM against the mutants in May.

He’s been off the pace in every game he has played so far this season though.

I’d revert back to the system last year, it made a big difference domestically and play Davis, Kamara Arfield Aribo.

I think Kamara is a great player and was my MOTM against the mutants in May.

He’s been off the pace in every game he has played so far this season though.

We are effectively still in pre season other than today he's looked fine to me Gerrard rates him highly and I think he's a stick on to play in the majority of our games this season.

There's a chance Kent will return, if not Jones takes that position, then there's hastie followed by ojo on the right, candiaes will look to be replaced as stated by Gerrard, we also have Murphy in the background as well. That's quite a few wingers that would be missing out if we played this formation that's why I wouldn't assume that this is our preferred formation.
I don't think we'll be stuck to a rigid formation for the season, we will set up depending on who we face and their style of play.

I do expect to see a lot of the 4321 this season as we were so strong towards the end of last season playing this way. Ojo, Stewart or Hastie may fill the roll Kent played towards the end of the season and in the last Old Firm where he played behind Defoe alongside Arfield.

I do agree that when playing with wingers Arfield is more than capable of taking one of the 3 midfield rolls however I think we see the best out of Arfield and the team when he plays in the more advanced roll.

Regardless it's great that we now have a squad which allows us to play a variety of formations and line ups.

Arfield should be our inside left option if Kent doesn’t return. Ojo right. My preferred cm 3 would be: Kamara, Davis, Aribo but I’d Ada bit more physicality in certain games especially away from home. Just a delight to have these discussions.

Front 6 for me really does excite me now

Team A
.............Davis....Kamara....Aribo
...........................Arfield
Ojo....................Defoe

Team B
............Docherty...Jack....McPake
................. Stewart
Jones.............Alfie

Davis dictating play, Kamara breaking up things and starting attacks, with Aribo the creative driving force in the attacking midfield role. The three of them together for me is an exciting prospect.

I don’t agree & I don’t think Gerrard will agree either mate.
How many goals does Glen have ? How many assists ?
Whatever stats people put on here I think they will show Jacks are better.
Glen has 1 goal over 70+ games for Dundee & Rangers combined. And two assists for Rangers maybe ?

I'm a big Kamara fan but I'd go as far to say he changed the game in Blackburn's favour today - his passing was way off and he continually got caught by their press which started to get them a foothold in the game.

I really rate him and was quite surprised at how poor he was today.

We are effectively still in pre season other than today he's looked fine to me Gerrard rates him highly and I think he's a stick on to play in the majority of our games this season.

He's been pretty ropey in a variety of games and looks like a player who doesn't have the confidence to go with his ability-he's falling down the pecking order at a rate of knots though I do believe SG will work hard to get the best out of him.

I'm a big Kamara fan but I'd go as far to say he changed the game in Blackburn's favour today - his passing was way off and he continually got caught by their press which started to get them a foothold in the game.

I really rate him and was quite surprised at how poor he was today.

What did you think of him on Thursday Albert ?

Well behind IMO mate, looks like the competition for places has him rattled a wee bit, where the others have risen to the challenge.

Unfortunately I think this boy has a mental fragility about him.
When things start to go against him he just loses it mentally eg Aberdeen 2.0 defeat & Thursday night.

Funny :D:D

He wasn’t good the other night Albert.
I'm a dreadful man.

I'm slightly concerned there's a little bit of hand-holding going on with him and Davis, he always plays better with Davis behind him and the comfort of how good he is in possession. When it's Kamara that has to go deeper and take the ball I think he lacks the confidence to start attacks/direct the play.

In the big games...
Davis and Aribo are nailed on starters for me.
Arfield pretty much guaranteed to be in the starting line up also.
Morelos if here will lead the line.
Ojo I think will be in to.

So there's one slot for the rest to fight over outside of the defence for me.

I'm a dreadful man.

I'm slightly concerned there's a little bit of hand-holding going on with him and Davis, he always plays better with Davis behind him and the comfort of how good he is in possession. When it's Kamara that has to go deeper and take the ball I think he lacks the confidence to start attacks/direct the play.

I agree mate, to me there’s a real lack of confidence & willingness to try the killer passes.

I actually think he's better when you take the shackles off him anyway and let him go forward.

He was £50K from Dundee and is well worth his place in the squad. Will play a big part this season.

I was happy at Glen’s signing, but did think a lot of us went a bit OTT about him.
I still think as you say he can play a really important role for us over the season, but can’t deny my concerns about him.

I don’t agree & I don’t think Gerrard will agree either mate.
How many goals does Glen have ? How many assists ?
Whatever stats people put on here I think they will show Jacks are better.
Glen has 1 goal over 70+ games for Dundee & Rangers combined. And two assists for Rangers maybe ?

He has contributed in an attacking sense played a killer pass up at Tynecastle for one of our goals, his skill and pass that contributed towards Arfield's goal v them rings a bell although he's not that type of player though tbf.

I think his reading of the game and intercepting danger is his biggest asset he is always a step ahead of the play and has a talent of seeing things before anyone else then you have his ball winning skills and starting attacks and he is a pretty good passer of the ball. That's night and day above Jack for example who I do like btw and he's a massive favourite on here. Kamara is an integral and massive asset for us and he shouldn't be underestimated.

He has contributed in an attacking sense played a killer pass up at Tynecastle for one of our goals, his skill and pass that contributed towards Arfield's goal v them rings a bell although he's not that type of player though tbf.

I think his reading of the game and intercepting danger is his biggest asset he is always a step ahead of the play and has a talent of seeing things before anyone else then you have his ball winning skills and starting attacks and he is a pretty good passer of the ball. That's night and day above Jack for example who I do like btw and he's a massive favourite on here. Kamara is an integral and massive asset for us and he shouldn't be underestimated.

You’ve just named his two assists.

He’s a clever footballer mate, but I just don’t think Gerrard would ever play him before Jack in a big match.

I know I wouldn’t. But footballs all about opinions.

Back