Why did Tav get the pen away?

MrBrightside

Not every rangers captain takes penalties no. But he was the designated penalty taker for a long long time and chose the biggest moment in our recent history to pass the buck. I'm sick of people trying to sugarcoat this.
Are you also in the 'Gerrard's a liar' camp?

Arkanoid

Are you also in the 'Gerrard's a liar' camp?
Gerrard protecting his players is a white lie in the course of scum charlatans who have darkened our recent history. Should Tav take another pen? Nope? I want a Rangers Captain to be man enough to strike a penalty (particularly as nominated Penalty taker ) and miss...we need leaders. Gough was privileged enough to be surrounded by wonderful attacking players. But Richard Gough, score or miss as OUR Captain strikes that penalty, as does Butcher before him Greig and DJ, Laudrup and Ferguson after them

Marvin_Andrews_Loyal

He is a coward and never a Rangers captain.... That was final straw today.

Imagine likes of Gough doing that? Sutton called him out and he did nothing to prove him wrong

ibrox1975

I think we’re overreacting here.
The story is a simple one.
A. Tav had missed a few
B. The management had previously decided to switch the penalty taker to Alfie
C. When penalty was awarded it was the first one since the switch, it was only right for Tav to hand the ball to Alfie.
I personally thought it was the right decision at the time.
I suspect Alfie will now be practising penalties like a madman for the next few months

CooperTrueBlue

Official Ticketer
I quite believe Alfie was on penalties.

The issue is why was Tav up in the box with the ball handing it to Alfie, that alone looks like he was handing the responsibility

Stupid moment from an actual cluster phuck of a situation all round

Installer

The issue is why was Tav up in the box with the ball handing it to Alfie, that alone looks like he was handing the responsibility

Maybe he was asking Morelos if he was up for it and if not he'd take it?

ArnoldRimmer

It's absolutely incredible the amount of posters on here who only show up when we have a bad result... Nowhere to be seen when we win.

A few of the usual suspects out in force in this thread.

ronadamus_prime

That’s exactly what I thought afterwards.
Same. By the time the penalty came to be Alfie had been unlucky with quite a few chances already. Seemed Tav was making sure Morelos was okay to take the pen.

Tav could have overruled Gerrard's decision and missed. We'd be having the exact same debate on here only the semantics would be different. Why did Tav take another penalty would have been the jist of it. Seems the figure of hate weirdly remains the same in either situation.

dh1963

There are a few posts on this thread that could have been written by Chris Sutton.

He must be delighted to have got his Rangers hating nonsense into the heads of so many of our fans.

Hammy

This was never the game to switch penalty kick takers and should never have been Morelos. Alfie simply doesn’t have the composure in a one on one situation and he had been trying too hard too score throughout the game. Composure out the window, hit the ball as hard as he could.

Knew as soon as he stepped up he was going to miss.

dt17

Some amount of absolute roasters on here made to look stupid after Gerrard confirmed Morelos is the penalty taker.

Tav grabbed the ball, gave it to Morelos and presumably gave him words of encouragement yet the Rangers da's on here are calling him a coward for doing so.

Also funny how it's went from Tav shiting it to Gerrard covering for him. What's next? Fucking bunch of body language experts in the thread as well. Laughable.

Last edited:

Installer

So tav made that decision based on social media options???
He’s our captain who’s been under performing on occasions this season & had a superb opportunity to lead from the front(what captains do),penalty v Celtic at the rangers end in a cup final and he passed the buck in my opinion!
He should’ve drilled that clean into the net & lapped it up then went on to pump those %^*& pigs who were a man down.
He has to be off penalty’s from now on,if it was pre arranged then he wouldnt have had the ball in his hands,I think he bricked it I’m afraid
Like a lot on here it would appear you can't make up your mind whether you want him to take them or not. You're giving him a hard time for not performing like a captain and taking the penalty but now you don't want him to take penalties.

Which is it?

It would have been Gerrard's and Taverniers decision
Social media has a great influence on the media and as soon as he missed the last penalty and had a couple of poor games, the media were right on top of him based on social media and questions were being asked.

My opinion it was the wrong decision to take him off penalties.

Why did he hand the ball to Morelos? Morelos was having a bad game, he was probably asking him if he was up for it and if not he would have stepped up like a Captain and taken it. That's what a Captain does.

Once a BEAR

Some amount of absolute roasters on here made to look stupid after Gerrard confirmed Morelos is the penalty taker.

Tav grabbed the ball, gave it to Morelos and presumably gave him words of encouragement yet the Rangers da's on here are calling him a coward for doing so.

Also funny how it's went from Tav shiting it to Gerrard covering for him. What's next? Fucking bunch of body language experts in the thread as well. Laughable.
Fucking spot on

RFC4ME

Tavernier said: “I’m more than confident to step up again.

“I have had a bit of grief from a couple of the lads – mainly from Alfredo because he wants to take one. He jokes saying ‘no more penalties’ for me but he has no chance of taking one!

Tavernier said: “It happened last season when I missed but I was confident to step up for the next one and put it away.

“Even if you had said in the first season that I came, I would have taken that responsibility. I love to take responsibility on anything and I believe in myself. Now I’m captain, I am happy to be in that position from 12 yards.”

Quite the change really...…

As an aside, I do actually think it was given to Morelos on the hoof to try and end the run of not scoring against them which felt like even at the time self indulgent bull shit

dt17

I think Barasic should take the pens, hits the best dead ball at the club
Most footballers, amateur or professional can hit a ball from 12 yards into the goal. As good as Barisic is from free kicks, having the bottle to step up to hit a penalty is a different scenario altogether.

cloodie

According to the reporter from The Athletic he offered words of encouragement to Alfie while handing him the ball.

TinyRick

According to the reporter from The Athletic he offered words of encouragement to Alfie while handing him the ball.
Said at the time I fully believe Tav was being a proper leader, geeing up both Alfie and the support by making a dramatic handing of the ball to the player who has been continually pilloried for not scoring against the scum. Sadly it didn't work out the way it should have, but the same folk who criticise him for 'bottling it' would still be making the same accusations cause it suits their entrenched position.

Bigbluebear

Tavernier said: “I’m more than confident to step up again.

“I have had a bit of grief from a couple of the lads – mainly from Alfredo because he wants to take one. He jokes saying ‘no more penalties’ for me but he has no chance of taking one!

Tavernier said: “It happened last season when I missed but I was confident to step up for the next one and put it away.

“Even if you had said in the first season that I came, I would have taken that responsibility. I love to take responsibility on anything and I believe in myself. Now I’m captain, I am happy to be in that position from 12 yards.”

Quite the change really...…

As an aside, I do actually think it was given to Morelos on the hoof to try and end the run of not scoring against them which felt like even at the time self indulgent bull shit
I think your opinion which is designed to just back up previous criticism of Tav and the team in general is self indulgent bull shit.

If Morelos wasnt supposed to take that penalty the management team would have been going mental at the time.

The fact they weren't says it all.

govwalker

He is a coward and never a Rangers captain.... That was final straw today.

Imagine likes of Gough doing that? Sutton called him out and he did nothing to prove him wrong
Listen I'm not taking another ban due to another nugget on here but your fcking out of order calling Our Captain a coward.

Hang your head in shame.

RFC4ME

I think your opinion which is designed to just back up previous criticism of Tav and the team in general is self indulgent bull shit.

If Morelos wasnt supposed to take that penalty the management team would have been going mental at the time.
Course they would....

Latest posts