Why did Rangers miss out on signing Kenny Dalglish?

EnglishRanger

Someone on here will probably know but I've always wondered why he signed for Celtic when he grew up as a Rangers fan. Did Rangers ever show an interest in him before he signed for Celtic?

I’m sure in one of Dalglish’s books he talks about when him and Danny McGrain had signed for Celtic as youths and were both Rangers fans. They had attended a OF game and Celtic had scored and McGrain cheered. Dalglish asked “why are you cheering for them”.
I'm sure I've read also from one of his books that in one of his first old firm games, Rangers scored and Dalgleish cheered. He was pulled up for cheering when playing for them by none other than, Danny McGrain! Lol

I’m sure in one of Dalglish’s books he talks about when him and Danny McGrain had signed for Celtic as youths and were both Rangers fans. They had attended a OF game and Celtic had scored and McGrain cheered. Dalglish asked “why are you cheering for them”.
League Cup game at Parkhead, we lost 3-1 in 1967 after being 1-0 up on 78mins and missing a pen when Kai Johansen hit the bar and they scored 3 times in last 12 mins.
Why didn't we sign him? Laziness, we were sleeping.

Brilliant lol
You can use any of a handful of names, and ask why this big mouthed guy from good stock, who played for the dark side, and never has anything but a chip on his shoulder and lies to spread about Rangers and their fans, was never signed for Rangers.

While we still to this day, seek out and sign folk like Aribo, Sakala, Kamara, and they continue to sign folk like Kyogo, Griffiths, McCarthy and so on.

It all seems pretty obvious to me?

We also be missed John Wark, McLeish, and Kenny Burns as well as many others....not sure we were on top of scouting then.

I've got the book, if I remember right it was Dalglish that jumped up and cheered, he was desperate to sign for Rangers

I'm sure I've read also from one of his books that in one of his first old firm games, Rangers scored and Dalgleish cheered. He was pulled up for cheering when playing for them by none other than, Danny McGrain! Lol

I'm sure i read that in McGrains book, that he and KD were in the stand in a game against Rangers and McGrain jumped up when Celtic scored and Dalglish said to him "you don't want them to win."

Rangers didnt ask him. He would have signed in a heartbeat.At the time he lived across the road from Ibrox in the Albion multi story flats.

He watched Rangers training from his window.

The story of his signing for Celtc is one of weird coincidence. They had been after him for a while and he was reluctant because of his Rangers leanings. Sean Fallon the then assistant to BJK, car broke down in the Ibrox area. In the days before mobile phones he had to traipse to a telephone box for help, and in the hours they said he would be waiting he decided to visit the Dalgleish home to have one more stab at convincing him to sign for them. Sadly it worked and the rest is history.

If he had signed for his boyhood Rangers, I believe we would be having him in the frame for one of the greatest Rangers.

We also be missed John Wark, McLeish, and Kenny Burns as well as many others....not sure we were on top of scouting then.

Gordon McQueen was another who was a youth player at Ibrox and when he was a regular in the Leeds team Jock Wallace tried to sign him in a cash plus Derek Parlane deal.

How is it you sign for them after wanting to play for Rangers your whole life? it was a good career move, clearly, but just can't understand how you bring yourself to sign for them and commit yourself to sending the second class pigs home happy. Even a Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee United would be prefferable.

Fck Dalglish.

Guy I know well played with KD at Junior level where he was on loan and said yeah already a superb footballer , the guy I know later became a scout for Rangers under the real Big Jock Wallace and had them sign Davie Cooper and I think Gordon Smith . Rangers didn’t properly support the manager at that time and while they aimed and prized Hansen and Strachan the board did not meet there requests . Hansen went to Liverpool for about 100k and Strachan to Aberdeen for a much smaller fee but still one Rangers chose not to find .

As someone said you can’t buy everyone but those players would very likely have been game changers especially if Daglish was signed too.

Any truth to the old story that does the rounds down here at the bottom of England? That he frantically tore down all his Rangers posters in his room when he heard there was a scum scout coming to speak to him?

His dad should have been battering down the front door of Ibrox demanding Rangers give his boy a trial, he just lived across from Ibrox.

The fact that the rotten mob were already interested in him was all the incentive we should have needed.

One who should have never got away.

His loss though, if he ever meets up with Scott Alan they can muse over their mutual betrayal of the club they claimed to have loved.

Guy I know well played with KD at Junior level where he was on loan and said yeah already a superb footballer , the guy I know later became a scout for Rangers under the real Big Jock Wallace and had them sign Davie Cooper and I think Gordon Smith . Rangers didn’t properly support the manager at that time and while they aimed and prized Hansen and Strachan the board did not meet there requests . Hansen went to Liverpool for about 100k and Strachan to Aberdeen for a much smaller fee but still one Rangers chose not to find .

As someone said you can’t buy everyone but those players would very likely have been game changers especially if Daglish was signed too.
yes, Hansen was another. my old man still goes on about that

Any truth to the old story that does the rounds down here at the bottom of England? That he frantically tore down all his Rangers posters in his room when he heard there was a scum scout coming to speak to him?
think we've all heard that one

It's all about scouting. If your scouts can't identify talent, you won't signed talent. BTW, my mate played at Possil YM with him, Dalglish turned up at training with his Rangers scarf.

Our scouting system was amateurish back then. We missed out on Dalglish, McGrain and Willie Miller, yet could somehow sign Jim Denny and Ally Scott! How else can you explain that one?

Kenny has never been subject to horrific verbal abuse or worse by Rangers fans for signing and playing for Celtc. Look how that mob still act like the bigoted lunatics they are when Mo Johnston's name is mentioned. That's the difference between us and them, yet the media portray Bears as " bigots ".
That might have something to do with their own bigotry given given recent exposed historical tweets and a clear open bias against us!

I said before Danny McGrain was also sitting waiting for the Rangers rep to come to his house to sign him and was left waiting. His mother always believed it was his name that stopped him signing for Rangers. She became a red hot Rangers supporter to a bitter Rangers hater. The McGrains were friends of my family so I know this as fact.

Our scouting system was amateurish back then. We missed out on Dalglish, McGrain and Willie Miller, yet could somehow sign Jim Denny and Ally Scott! How else can you explain that one?
Probably an element of ‘pompousness ’ about us at the time tbh.

Most likely expected good players to crawl on their hands and knees and beg to play for us.

Has to be one of our biggest mistakes missing out on arguably the greatest footballer Scotland has produced.

Back