Why cant scotland produce a world class player?

Potnbear

I blame the Scottish system, there's no think tank, no brains to drag the game forward. 3rd world countries used to be laughed at, now they laugh at us. No plan from grass roots to senior. There's very few school teams now, nothing is promoted here, only ridiculed by bigoted journos and corrupt politicians. We are well over the edge now

TheLeatherKagool

The refereeing at grass-roots level has absolutely no bearing on the production of natural talent or world class players! What a load of shite!

Superrangers

I think it has something to do with such a small league set-up. We used to produce world class players before we reduced our top league to just 10 teams. Also, our young players do not playing against top young players outside Scotland enough. Wales, a much smaller country, can produce world class players. However, in football terms Wales is really part of England. Welsh youth players are regularly coming up against top talent from Chelsea, Man Utd etc.
How much of the Welsh thing is down to their clubs being in the English structure?

Alex

Robertson is tremendous, but not world class, not a chance.

The argument that there are few better left backs playing, doesn’t automatically make him world class.

Thinking of genuine world class full backs of yesteryear, Maldini, Brehme, Lahm , Carlos etc, Robertson is a level below that.
I’d say the players you mention are the level above world class.

World class, I’d say is the ability to perform well at the highest level - something Robertson has demonstrated for 2 years now.

Semantics :D

Jimmy the Gent

I’d say the players you mention are the level above world class.

World class, I’d say is the ability to perform well at the highest level - something Robertson has demonstrated for 2 years now.

Semantics :D
There’s no level above world class, the absolute highest echelons of the game are defined as world class.

Robertson isn’t at that level yet, in my opinion obviously, he’s a tremendous player but I doubt he will be remembered and revered like the players I have previously mentioned.

Kev81

I think it’s mostly to do our mentality, our league being as unique as it is and the fact most of our teams aren’t willing to change from the hammer thrower style. You can see by looking at barisic’s face that he is struggling to come to terms with the way our game is played whilst clearly being a player who has genuine talent. And I think that’s what hampers players of genuine quality, other social aspects are also to blame but I won’t get into that.

borderbear

It’s all about how we define world class regarding Robertson.
Would he be the left back in a world eleven. Probably not.
Is he good enough to be first choice left back in any team in the world. Probably.

dt17

1. Our culture here. Basically as soon as kids hit about 14/15 they're out boozing.
2. The weather doesn't help, especially nowadays when everyone will just stay in to play their Playstation's / XBOX's.
3. The pro youth setup is rubbish. Hated it.
4. Facilities in this country are awful. Need more places like Toryglen.

It is fascinating that countries like Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium etc can all produce top players in a fairly regular fashion whereas we're lucky if we get one every decade.

Re: Robertson. I think he's a brilliant player for Liverpool. But I don't think he'd shine as much in another team / another system / without Klopp.

trueblue77

We've never grasped or believed in the concept of mastering technique at the expense of victory. This carries on right the way through to senior level.

We had much better players up til the 90's but I think that was more down to the amount of working class boys playing the game on the streets. A sign of the times. As a nation our culture and mentality is an embarrassment.

Hairybear

Football should be free to play for all kids. In the past great players didn't have to pay money to get a game. You only needed a ball and jackets for goal posts. Now kids get taken by cars, to training and playing for organised clubs, that have expensive running costs. In the past, schools had teams, as did BB's, churches and streets even had teams. Practice makes perfect and if you are not out playing you aren't going to a world class player. Anybody fancy a 10-21 er?;)

TNT

For my tuppence worth..........The SPFL doesn't help.

There's last season, 7 games against Kilmarnock!

It stifles talent. It's easier to put a team out to stop another than to create. Also, we need meaningless games so coaches can say to young kids "away you go out and enjoy yourself" as there's not much riding on it.

Also, the SFA have a lot to answer for. They've had think tanks, Mark Wotte, Brian McClair.........Jim Fleeting...............and we still end up with patching up the international set-up which hasn't shown any rewards for 21 years.

I went into some website a while back. Think it was the SFA. It had coaching drills............honestly, just looking at them would have bored me to tears.

It's been updated since then. Videos now rather than cartoons.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/performance/high-performance-resources/

Featuring "skills" coach Joe McBride and Sports Scientist Seamus McCafferty among others.

Bearnecessities

Because our talents lie in the drugs and alcohol industry, that’s where Scottish people thrive.

Part of which is down to the absolute lack of investment in grass roots football or willingness. Even if you try get a kick about down the local park when it’s empty the police will come move you and kids are forced to pay 50/60 quid for a pitch which some parents just can’t afford every couple of days unfortunately.

BlooBlood

Such an irrelevant argument you’re making
I think the issue is that nobody really knows what “world class” means.

In my opinion Andy Robertson is the best left back in the world. For me that makes him world class.

If you are comparing him with left backs of the past he’s certainly not going to be the best ever. So in some people’s eyes that might mean he isn’t world class.

He would be first choice left back in any team in the world.

Camby_bear72

The whole school curriculum doesn't help, at school we only played football for PE as a treat instead it was shite like indoor hockey or basketball? Football is the most popular sport in the world and instead we are running about playing hockey?

Get the kids playing football more in schools at an early age that would help massively.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
It is attitude too....under Labour and now SNP Scotland has become a nation of moaning, chip on shoulder, pessimistic, subsidy junkies. Do we really produce kids in any walk of life that reach for the stars and believe they can achieve anything? So there is "this is pish, I'm pish, coaching is pish, I can't be arsed cleaning my own strip, I can't believe I've not been signed by Arsenal academy yet, %^*& this...." thing.

We also coach on physique still....ludicrous. We also remain obsessed with trophies when kids should be copying whatever Barca and Ajax do: rondos, small pitches, head height restrictions etc. Let them get a touch, and love the ball...the rest comes later.

And at senior level we either don't play them or make them track back and tackled folk...only here is a 22 year old a youngster.

Teuchterblue

How much of the Welsh thing is down to their clubs being in the English structure?
That's impossible to quantify but I'm convinced that young players regularly tested against, and training with, the very best youngsters will benefit Welsh players. I assume English clubs also invest almost as much time & money inside Wales as they will in England; a young Ryan Giggs is just as valuable to Man Utd as a local kid from Manchester.

Xavi Hernandez

Robertson for me is not World Class. He is a very good player in a brilliant Liverpool team where their style of play and formation will suit any fast wing back with a good delivery. Drop Tavernier into Liverpool's right back slot and he would be a sensation. I thought Ashley Cole was a World Class left back. He could defend and attack in equal measures and very rarely gave right wingers a sniff.

There have been mentions earlier in the thread of Darren Fletcher being world class? Never. Again, a player that performed well in his job surrounded by a team of brilliant players. But never World Class for me.

I know some on here think Barry Ferguson was World Class but again, he was no where near it IMO. There is a reason that out with us he played with Blackburn and Birmingham.

Most smaller nations though need one World Class player and it makes a huge difference. Bale has done it with Wales. Have a solid spine and have then one game changer. Going back a few years, Bulgaria had Stoichkov who allowed them to punch well above their weight.

To a lesser extent, Goran Pandev with Macedonia. Not World Class but a very good player in an average team.

Scotland need one player to step up and be head and shoulders above the rest and there is no one coming through at the minute.

Last edited:

YoungGer97

Too many people in this thread saying Robertson isn't world class purely because they think he wouldn't match up against a left back from say 15 years ago.

What you're forgetting is that ability is relative. Hes the best left back in the world right now, at the very least top 3. Therefore By definition he is a world class player.

Superrangers

That's impossible to quantify but I'm convinced that young players regularly tested against, and training with, the very best youngsters will benefit Welsh players. I assume English clubs also invest almost as much time & money inside Wales as they will in England; a young Ryan Giggs is just as valuable to Man Utd as a local kid from Manchester.
Playing better youngsters can only help drag up your own standard. That’s why it was good for Gerrard/Rangers to line up as many games against
non-Scottish opposition.

Giggs moved to Manchester when he was 6 but yes, the English clubs clearly will scout in Wales.

Teuchterblue

Playing better youngsters can only help drag up your own standard. That’s why it was good for Gerrard/Rangers to line up as many games against
non-Scottish opposition.

Giggs moved to Manchester when he was 6 but yes, the English clubs clearly will scout in Wales.
Ah, I didn't know that about Giggs. The point still stands that whatever is happening in Welsh youth football is night and day compared to here in Scotland - at least until recently. It's also why I don't blame young Scottish kids, or too much xbox, or our wider culture. Our kids are not that different to those of Wales, Belgium or Germany. Yet those countries continue to produce top players.

Nizzy72

I think any exceptionally, skilled flair players at youth level etc are still stifled by stuffy old-school type tactics and mentality.

Goldenboot

parks riddled with glass and dug sh!te, councils selling parks, "no ball games" signs everywhere, lack of 1st class facilities for boys clubs to play/train on, 10 chips shops on every street, overall poor diet.

Thats just off the top of my head

dt17

I think the issue is that nobody really knows what “world class” means.

In my opinion Andy Robertson is the best left back in the world. For me that makes him world class.

If you are comparing him with left backs of the past he’s certainly not going to be the best ever. So in some people’s eyes that might mean he isn’t world class.

He would be first choice left back in any team in the world.
He fits the Liverpool system well, but nobody is convincing me he's better than guys like Jordi Alba or Marcelo.

ICA_86

He fits the Liverpool system well, but nobody is convincing me he's better than guys like Jordi Alba or Marcelo.
You could put Robertson in either the Barca or Madrid team and he wouldn’t look out of place.

Xavi Hernandez

You could put Robertson in either the Barca or Madrid team and he wouldn’t look out of place.
You could say that about hundreds of players. Drop a good player into a well oiled machine and they will comfortably hold their own.

If Robertson starts tearing it up with Scotland and makes a difference game in game out then we can talk about World Class (albeit it is difficult to do this from left back).

It's all about our interpretation of World Class but I think alot of the time folk get mixed up between a World Class player and a player playing in a World Class team (if that makes sense :D).

RFC4ME

You could say that about hundreds of players. Drop a good player into a well oiled machine and they will comfortably hold their own.

If Robertson starts tearing it up with Scotland and makes a difference game in game out then we can talk about World Class (albeit it is difficult to do this from left back).

It's all about our interpretation of World Class but I think alot of the time folk get mixed up between a World Class player and a player playing in a World Class team (if that makes sense :D).
Would Marcelo do that?

TN8

World class gets thrown about far too much and can be a bit ambiguous.

But Andy Robertson is clearly world class. And he's probably the first world class player Scotland has had since the 1980s.

So we've produced one, but can Scotland really take any credit for it? He was punted from Celtic at 15 and ended up playing for Queens Park.