Why did Rangers miss out on signing Kenny Dalglish?

McGrain used to be quite regular at Blawarthill Parish church when he played for them. I mind seeing him a few pews behind me during BB church services.

We let Burns go, allegedly because he was too dirty a player.

If my memory serves me the reason we released Burns was after he was sent off 3 games in a row while playing for Glasgow Amateurs.
He then signed for Birmingham and played upfront with the wonder kid Trevor Francis.
Later transferred to Notts Forest where Brian Clough changed his position from striker to centre back and his career took off.

Any truth to the old story that does the rounds down here at the bottom of England? That he frantically tore down all his Rangers posters in his room when he heard there was a scum scout coming to speak to him?
No he took then down after he signed for them while crying his eyes out. My late wife knew him from school and they were in a group that ran about together.

I’m sure in one of Dalglish’s books he talks about when him and Danny McGrain had signed for Celtic as youths and were both Rangers fans. They had attended a OF game and Celtic had scored and McGrain cheered. Dalglish asked “why are you cheering for them”.
That line was actually in Danny Mcgrain,s book

Probably an element of ‘pompousness ’ about us at the time tbh.

Most likely expected good players to crawl on their hands and knees and beg to play for us.

Basically this and also a very stingy board of directors. The huge success of the club during the Struth and Symon eras had bred that attitude In my opinion Rangers only really began to modernise as a club when Graeme Souness walked through the door in Edmiston Drive.

He watched Rangers training from his window.

The story of his signing for Celtc is one of weird coincidence. They had been after him for a while and he was reluctant because of his Rangers leanings. Sean Fallon the then assistant to BJK, car broke down in the Ibrox area. In the days before mobile phones he had to traipse to a telephone box for help, and in the hours they said he would be waiting he decided to visit the Dalgleish home to have one more stab at convincing him to sign for them. Sadly it worked and the rest is history.

If he had signed for his boyhood Rangers, I believe we would be having him in the frame for one of the greatest Rangers.
Correct--His parents flat overlooked Rangers training ground the old Albion greyhound stadium.

No he took then down after he signed for them while crying his eyes out. My late wife knew him from school and they were in a group that ran about together.
Was she from Milton / Possil area?

I know he went to High Possil Senior.

Scouting system was abysmal, we lost out on a lot of talent in the 60's but we also had good to great players on our books, but not what we could have got hold of back then.

Basically this and also a very stingy board of directors. The huge success of the club during the Struth and Symon eras had bred that attitude In my opinion Rangers only really began to modernise as a club when Graeme Souness walked through the door in Edmiston Drive.
Correct, remember even Davie Cooper threatened to leave Rangers on account of the club's refusal to pay a signing on fee [£10k I think]. This was common place at other clubs when players renewed contracts.

Penny pinching?
Certainly seems like the regimes were very much ultra-conservative and indeed mean in how they salaried our players in those times but Id doubt that as the reason for not signing Dalglish and McGrain mate .
Taking a more open mind it seems there was a stream of good quality players around in those days maybe it was simply judgement calls that fell on the wrong side .

Last edited:
As long as it’s a real quote I’m happy LOL
It's a real quote alright, Mcgrain,s book was lying in our tee shack a number of years ago, I started reading through it & I think that quote was in the first or second chapter.
Mcgrain also mentioned that the Rangers scouts were under the impression he was an RC because of his name.
Two guys I'd have loved to have seen in Royal blue

Re the tales about us allegedly not signing McGrain because of his name, he said relatively recently: "I don't know if that story's true. Over the years that followed nobody from Rangers ever told me they wanted to sign me".

We can’t sign everyone. We’ve missed many talented players over the years as have Celtic. Kenny was just an example. They’ll be many more that we manage to sign and many that we miss.

Someone on here will probably know but I've always wondered why he signed for Celtic when he grew up as a Rangers fan. Did Rangers ever show an interest in him before he signed for Celtic?
I remember reading he and Danny McGrain got picked up by celtic at the same time and Dalgleish couldn't understand that McGrain didn't support Rangers anymore.

Another thing that seems to get repeated a lot in this story is that Rangers and celtic were in a race to his door and they got there first. This isn't true. There was more than a year, maybe nearer two between us telling Dalglish that we were not interested and him signing for them.

In between times he signed for Glasgow United, as did Alex O'Hara.

The story I heard many years ago was that a Rangers scout did go to watch him but was more impressed by the defender he was playing against and we signed him instead.
Probably nonsense, back then people didn’t need WhatsApp to spout shite rumours.

It is my understanding that Rangers sent club captain John Greig to try to persuade Kenny to sign. Celtic on the other hand sent Jock Stein to persuade the boy. I believe Dalglish's parents felt that Celtic were the more serious about signing him and pointed him in that direction, unfortunately.

I used to think we had two Jardines back then...Sandy and Willie :D

There was actually another Jardine at Ibrox around 66/67 when Sandy was there. This was a J.Jardine from Stirling i think but he never played a first team game. He featured on one of the large format black and white photos with the blue trim which they used to sell outside Ibrox in the 60's. These big photos had all the players first team and reserves and were very popular with us youngsters back then.

Oddly enough, we had more than one scout.

Yes and our scouts in the East of Scotland and Fife seemed to have done a decent job back then. We do seem to have missed out on a number of players from the Glasgow area who we should certainly have been interested in at that time. I recall Alex Ferguson making the point about the lack of Glaswegians at Ibrox in one of his books.

Back