Why did Advocaat hate Amoruso?

BomberBrownFan

Sitting, somewhat drunk, watching the PSV 4-1 game at Ibrox. Big Amo has just scored the opening goal and Advocaat celebrating wildly.

Why didn’t they get on, culminating in the captaincy being stripped? Amo too much of a free spirit?

I was seven when the captaincy was taken off him so can’t remember the nuances of the time. I know Advocaat had tried to sell him in the summer of 2000 but it fell through.

Just doesn’t make sense; a popular Treble and double winning captain getting bombed out by his manager.

I don’t think he did hate him. Amo was prone to some massive errors. He gave the captaincy to Fergie who went on to be a terrific captain
The big man was 99% fukn fantastic. But his 1%, unfortunately for him, were generally pretty catastrophic. I guess Advocaat didn't like the lack of concentration/focus perhaps.

Maybe he also didn't like the fact he was Gallus as F too :p .

Amo certainly does not like him to this day.
That doesn’t mean DA hated him though?
The big man was 99% fukn fantastic. But his 1%, unfortunately for him, were generally pretty catastrophic. I guess Advocaat didn't like the lack of concentration/focus perhaps.

Maybe he also didn't like the fact he was Gallus as F too :p .
Big games he was pretty much always superb. Against the smaller teams at home especially his mind could wander a little.

Sitting, somewhat drunk, watching the PSV 4-1 game at Ibrox. Big Amo has just scored the opening goal and Advocaat celebrating wildly.

Why didn’t they get on, culminating in the captaincy being stripped? Amo too much of a free spirit?

I was seven when the captaincy was taken off him so can’t remember the nuances of the time. I know Advocaat had tried to sell him in the summer of 2000 but it fell through.

Just doesn’t make sense; a popular Treble and double winning captain getting bombed out by his manager.
I'm probably 10 years or so older than you. Amo's commitment and ability was never in question but he was having a nightmare at that specific time think the dressing room was divided aswell. It took the pressure off the big man and his form improved and it was the making of Ferguson.

He didn’t like that Amoruso was outspoken and would argue with him, I will list some examples below.

- Dick banned coloured boots, Amato was being paid a fortune to wear them by Nike or whoever so Amo argued with him about that

- Dick made them wear tighter clothing for streamlining purposes (move quicker) and Amo complained about this.

- Amo complained that he spoke Dutch to the Dutch players.

- Amo refused to do press duties when asked on occasion.

I could go on.

They really didn’t have a good relationship, even though it started so well when Dick said Amo was one of only four players he had when he took over.

In short - they clashed personality wise because Amo couldn’t take to the school teacher (as he calls it) approach.

Dick trying to sell him on a couple of occasions behind his back never sat right with him either, maybe he never rated him, or maybe he just couldn’t be bothered with disobedience.

I imagine a lot more went on behind the scenes, such as giving Barry the captaincy which Amo took as an insult (must have been awkward for Barry).

In all honesty, I don’t know how much you can attribute it to being the managers fault.

Amo would blank him in the street if he seen, I imagine Dick wouldn’t be arsed and say hello then walk on.

Last edited:
Kinda agree mate but apart from the goal against celtic big bert was brutal.

I was at a game I think against Dundee Utd and Bert was having a howler and I think he got stick from all 4 stands that day. I think we chose him over Valgaren(sp) who ended up doing really well with the mhanks.

The Bertieyarder was some goal, I was at hampden that night and it was so surreal as it hit the back of the net, half second delay, then bedlam.

I was at a game I think against Dundee Utd and Bert was having a howler and I think he got stick from all 4 stands that day. I think we chose him over Valgaren(sp) who ended up doing really well with the mhanks.

The Bertieyarder was some goal, I was at hampden that night and it was so surreal as it hit the back of the net, half second delay, then bedlam.
I remember playing Dundee United in October 98 and Amoruso had a howler to allow them to go up 1-0 but then went on to the score the winner that night.. He got some abuse from sections of the support that night !

Amo ended up being superb for us but he lost the captaincy because he kept fucking up and cost us goals with ridiculous mistakes

Losing the captaincy was the best thing for Amo although Advocaat didn’t handle it well from my recollection.

I remember playing Dundee United in October 98 and Amoruso had a howler to allow them to go up 1-0 but then went on to the score the winner that night.. He got some abuse from sections of the support that night !

That game showed how much mental strength the guy had.

When Amo lost the captaincy did he not start wearing boots with green colouring to signify his annoyance?

He didn’t like that Amoruso was outspoken and would argue with him, I will list some examples below.

- Dick banned coloured boots, Amato was being paid a fortune to wear them by Nike or whoever so Amo argued with him about that

- Dick made them wear tighter clothing for streamlining purposes (move quicker) and Amo complained about this.

- Amo complained that he spoke Dutch to the Dutch players.

- Amo refused to do press duties when asked on occasion.

I could go on.

They really didn’t have a good relationship, even though it started so well when Dick said Amo was one of only four players he had when he took over.

In short - they clashed personality wise because Amo couldn’t take to the school teacher (as he calls it) approach.

Dick trying to sell him on a couple of occasions behind his back never sat right with him either, maybe he never rated him, or maybe he just couldn’t be bothered with disobedience.

I imagine a lot more went on behind the scenes, such as giving Barry the captaincy which Amo took as an insult (must have been awkward for Barry).

In all honesty, I don’t know how much you can attribute it to being the managers fault.

Amo would blank him in the street if he seen, I imagine Dick wouldn’t be arsed and say hello then walk on.

I would worry if he spoke Italian to them

I don’t think he did hate him. Amo was prone to some massive errors. He gave the captaincy to Fergie who went on to be a terrific captain
I don't think he hated him. He just saw the potential in Ferguson. I think Advocaat played a more "football by numbers" style, and Amo was a bit unpredictable for his liking. Looking at Fergusons time in the blue jersey it was a good decision.

Behave yourself :oops:
I actually agree.

At the time, as dynamic as Amoruso could be defensively, he frequently over complicated things by embarking on long forays upfield that clearly weren’t part of the plan and left us exposed at the back. He was also, as others have said, prone to needless and at times costly howlers (Parma away, Monaco at home, to name just two off the top of my head).

When he kept it simple and shelved the Beckenbauer pretensions he was a superb centre half, but when it was announced we were signing Konterman - a Dutch international who’d been part of their Euros squad - the general consensus, on here at least, was that it was a sound move.

In retrospect I’ve always maintained it was the catalyst for our subsequent collapse.

Advocaat tried to sell Amoruso to Sunderland as a result of Konterman’s arrival then stripped him of the captaincy. Meanwhile Moore gets injured in the first game of the season keeping him out for a year and Advocaat has to bring the big Italian back to partner a guy that was bought as his replacement.

Disaster quickly followed.

A few brainfarts aside, Amoruso was superb.

Was gutted when it looked like he was for the off.

I met the big man in il pavone round that time and had a chat. He seemed unhappy but told him the fans loved him which got him smiling briefly.

I don't think he hated him. He just saw the potential in Ferguson. I think Advocaat played a more "football by numbers" style, and Amo was a bit unpredictable for his liking. Looking at Fergusons time in the blue jersey it was a good decision.
Ferguson wasn’t actually his first choice, it was Numan (again) but Numan said Barry was a better candidate given the circumstances at the time.

Imagine turning down Rangers captaincy twice, for the benefit of the team.

Top man is Numan.

I totally agree with your post though.

History is kind to Amoruso, he was prone to lapses of concentration and did take some stick from the fans, playing alongside Bert Konterman probably didn’t help things either.

He was part of two treble winning sides though
Absolutely spot on.

Amo, periodically used to have a lapse of concentration during some games.
DA used to rant and rave from the dugout, when Amo was sleepwalking.
Amo I think thought, DA was embarrassing him in front of the other players.

Away to Parma springs to mind.
Didn't he say a long through ball hit a patch of ice?
Monaco at home sticks out for me. On the verge of qualifying for the next round and he has a lapse of concentration and let's Simone score.

Advocaat was a strict disciplinarian, which was great for keeping guys like Ferguson on the straight and narrow, but not so great for free spirits like big Amo, especially when he was known for not being shy in voicing his opinion.

Amo was great for us but always had an occasional howler in him.

Advocaat was also great for us but was very much a cheque book manager.

I think we also paid £4m for Konterman and they paid £2m for Valgaren?

Advocaat was a strict disciplinarian, which was great for keeping guys like Ferguson on the straight and narrow, but not so great for free spirits like big Amo, especially when he was known for not being shy in voicing his opinion.

Amo was great for us but always had an occasional howler in him.

Advocaat was also great for us but was very much a cheque book manager.
Don’t want to derail the thread, but had Murray reigned it in during 00/01 I’m confident we would have avoided the disaster that season.

Dick was a European level coach, but the unlimited access to money meant by that time he wasn’t actually having to coach players.

Think Amo was a bit too much of the 'maverick' for the Little General.

The incident that summed it up for me was during a game V Kilmarnock at Rugby Park (If I remember correctly) when he insisted on taking a free-kick instead of the nominated taker, big Albertz, and having a set to with Jorg at the time and at the final whistle.

I really liked the big chap, and as others have rightly pointed out, he did have a mistake in him but when he was 'on it', oh my, he was some CB.

Think Amo was a bit too much of the 'maverick' for the Little General.

The incident that summed it up for me was during a game V Kilmarnock at Rugby Park (If I remember correctly) when he insisted on taking a free-kick instead of the nominated taker, big Albertz, and having a set to with Jorg at the time and at the final whistle.

I really liked the big chap, and as others have rightly pointed out, he did have a mistake in him but when he was 'on it', oh my, he was some CB.
You are correct, I had completely forgotten about this incident.

I remember him falling out with Mols and Numan also, they blamed him for costing the Monaco game (I think it was that game).

Amo was generally great but his lapses in concentration and overestimation of his ability cost us big time on a few occasions.Still remember big Amo's howler against Monaco. He tried to dribble out of our box with 10min to go and we lost a goal to go to 2-2. Both teams needed to win to get to the knockout stages of the Champions League. The game stayed 2-2 . still pisses me off even now.

Back