Why did Tav get the pen away?

However, Gerrard insists Morelos was the designated penalty taker for the afternoon.

He added: ‘Alfredo was the nominated penalty taker, yeah.

‘It was certainly a big moment for him. In terms of what was going through his mind, you’d have to ask Alfredo. It was a very, very big moment in the game, red card, you score the penalty you’ve got the extra man advantage with a big chunk of the game left.

I think we've already established what he MAY be doing here?

I was also referring to the claim made by @MrBrightside that Tav was definitely off penalties and he produced no such thing, unless he's telepathic.

so, you’re implying that Gerrard is a liar?

I'm implying that Gerrard may be protecting a much-maligned captain about whom he's already urged the fans to support more, yes.

You're in for a big shock if you think Gerrard, or any football manager, is above that.

Not a "slate the team post" but why heap even more pressure on ourselves by giving spot kick to Alfie who has not scored against them :(
Why heap more pressure on Tav who’s missed a few? Or heap pressure on someone who never takes them?

It was fair call to my mind. But Alfie cocked it up. I wont hold that against him either.

I'm implying that Gerrard may be protecting a much-maligned captain about whom he's already urged the fans to support more, yes.

You're in for a big shock if you think Gerrard, or any football manager, is above that.

I’d never expect any Rangers manager much less Steven Gerrard who’s a man of integrity to come out and lie.

whit? I got you banned? I don’t even know how to get anyone banned ffs. If you got banned, that’s on you, because of your trolling nature.

prior to today, I challenge you to find a comment in the past where I’ve had a go at Tav. I’ll be waiting forever.
Trolling nature?
If Defending the captain of my club from the shit he gets thrown from a lot of people on here is trolling then guilty as charged.

Why heap more pressure on Tav who’s missed a few? Or heap pressure on someone who never takes them?

It was fair call to my mind. But Alfie cocked it up. I wont hold that against him either.
Vinnie it's so easy to criticize when it does not go our way but if Tav off penalties I still would not have been confident giving it to Alfie who is not exactly prolific against the tims.

Whatever way we all look at it,it's a sad day for our club that we lost to those scumbags

see quote from manager, then hang your head in shame.

However, Gerrard insists Morelos was the designated penalty taker for the afternoon.

He added: ‘Alfredo was the nominated penalty taker, yeah.

‘It was certainly a big moment for him. In terms of what was going through his mind, you’d have to ask Alfredo. It was a very, very big moment in the game, red card, you score the penalty you’ve got the extra man advantage with a big chunk of the game left.
Right.ok

Today wasn’t about Moreos’s personal quest for an OF goal though, it was about us winning the league cup and breaking their dominance.
I suspect they both, felt dead confident. I know I did.

I believe its now emerged it was pre-set to he Alfie? It happened to be Tav who got hold of the ball and handed it to him. Would this thread exist if Kamara had given the ball to Alfie?

I think you are making shite up in your own mind to satisfy your nonsense ideas.
No ones mentioned tav being off penalties at all so its seems some on here are making this up.
Gerrard said it post interview but he could be protecting his player who in their right mind would have gave that penalty to Morelos today.

Vinnie it's so easy to criticize when it does not go our way but if Tav off penalties I still would not have been confident giving it to Alfie who is not exactly prolific against the tims.

Whatever way we all look at it,it's a sad day for our club that we lost to those scumbags
Oh don't get me wrong, im not criticising either of them. I thought it was a good call, and I watched confidently until he hit it. Forster ended up having a good game too.

It wasn't our day. Painful as it is, we now move on to getting into the EL last 32.

I suspect they both, felt dead confident. I know I did.

I believe its now emerged it was pre-set to he Alfie? It happened to be Tav who got hold of the ball and handed it to him. Would this thread exist if Kamara had given the ball to Alfie?

Of course not. But the belief is that Tav was actually the designated hitter and merely lost his nerve and passed the buck to Alfie. I didn’t notice Tav grabbing the ball at the time, so knowing now that he grabbed the ball makes me wonder if there’s something to that. If it were true then I have to say I’d be really disappointed in him because it would be a cowardly act to relieve pressure on himself whilst putting it onto someone else.

But, there’s no way of knowing if that’s true and the gaffer insists Morelos was the designated taker. So I won’t be laying into Tavernier.

You could easily have made your point without adding that part at the end. I agree with you, but your point about Gerrard protecting the players can stand on its own surely.

Not sure what's noteworthy enough about that second sentence in the first place for you to highlight it?

Yes its out their now but was never mentioned six weeks ago like you said. How many of us really watch interviews after we get beat.
It was mentioned 6 weeks ago.....

James Tavernier set to lose Rangers penalty duty as Steven Gerrard makes big call to fans

But Gerrard - who called for Rangers supporters to get behind under-fire Tavernier - admitted afterwards he could now step in and remove the spot kick responsibility from his captain with Defoe or Alfredo Morelos likely to be handed that duty.

He said: "I'll consider it.

"I don't think I have to make that decision right now but it will certainly be something on my mind in the next 24 - 48 hours.

I was behind the goal, tav picked the ball up and Alfie wanted it, defoe was at the post warming up and shouted to tav and was pointing at Alfie, tav then handed the ball over, I think Gerrard was covering by saying it was pre determined tbh. I can see why he handed it over after missing a few and having the crowd on his back, he has gave it to the man on form to break his hoodoo. It is just one of those things. If Alfie scores no one bat's an eye at tav giving it over, he may even have been praised for doing so, if tav takes it and misses then he is slated again, not one person would say "at least he stepped up like a leader"

We need to decide who is the pen taker and who is the backup moving forward

James Tavernier set to lose Rangers penalty duty as Steven Gerrard makes big call to fans

But Gerrard - who called for Rangers supporters to get behind under-fire Tavernier - admitted afterwards he could now step in and remove the spot kick responsibility from his captain with Defoe or Alfredo Morelos likely to be handed that duty.

"I don't think I have to make that decision right now but it will certainly be something on my mind in the next 24 - 48 hours.

This was not a definite decision though as you can see even reading that I have saw Gerrard in interviews saying it was up to tav as captain.

You're referring to again a quote that indicates that Gerrard is thinking about but not confirming who the penalty kick taker will be. That's mental.

Of course not. But the belief is that Tav was actually the designated hitter and merely lost his nerve and passed the buck to Alfie. I didn’t notice Tav grabbing the ball at the time, so knowing now that he grabbed the ball makes me wonder if there’s something to that. If it were true then I have to say I’d be really disappointed in him because it would be a cowardly act to relieve pressure on himself whilst putting it onto someone else.

But, there’s no way of knowing if that’s true and the gaffer insists Morelos was the designated taker. So I won’t be laying into Tavernier.
To be honest I’ve never been for designating a set PK taker. There’s plenty of people in the team who can score a free kick from 20+ yards with a wall in the way that isn't dead centre. Its unacceptable to be missing from 12 yards looking at only the goalie!

It was a pressure kick, maybe Alfie with his record, shouldn't have taken it.

But yeah, Tav picked up the ball, from where I didnt see, TV didn't show it, but he handed the ball directly to Alfie and walked away without a word.

His body language suggested “get this in and we’ll sort this scoreline out”.

No ones mentioned tav being off penalties at all so its seems some on here are making this up.
Gerrard said it post interview but he could be protecting his player who in their right mind would have gave that penalty to Morelos today.

You are questioning the manager's integrity as well now. Interesting viewpoints.

Guys
Let’s not talk pish
Tav was and is the pen taker

he gave in to a whingin wee guy

both are at fault

Eh? Morelos wasn’t exactly crying out for it. He was offered the ball. Either because he was the designated hitter, or as some here believe, because Tav shat it.

Tav gave morelos it as a gesture like on you go son shut the fckers up,sadly he missed.cun t of a day for all of us players and fans alike

Your insinuation that Gerrard could be lying to protect.

Tav bottled it.

Etc etc.

If Tav fcked up and gave Morelos the penalty when he shouldn't have had, would you expect Gerrard to come out and publicly criticise the captain of Rangers when he'd already asked for the support to be more patient and tolerant of him?

If Tav fcked up and gave Morelos the penalty when he shouldn't have had, would you expect Gerrard to come out and publicly criticise the captain of Rangers when he'd already asked for the support to be more patient and tolerant of him?

Did Tav %^*& up? Or was it Morelos' who made the %^*& up with a dreadful penalty?

He should have stepped up like a Rangers captain, taken a prober run up and smashed it home.

Why didn't Morelos immediately take the ball and plant it on the spot - Tavernier was in possession of the ball and handed it to Morelos.

As for Morelos, you can't miss a penalty in a cup final. An absolutely shit penalty at that.

No confidence in either Tavernier or Morelos when we were awarded that penalty.

IMO Morelos just fancied it more than Tavernier and I have no problem with Tavernier handing it to another player who feels confident in scoring on the day. If Tavernier didn't fancy his chances of scoring it then so what and I can understand that by the way lurch was stopping everything directed at him. For what it's worth Morelos is not a penalty taker IMO, It takes somebody with a cool head. If Defoe was playing every week he would be ideal. And I'm not Tavernier's biggest fan.

Not the question I'm asking.

"If" was the operative word. Let's change it to "Imagine."

Gerrard has critisised the players before this season, so you'd imagine he would've done the same tonight.

Tavernier is the convenient scapegoat, imo. But it'll be all "aye, wee alfie" etc. when it was he who actually missed the spotkick.

Back