Why arent we playing next weekend?

Gazza 8

Official Ticketer
Been so focused on getting through Pittodrie , Fir Park & Easter Rd I've only just noticed we have a free weekend.

What have I missed?

Common sense would dictate bring forward a midweek fixture with the SC delay but there is none of that in Scottish football.

So much for there being no gaps in the schedule.

You would think they could now schedule in games try n get the league finished early? Or is that too much of a sensible idea?
I think they have put in some games, but have tried to use it for teams who are behind to catch up, rather than moving one of our games forward when we’re on schedule and our remaining games until the split already have dates.

Looks like Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell also spare. I think we have Hamilton coming up and we’ve just played both the other two.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but, of the 4 teams not playing next weekend, Rangers, Motherwell, Ross County and Hamilton, we’ve played all bar Hamilton 3 times. We’re due to play them as part of a full card at the start of February.
Correct

The SFA should take the hit and pay for the lower leagues teams to get covid tests and get the Scottish Cup back up and running.

There’s no one for us to play that isn’t already playing.
Exactly.

Look at the table. We are one of only 2 clubs who have played 25 games. Everyone else has at least 1 game in hand. That's why the 4 rearranged games have been scheduled in.

Means we can put everything into this Hibs game on Wed - treat it like a crunch Euro game. 3 points there and we’ll all have a lovely weekend i‘m sure!

Would obviously prefer a game but allows the players to have some time with their families, rest/shake off any knocks and so work on the training pitch.

I'm in two minds about it, would be ideal if we could bring a league game forward but on the other hand, it could be a free weekend allowing us some time for recovery and get some injured players back.

So when will the postponed Scottish Cup card be fit in? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to pick an entire Feb weekend card and move it up to next weekend, freeing up that Feb slot to play the SC?

Anyone know what it looks like for us if we were to get to the finals of both the SC and the Europa? Would we have a fixture pile up?

Correct me if I’m wrong here but, of the 4 teams not playing next weekend, Rangers, Motherwell, Ross County and Hamilton, we’ve played all bar Hamilton 3 times. We’re due to play them as part of a full card at the start of February.
That's precisely it. Accies are on 7/2 so would only move the 'free' weekend back by a week.

So when will the postponed Scottish Cup card be fit in? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to pick an entire Feb weekend card and move it up to next weekend, freeing up that Feb slot to play the SC?

Anyone know what it looks like for us if we were to get to the finals of both the SC and the Europa? Would we have a fixture pile up?
It depends how long the SC is postponed for I guess.

At least with replays being scrapped in this year's SC we won't have any of those to potentially fit in.

I think it suits us. Hibs this midweek, next game St Johnstone a week later. It’s only a normal break between games and not 2 per week.

Even if there was a team to play, chances are it would be due to be televised, so wouldn't be moved even if both teams agreed.

Much as I enjoy slating the football authorities they have actually been reasonably sensible here in arranging outstanding games for the free weekend.

Bringing one of our games forward would just leave us with a free weekend later when everyone else would be playing their scheduled fixtures.

Assuming that they plan on playing the Scottish Cup at some point then the alternative would be to switch an entire weeks fixtures with the Scottish Cup date. As teams are, however, already behind schedule this (playing outstanding fixtures this weekend) seems the sensible option - much as its a pain for us having no game.

I have no idea who we play on the Sunday after our euro games but shifting one of those games to next week might of been an idea. Gives us a chance to rest after what could be a tiresome game.

With the threat of covid getting worse and the threat of the season being curtailed, why aren’t they bringing games forward?!

Especially so if they are planning on playing the Scottish cup later down the line? Fixture congestion later can be avoided.

Tell me, are Celtic at least playing one of their games in hand?

Gives SG chance go home Wednesday night , spend time with his kids and missus - more he can do that , more chance we have of keeping longer ?

With the threat of covid getting worse and the threat of the season being curtailed, why aren’t they bringing games forward?!

Especially so if they are planning on playing the Scottish cup later down the line? Fixture congestion later can be avoided.

Tell me, are Celtic at least playing one of their games in hand?
As has been said already, yes they are.

Honestly there is nothing to get worked up about. 8 teams are getting their outstanding games played.

Back